Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Vegas - Thursday at 10:00pm February 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We have four top four d-men, and two of them are on the bottom pairing. Makes sense. Well, the alternative is that we have one of our two top pairing guys on our third pairing.

I'm just glad it broke up the Gardiner and Zaitsev pairing. Gardiner and Dermott could be a lot of fun in the offensive zone.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

and this is why I loathe Babcock.

What a sane coach would do:

Rielly Muzzin
Gards Dermott
Hainsey Zaitsev

I can see what he is doing here. Put Muzzin-Zaitsev pairing in 50 < neutral zones starts, Rielly-Hainsey in 50/50 netural zone starts, and Gardiner-Dermott in 50 > neutral starts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I've Never started one of these but figured I'd give it a try.

D pairings today look like Babcock may be willing to experiment, which is a good sign.

Vegas has been slumping a bit lately.

Hopefully the boys in blue can get a W.

I was going to attempt a Valentine's day joke but they were all terrible Dad jokes (cheesy)... so if anyone has any good ones feel free.

Go Leafs Go

#FireBabcock

Reactions: PuckMagi

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm just glad it broke up the Gardiner and Zaitsev pairing. Gardiner and Dermott could be a lot of fun in the offensive zone.

I think this is part of the idea in breaking up the top pairing.

At the same time now is when Babs should tinker with the D pairings, pre-deadline, so that the Leafs can get a better handle on if they should be a player for another d-man.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Rielly Muzzin
Gards Dermott
Hainsey Zaitsev

I'm not sure why Muzzin isn't there. That's why they got him.

Now if Muzzin can't play on the right side and they feel at such a disadvantage having him there, then the pro scouts screwed up.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Babcock just love Gud Pro's.

Only way we stop having to see Babcock force Hainsey down our throats is by forcing his hand.

Dubas needs to grab a RD and trade Hainsey away

Reactions: stickty111

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Key to game is if we run into a the HOT Fleury or the Holy one. We should win this no problem.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Rielly Muzzin
Gards Dermott
Hainsey Zaitsev

Have to disagree.

The team, every team needs a reliable pair of defencemen to play defense first.

On the Leafs, that pair is Zaitsev - Gardiner, for some games. Then it is Hainsey - Reilly for other games. It really depends on what match ups the coaching staff likes.

Putting Zaitsev - Muzzin together means this is the kick your ass shut down pair.

Then split the two offensive defensemen Reilly and Gardiner on different pairs to go ... ... go ... ... go on offense.

The Leafs best four defensemen are not Dermott and Hainsey.

That is why Hainsey - Dermott were a pair to start the game in Denver last night. They were so bad, that they have to play musical chairs again.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If Muzzin is willing to try the right side, I don't see why we don't put him there, give it ten or so games, and see where that leads us. If it works then that would solve things quite neatly. Move Zaitsev to a dumb team for any kind of asset and go with:

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Dermott
Rosén - Hainsey

Our four best d-men used like it, and a third pairing that has a nice mix of qualities.

Reactions: ER89

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Honestly, based on our personnel - or lack of - the new D pairs look like the best combination.

In an ideal world:
Rielly - *new guy*
Muzzin - *new guy*
Dermott - Hainsey

Gardiner & Zaitsev need to disappear

Reactions: illusory

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Muzzin has been a good addition to the Leafs, but he still doesn't fill the glaring need of a better partner for Reilly.

Leave the "Help Wanted" sign out for a while longer yet.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
While everybody else is watching which side of the ice our dmen skate on I'll be looking for another big game from Nylander, a bounceback performance from Marner, and a hatty from Matthews.

#MakeTheBigThreeGreatAgain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->