Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1 (again) thanks to our new superstar... Tyler Ennis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Ennis was signed for depth, for terms that is essentially no risk and everything to gain from his play. No one is expecting him to be one of the new stars of this team.

How anyone can look at his game yesterday, his first of the preseason and say he was bad and inadequate is simply filling into some sort of agenda or personal bias. Maybe you don't want him to take a spot from possible youth, or you don't want him dragging down Matthews.

He was good on the cycle, he was key to the play building up to the first goal, sniped for his own goal, and had a cherry on top of getting the empty net. What they want from him is to show he has the ability to essentially fill in offensively in case of injury, suspension, poor play. You should not be gushing over his play but you shouldn't be downplaying it with no basis either.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Great response, you're really explaining why Kapanen is bad, why the Kessel trade was awful and why people should be happy with concern trolls.

And I have, I just read your posts and realize it failed.

Only through the lens of a Leafs ' Ultimate Cheerleader.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Their Corsi and Fenwick were identical. So, I'd say it comes to usage. If Marleau was utilized as Brown was last year, his production would have suffered as well.

Marleau had 203 shots in 82 games. This works out to 2.475 shots per game, or 2.475 shots per 16:59. Marleau had a shooting % of 13.3%

Brown had 119 shots in 82 games. This works out to 1.451 shots per game, or 1.451 shots per 15:01. Brown had a shooting % of 11.8%.

Assuming Brown played the same amount of minutes as Marleau (17/15=1.13333 times more ice time), then Brown would have produced a rounded 135 shots. With 11.8% shooting he would have had 16 goals.

That works out to 2 more goals than he produced (a total of 14 to 16).

Marleau also played in defensive matchups as well.

Regardless, Connor Brown =/= Patrick Marleau.

Reactions: Boutette

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau had 203 shots in 82 games. This works out to 2.475 shots per game, or 2.475 shots per 16:59. Marleau had a shooting % of 13.3%

Brown had 119 shots in 82 games. This works out to 1.451 shots per game, or 1.451 shots per 15:01. Brown had a shooting % of 11.8%.

Assuming Brown played the same amount of minutes as Marleau (17/15=1.13333 times more ice time), then Brown would have produced a rounded 135 shots. With 11.8% shooting he would have had 16 goals.

That works out to 2 more goals than he produced (a total of 14 to 16).

Marleau also played in defensive matchups as well.

Regardless, Connor Brown =/= Patrick Marleau.

Add the fact that Connor played with lower quality linemates or was required to play a defensive role, and put in significant minutes on the PK whereas Marleau put in significant time on the PP. Marleau's role was to score goals last year. Brown's role was to prevent goals from going in the Leafs net.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
honestly, in the end, it comes down between ennis and leivo, and who is gonna end up being the 13th forward. i could imagine that they have leivo on the kadri line to see how they mesh and play together and if he is good enough to grab the spot (brown is pretty much set). but, if ennis plays relatively well (he wasnt awful, but he wasn't great, either), i could see the leafs slot him next to kadri.

i don't believe ennis will be re-signed next year, but he is good to have in case someone goes down with injury.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Why? If Ennis hypothetically plays better than Leivo and produces more than Leivo, why shouldn't Ennis play over Leivo? In the end this season should be for the best possible results and who ever leads to that in bubble players should get the spot.
Cause he looked bad yesterday.

Nice shot to score his first goal, but thats about it.

Leivo looked solid in his first game, even tho the results werent there.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls

How did he look bad? I wouldn't say he looked amazing, but he did everything that was asked of him. He did not bog down the top line, and that lead to two goals (not counting the empty net goal).

I would agree that Leivo looked good as well, but how on earth you see Leivo playing solid and Ennis bad is silly. They both had positive debuts to the preseason.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I thought they both looked about the same, both played ok.
Two players that no one should really care very much if they make the team or not.

monkeyboy

Sep 19, 2018
Fact is Leivo (who I'm cheering for) needs to up his game. He wasn't bad but he wasn't great either and now is when he needs to bring his A game. Still early yet but we and he needs to be better way to many talented players looking for a spot and Lievo's time is running out. I like him and believe he is going to be a great NHLer but maybe not with the Leafs. I think we all agree he has a better game in him so Lievo if you read this get the adrenaline flowing and BRING IT Bud. I for one want you on this team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leivo looked far better than Ennis in their respective games.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
How did he look bad? I wouldn't say he looked amazing, but he did everything that was asked of him. He did not bog down the top line, and that lead to two goals (not counting the empty net goal).

I would agree that Leivo looked good as well, but how on earth you see Leivo playing solid and Ennis bad is silly. They both had positive debuts to the preseason.
A couple times where he went into the zone with the puck and immediately lost it, felt like he lost 90% of his puck battles and times where he was just coasting.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't care for either Ennis or Leivo, but I would still give Leivo a slight edge. Josh seems to be a lot more motivated than in previous years. Perhaps the presence of Ennis has finally lit a fire underneath him.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leivo looked far better than Ennis in their respective games.

Without question.

I think Babs' mindset in camp is to build as much chemistry as possible among his projected linemates and defence partners. Hence, Ennis is merely a placeholder until the Nylander situation is resolved. Meanwhile, Leivo is being given a legitimate shot to earn a permanent spot on Kadri's line.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Can we talk about how great Lilypad and Sandman we’re together? Could that be our future potential top pair? Sandin with the hockey IQ and Lily with the offensive skills
I had never seen Rasmus Sandin play until last night.

I thought Sandin looked terrific. He very much reminded me of the first time I saw Stuart Percy, who looked so smooth and confident until we saw a larger sample size against much tougher competition.

I'm still disappointed that Percy never turned into the very good NHL defenceman I first thought he would be. It took me a long time to give up that would ever happen.

I think things will likely turn out a whole lot better for Sandin than they did for Percy, but my hopes are tempered by that experience and I'm not yet ready to imagine Sandin as more than a really good looking junior/European-pro defenceman.

I need to see more to hope for more than that.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That pairing looked really good, but that was against AHL quality comp...i hope they get another look.
Babs said something about testing the guys fighting for spots with tough competition. I suspect Lil & sandman are taking easy matchups because they aren't serious contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->