Proposal: Leafs - Wild

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So we for whatever reason think it's smart to trade Brodin for Zaitsev...Okay, Brodin is gone and Z is exempt so now we're protecting Suter, Spurgeon, and Dumba. Scandella is gone, for nothing.

otherwise we expose Dumba, Scandella (Dumba taken)
Top 4 of Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Scandella is far, far better than Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Zaitsev.

solves nothing. team is worse.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It can't be that far off and it solves your X draft problem.

Zaitsev is exempt, right? We would likely lose another dman anyways, probably Scandella. Then we are loaded on the right side and weak on the left.

If Brodin is going to Toronto then Nylander is coming back. There's no interest in a quantity for Brodin trade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No team in the NHL needs JVR less than the Wild. Awful fit. We have Granlund, Parise, Zucker and Nino at LW with Greenway and Kaprizov coming soon.

Exactly. It'd be like offering us RWers. When you have a dozen of them you are gonna target one. Meanwhile, trade one of your best assets for one.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Zaitsev is exempt, right? We would likely lose another dman anyways, probably Scandella. Then we are loaded on the right side and weak on the left.

If Brodin is going to Toronto then Nylander is coming back. There's no interest in a quantity for Brodin trade.

Suter, Brodin, Olofsson on the left looks better than moving Brodin to the right and having Scandella still there.

Plus we likely need to trade Scandella if he's not taken at the draft anyway to clear cap space needed to re-sign both Granlund and Nino who are both due for big raises.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Suter, Brodin, Olofsson on the left looks better than moving Brodin to the right and having Scandella still there.

Plus we likely need to trade Scandella if he's not taken at the draft anyway to clear cap space needed to re-sign both Granlund and Nino who are both due for big raises.

I'd say Scandella is gone at the draft if he isn't picked by LV in the expansion draft. Draft picks and prospects most likely. Maybe a a 3rd pairing dman. The trouble with expansion is if Dumba is taken that's a relatively minor amount of cap space saved. I'm not a fan of losing Brodin or Dumba.

Probably should offer vegas a package of Haula+pick for their choice to be Scandella.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I'd say Scandella is gone at the draft if he isn't picked by LV in the expansion draft. Draft picks and prospects most likely. Maybe a a 3rd pairing dman. The trouble with expansion is if Dumba is taken that's a relatively minor amount of cap space saved. I'm not a fan of losing Brodin or Dumba.

Probably should offer vegas a package of Haula+pick for their choice to be Scandella.

This is where I am leaning, too

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Agreed on all points.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh look JVR + parts for Brodin. Completely fresh trade idea here.

We need a right shot RW on expansion protected ELC coming to Wild in this deal. Leafs have none.

Leafs have Kapanen. 20 year old RW, expansion protected.
33 points in 33 AHL games. Injured at the moment.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Leafs have Kapanen. 20 year old RW, expansion protected.
33 points in 33 AHL games. Injured at the moment.

Fairly or unfairly, it's hard for me to read "Kapanen" without thinking "Pulkkinen." Different players and different skill sets, I know, but until he shows something in the NHL I'll remain healthily skeptical. Not someone I'd consider moving a defenseman for.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Leafs have Kunin, Kaprizov, Greenway, Tuch and Ek that will likely be on the Wild within the next couple of years. We don't need to be adding forwards at the expense of Brodin. Nylander would be a luxury, not a necessity. Brodin is a necessity, even if Scandella gets his act back together and Olofsson continues to play like a vet rather than the rookie he is. Brodin's ability to play both sides well makes him too versatile to lose.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

I'm on board with this too. We don't have space to resign haula anyway

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs have Kunin, Kaprizov, Greenway, Tuch and Ek that will likely be on the Wild within the next couple of years. We don't need to be adding forwards at the expense of Brodin. Nylander would be a luxury, not a necessity. Brodin is a necessity, even if Scandella gets his act back together and Olofsson continues to play like a vet rather than the rookie he is. Brodin's ability to play both sides well makes him too versatile to lose.

Which defenseman are you exposing in the expansion draft though?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
:thumbu:
This will depend 100% on who you are asking.

Most say Suter , Spurgeon, Brodin, but a minority want to keep Dumba instead of Brodin because of his point scoring, potential in general, and the fact that he is a RHD.

I'm pretty sure that Scott Stevens and BB value Brodin more at this point,but that can change if Dumba gets hot at the end of the year and in the playoffs. He will likely never be a shut down Dman, but can change games with his ability to score.
Brodin is the very definition of a shutdown Dman, but one who can move his feet exceptionally well.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what they most appreciate about Brodin is his ability to play either side. or that's to say what they would value over anyone else of like potential. that means they can be a lot more flexible in their plans for the future or players they might want to look at in trade, draft, etc.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

The bolded is fair, but to think Brodin fetches Nylander is exaggerating the worth of Brodin.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
i would offer detriots first prolly top 3 plus glendenning and any 1 vet the wild want for brodin. prolly would have to happen after season. since wild are going for gold and a 4th line center and any vet on detriot isnt gonna fill the whole made by losing brodin

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
The bolded is fair, but to think Brodin fetches Nylander is exaggerating the worth of Brodin.

It's not that we think brodin for nylander is fair, it's just the only thing that would make trading brodin worth it. We know it's a no from Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->