Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1 | Happy New Year!

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This team is getting there.

Fools gold right now for plenty of reasons and just like it was with Babcock it's 100% individual player related that a coach can't really do all that much about it.

With all the talk about some of the Keefes's coaching the only real good change he's made is the change to a Carlyle defensive zone.

The ugly is still there.

-Matthews in spite of his production his inconsistent compete is still very much an issue. Having Hyman hides a lot of it right now.

- Reilly playing hurt or not is nowhere near where he needs to be or capable of if this team is to be "Getting There"

- Barry is way worst than even an injured Jake Gardiner. They need to trade this guy he's a liability that will cost this team big time in the playoffs.

There's more like loosing #65 but the #1 reason that makes the Leafs fools gold is that nobody in the upper management has the balls to call the league out for it's travesty in penalty calls... This alone is what will sink this team in the season that matters. 60 -40% game management officiating consistently with the Leafs on the short hand is a movie that we've seen for way too long against the Leafs. It's too much to overcome hence the Fools Gold label I have on our team. Management needs to take a page from Nick Nurse until they speak out this BS officiating wont stop and the team wont being going anywhere.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Fools gold right now for plenty of reasons and just like it was with Babcock it's 100% individual player related that a coach can't really do all that much about it.

With all the talk about some of the Keefes's coaching the only real good change he's made is the change to a Carlyle defensive zone.

The ugly is still there.

-Matthews in spite of his production his inconsistent compete is still very much an issue. Having Hyman hides a lot of it right now.

- Reilly playing hurt or not is nowhere near where he needs to be or capable of if this team is to be "Getting There"

- Barry is way worst than even an injured Jake Gardiner. They need to trade this guy he's a liability that will cost this team big time in the playoffs.

There's more like loosing #65 but the #1 reason that makes the Leafs fools gold is that nobody in the upper management has the balls to call the league out for it's travesty in penalty calls... This alone is what will sink this team in the season that matters. 60 -40% game management officiating consistently with the Leafs on the short hand is a movie that we've seen for way too long against the Leafs. It's too much to overcome hence the Fools Gold label I have on our team. Management needs to take a page from Nick Nurse until they speak out this BS officiating wont stop and the team wont being going anywhere.

Should be a dislike button.

What a disaster of a post.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The one thing I didn't like, and I know most won't agree or understand this POV.

I don't like Matthews out there blocking shots, I don't want guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander blocking shots because if they block it wrong and something breaks that hurts us long term, I don't like those guys out there risking injury especially if it's a multiple goal lead and they game is locked down which it was.

Let Engvall, or Brooks or Goat block shots in the last 2 minutes, if they get hurt they are replaceable.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander they aren't

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The one thing I didn't like, and I know most won't agree or understand this POV.

I don't like Matthews out there blocking shots, I don't want guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander blocking shots because if they block it wrong and something breaks that hurts us long term, I don't like those guys out there risking injury especially if it's a multiple goal lead and they game is locked down which it was.

Let Engvall, or Brooks or Goat block shots in the last 2 minutes, if they get hurt they are replaceable.

I agree with this. Which is why I also think Marner shouldn't be on the PK (even though he's really bloody good at it).

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

upload_2020-1-1_13-3-55.jpeg

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010

Completely disagree. Our top guys need to learn that sometimes it's necessary to put their bodies on the line for the win.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
You say that now until Matthews is out 6 weeks with a broken foot
I'd rather Matthews puts his heart, soul and body on the line every single night and gets a couple injuries every season, rather than him being a sheltered prima donna afraid to break his toe.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The ugly is still there.

Babcock called out the refs, and the next year we were dead last in PP opportunities.

Dubas doesn't need to say anything, Rogers/Bell do.

I'd rather Matthews puts his heart, soul and body on the line every single night and gets a couple injuries every season, rather than him being a sheltered prima donna afraid to break his toe.

I honestly can't tell if you're a parody account or not.

Reactions: WillNy29 and kb

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Excellent win after a great run.

Love the Keerfoot-JT-Nylander line right now. Matty just keeps on trucking ey?

Im still concerned with Reilly - not sure what the hell is up with him.

Interesting that it takes a guy like Marner to drive Matthews, it tells me who the elite player is on that line. As for Rielly? Yea not sure what's up with him, is it an injury? Mental thing? Whatever it is, he has a lot more to give than he has showed this year so far.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Lol are you really criticising Matthews' season? Log off Cherry

Nobody is criticizing his skill, its his motivation and attention to detail that have been rightfully questioned by many. Having that said I'll give Matthews this, since Keefe took over and since Marner has been on his line, Matthews has been a beast out there in all zones.I think the thing is and I'm sure someone said this already he needs a guy to motivate him, if he plays with complacent players he quickly becomes one himself. That's why I like him w/Marner, Marner forces you to work your ass off and compete, that's exactly what Matthews needs to take the next step.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Interesting that it takes a guy like Marner to drive Matthews, it tells me who the elite player is on that line. As for Rielly? Yea not sure what's up with him, is it an injury? Mental thing? Whatever it is, he has a lot more to give than he has showed this year so far.
Matthews line has been dominant throughout the season, with him clearly among the top in even strength points. He's been awesome even strength all season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marner driving Matthews??

You must be joking.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Marner driving Matthews??

You must be joking.

Joking? Nope. Proof is in the pudding, since Marner's return from injury/being placed on Matthews line:

Marner- 12 games: 6 goals, 13 assists 19 points
Matthews: 11 game: 6 goals, 11 assists, 17 points (point 127 points per game)

Mattews prior to Marner being on his line- 30 games- 21 goals, 10 assists, 31 points (ppg pace of 84)

Yep Marner has elevated Matthews for sure.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006

The ugly is still there.

Is that you Grandpa??

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006

It’s hockey, not slo-pitch softball. So come playoff time especially, if your star players lay out to block shots what do you think the rest of the team would do? It’s a contact sport. Imagine telling Steve Yzerman to not block shots. There is a price to pay in hockey. Broken foot, broken hand, broken face. Whatever you need to do for the cup, whatever it takes as a unit. Star or grinder. That’s hockey.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Joking? Nope. Proof is in the pudding, since Marner's return from injury/being placed on Matthews line:

Marner- 12 games: 6 goals, 13 assists 19 points
Matthews: 11 game: 6 goals, 11 assists, 17 points (point 127 points per game)

Mattews prior to Marner being on his line- 30 games- 21 goals, 10 assists, 31 points (ppg pace of 84)

Yep Marner has elevated Matthews for sure.
Except that wasn't when they were put together full time. It was later.

Cool story though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It’s hockey, not slo-pitch softball. So come playoff time especially, if your star players lay out to block shots what do you think the rest of the team would do? It’s a contact sport. Imagine telling Steve Yzerman to not block shots. There is a price to pay in hockey. Broken foot, broken hand, broken face. Whatever you need to do for the cup, whatever it takes as a unit. Star or grinder. That’s hockey.

This isn't a playoff series it was a game in December that was already locked down

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
This isn't a playoff series it was a game in December that was already locked down
Strange. Everyone singing a different tune 15 games ago that we need to treat every game like a playoff game to make the playoffs. Everyone on the ledge. People saying they have no heart. Call Babcock back nobody blocks shot, happy? Also in what world are leaf games ever locked down, I just watched a game where they were scored on 3 times in less than a minute.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015

The ugly is still there.

This is a BS post!

The team is playing great and let's enjoy that. I don't have expectations that leafs will be this domainant #1 team that destroys other teams each and every night..

Let's enjoy the good times and I hope people stop being so cynical.

Look around the league and every team is complaining about reffing. FFS Vegas lost a round because of a BS call and I don't see them talking trash about their team and the league.

Grow up, it's a man's league and shit happens.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
I just keep thinking maybe Rielly is saving it all for 2020 games. He is so much better than what he has shown this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad