Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Ok, It was a defensive gem. Babcock stifled the offence by only allowing them to take 57 shots on goal. Masterfully argued.
All I'm saying is that you can't make your point off a single game against Latvia. Look at the whole tournament and then tell me you think Babs couldn't have done better (at least offensively) with that team. If you think otherwise then you're probably the one who has an agenda.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
sorry I disagree big time .
We lost because we aren’t tough enough
Couldn’t contain there top line
We’re out coached
Didn’t play to our strengths
Had no Pp
Couldn’t stop them on Pk
Didn’t get enough out of our top players
We’re to young
Etc
Toughness had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We did not go to the second round because we are not good enough. Period. Stop blaming external factors.

Game 6, at home, Sunday afternoon prime time and they laid an egg. Everything they do, they did in that game.

Hopefully they’ve grown. The showed me a lot last night to fight and win a game when they were outplayed for the most part and were saved by Freddy and some very chintzy calls. But that’s part of the game. Again it’s November and the goal is to get points.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
All I'm saying is that you can't make your point off a single game against Latvia. Look at the whole tournament and then tell me you think Babs couldn't have done better (at least offensively) with that team. If you think otherwise then you're probably the one who has an agenda.

I can when that was the example I was responding too. :cool:
Mike Babcock turned the Canadian Olympic team into a 2-1 lockdown team.

Dont you remember the thrilling defensive gems against Latvia or wherever? 2-1

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Incoming broken record

Babcock
Good human
Good family man
Good coach ( not great )
Smart coach
Good coach for 4 years with us teaching
Not the right coach for this team and the way the NHL is trending

How is NHL trending? Big teams have won last two cups.

There is more than one way to win, but team full of ultimate softies don't even have a chance.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I remember 5 Latvians collapsing in front of there own net while Canada peppered 57 shots on goal (and countless others at goal)

But sure, Babcock put the offensive leash on them. :rolleyes:

No agenda here. :facepalm:

That team in generally regarded as one of the greatest teams in history.

I have them top 5 for sure.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Game 6, at home, Sunday afternoon prime time and they laid an egg. Everything they do, they did in that game.

Hopefully they’ve grown. The showed me a lot last night to fight and win a game when they were outplayed for the most part and were saved by Freddy and some very chintzy calls. But that’s part of the game. Again it’s November and the goal is to get points.
The lack of energy and attention to detail in that game 6 at home to close out the series was unacceptable.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

The Leafs weren't outplayed for the most part, the shots were 36 to 35. The 1st period the Leafs outplayed Vegas, the 2nd period Vegas outplayed the Leafs and the 3rd was even. Overall it was an evenly played game. Andersen played well and so did Subban.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We did not go to the second round because we are not good enough. Period. Stop blaming external factors.
External factors impact results just as much if not more than internal factors. It's stupid to ignore them just because you want to believe your team is worse than they are.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not happy with the number of times Vegas pinned us in our end and we could not get the puck out but overall I am hoping that we are taking steps (be them small) in the right direction. In 5 months we might be able to kill a penalty versus the Bruins.

Reactions: Trapper

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If management is dead-set on their commitment to making Babcock work as coach, then we need to swap Barrie and Ceci for shutdown stay at home defensemen, trade Kerfoot+Johnsson+Kapanen+Nylander for as many Boone Jenner/Zach Hyman types as possible.

Babcock appears to be very vocal lately about believing that the grinding, low-event, low-risk style of play is the ultimate key to success in the playoffs. Those players above do not fit the mold of that ideology. If you're really entrenching yourself in that ideology, you can't have the players we have and definitely not as many of them as we have.

Babcock clearly hates the whole idea of controlled zone entries with forwards and defensemen joining the rush with them. He completely hates the risk of turnovers that's associated with that style of transition. He much prefers the lower risk dump-and-chase with the players grinding it out to achieve more puck possession.

I it's all clear as day at this point. So management needs to commit to one side or the other, I really don't get what's with keeping this clear divide right now. If Babcock is going to stay as coach no matter what, then the roster needs significant modification if we want any chance at winning. He doesn't give a shit about modifying his methods to accommodate what we have, he just continually forces his style down their throat regardless of how effective it is.

He was happy as a pig in shit after that LA win, which was the ultimate boring, low-event hockey game with lots of grinding. It's what he wants. He even said it in the media.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If management is dead-set on their commitment to making Babcock work as coach, then we need to swap Barrie and Ceci for shutdown stay at home defensemen, trade Kerfoot+Johnsson+Kapanen+Nylander for as many Boone Jenner/Zach Hyman types as possible.

Babcock appears to be very vocal lately about believing that the grinding, low-event, low-risk style of play is the ultimate key to success in the playoffs. Those players above do not fit the mold of that ideology. If you're really entrenching yourself in that ideology, you can't have the players we have and definitely not as many of them as we have.

Babcock clearly hates the whole idea of controlled zone entries with forwards and defensemen joining the rush with them. He completely hates the risk of turnovers that's associated with that style of transition. He much prefers the lower risk dump-and-chase with the players grinding it out to achieve more puck possession.

I it's all clear as day at this point. So management needs to commit to one side or the other, I really don't get what's with keeping this clear divide right now. If Babcock is going to stay as coach no matter what, then the roster needs significant modification if we want any chance at winning. He doesn't give a **** about modifying his methods to accommodate what we have, he just continually forces his style down their throat regardless of how effective it is.

He was happy as a pig in **** after that LA win, which was the ultimate boring, low-event hockey game with lots of grinding. It's what he wants. He even said it in the media.

Like it or no, thats ultimately how you win in the playoffs. I agree there is a huge difference in philosophy between Dubas and Babcock, so Im not sure what is really going on here. I mean, either acquire some Anderson/Jenner types or get a new coach. I really think he is trying to hammer home to these young guys that you have to play just as hard without the puck as with it, and a high risk attack with forwards that don't want to backcheck is a recipe for disaster. I mean we saw it last year at the beginning of the year, it was fun winning 7-5, but its not sustainable.

Reactions: ToneDog

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Like it or no, thats ultimately how you win in the playoffs. I agree there is a huge difference in philosophy between Dubas and Babcock, so Im not sure what is really going on here. I mean, either acquire some Anderson/Jenner types or get a new coach. I really think he is trying to hammer home to these young guys that you have to play just as hard without the puck as with it, and a high risk attack with forwards that don't want to backcheck is a recipe for disaster. I mean we saw it last year at the beginning of the year, it was fun winning 7-5, but its not sustainable.

Pittsburgh and their back-to-back cups did not follow that method. But they also had controlled zone entry wizards on every line in Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. Those guys blast through the neutral zone with speed as good as anyone in the league. Our stars ain't quite on their level in that regard, but they will be soon. Their support group was also very similar to ours, a ton of smallish but extremely fast wingers who could win a race to a loose puck most of the time.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Pittsburgh and their back-to-back cups did not follow that method. But they also had controlled zone entry wizards on every line in Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. Those guys blast through the neutral zone with speed as good as anyone in the league. Our stars ain't quite on their level in that regard, but they will be soon. Their support group was also very similar to ours, a ton of smallish but extremely fast wingers who could win a race to a loose puck most of the time.

Crosby and Malkin also go other worldy in the playoffs, none of our guys have shown that capability yet. Kessel has always been a clutch playoff guy as well. Their support group is similar, guys like Bonino, Rust, Wilson, Kunitz were relentless. I dont think the worry lies in the support, but the top guys need to evolve into complete players which the Penguins had.

Reactions: mclaren55 and IPS

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016

I it's all clear as day at this point. So management needs to commit to one side or the other, I really don't get what's with keeping this clear divide right now. If Babcock is going to stay as coach no matter what, then the roster needs significant modification if we want any chance at winning. He doesn't give a **** about modifying his methods to accommodate what we have, he just continually forces his style down their throat regardless of how effective it is.

He was happy as a pig in **** after that LA win, which was the ultimate boring, low-event hockey game with lots of grinding. It's what he wants. He even said it in the media.
I agree. The division is what’s killing this team. Either fully commit or just fire him already. This team needs two way players with heart, and both the coach and GM should be on that same page.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to win with a different style, I'm not sure what the fetish is with wanting to make exact replicas of prior winners. All those teams weren't winners until they were. I do agree that management and coaching should be on the same page though, it doesn't make sense to be pulling in different directions.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
To be honest, it was not a terrific game in any regard. Saying that, I did see more "drive" and commitment to finishing checks during the period and a half I was awake for.

Trending in the right direction, hopefully.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not happy with the number of times Vegas pinned us in our end and we could not get the puck out but overall I am hoping that we are taking steps (be them small) in the right direction. In 5 months we might be able to kill a penalty versus the Bruins.
I want us to play like Vegas. And it can be done. That’s how I thought we were going to play when we were building 4 lines to roll.
Vegas didn’t fight us or hit us into oblivion.
They owned our zone and were good in all 3. They didn’t sacrifice skill to be heavy. They had speed as well.

Reactions: ToneDog

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Why was the game at 3pm though, compare the amount of games the Bruins played at that time slot compared to the Leafs.
I don’t see NFL players using this excuse in the playoffs. They are expected to play any given start time for playoffs 1-8 pm, baseball same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad