Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs [s]Refs[/s] Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax

Not sure how the refs can top what they've done so far, but nothing will surprise me at this point.

Hoping for an actual hockey game on Saturday. A win would give some us some comfort early on, and put Edmonton in a dire spot just 10 games in.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I love the ability of the Referee to feed power play one timers to Draisaitl late in a game. It’s a dynamic duo we need to keep an eye out for all game.

All kidding aside, I find Drai to be such an annoyingly efficient player. Shift to shift he can be very unimpressive, ghost and then make simple plays that end up in the back of the net. He’s sort of a cross between a Stamkos and a JVR in their ability to suddenly show up and score.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is men against boys my friends ... Oilers are not even remotely close except for 2 players ... unless Edmonton plays Oil Trapper hockey or refs step in and they will, it is very likely a blowout ... refs should call 4 or 5 penalties so Oilers will score maybe 3/4 ... assumes Freddy starts ... if un Clutch goes in then likely Oilers win

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
So what do we do when Thorton comes back and we're still winning?

With the depth of this team it's so good watching and seeing players slide in and out and still have everything running fine, it shows how good the system really is.

I think Thorton will still slide with Matthews and Marner but Keefe might be more willing to slide Hyman into that roll more often.. hymans been underrated again and has been very good. I also would like to see Thorton split time between Matthews and the 3rd line.. Soups been really good and hustles hard.

Reactions: TopCheese

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Leafs need a huge win, where they blow a team out.

They have played a bunch of good games and haven't been rewarded with a massively 1 sided win yet.

If they play how they can for an entire game vs Oilers they should be able to completly blow them out.

Reactions: Burnie97

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
So what do we do when Thorton comes back and we're still winning?

With the depth of this team it's so good watching and seeing players slide in and out and still have everything running fine, it shows how good the system really is.

I think Thorton will still slide with Matthews and Marner but Keefe might be more willing to slide Hyman into that roll more often.. hymans been underrated again and has been very good. I also would like to see Thorton split time between Matthews and the 3rd line.. Soups been really good and hustles hard.

Just a matter of time before Soup starts scoring, needs to get the monkey off his back then he will be putting up decent numbers.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
If they haven't already started, I hope they are keeping a book on certain refs and what their tendencies are. A portion of every pre-game team meeting should be dedicated to referee competency and what they like to miscall and let go.

Reactions: supermann_98

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Oilers D game is suspect, I expect us to feast in the offensive zone. Hopefully we can keep the two big guys in check, Muzzin and Holl better put up a huge game

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Reactions: Eric bungay

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I love the ability of the Referee to feed power play one timers to Draisaitl late in a game. It’s a dynamic duo we need to keep an eye out for all game.

All kidding aside, I find Drai to be such an annoyingly efficient player. Shift to shift he can be very unimpressive, ghost and then make simple plays that end up in the back of the net. He’s sort of a cross between a Stamkos and a JVR in their ability to suddenly show up and score.
Half of his points are on the powerplay right now. He has 1 even strength goal. He does have a shorty too. He’s 1 goal even strength in 9 games. Nothing outstanding for me there.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Burkie with a dirtyyy line:

Came as a crusher, tried to be a rusher, left as an usher.

Oooooof.
Haha yeah when he was talking about Ahl day there yesh. Stewart says you have to know yourself and learn at the nhl level what your game is because nobody is going to tell you anymore. Sink or swim at that level.

Reactions: MattySnipes

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Looks like Lehtonen in for Dermott
Engvall in for Boyd.
I'm fine with it. Lehtonen but especially Barabanov are running out of time to impress.

Reactions: AvroArrow

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Engvall in for Boyd.
I'm fine with it. Lehtonen but especially Barabanov are running out of time to impress.

Not to jinx things but I doubt the 6 D are going to be healthy the entire time. Plus, I suspect they may rest some of the heavy minute eaters at some point. So Lehtonen will get his share of games.

Barabanov is in a trickier situation because they have multiple options upfront once Thornton and Robertson return. Both Engvall and Boyd have also looked good in the few games they have played.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Engvall in for Boyd.

I disagree on Lehtonen, he's looked more comfortable in pretty much every game he's played, and it's not like Dermott is irreplaceable back there. No chance Dubas/Keefe have thought time is running out for these guys, not with the teams record and the way they've played so far as a team.

I like the way Keefe is strategically moving guys in and out of the lineup to create internal competition and keep these 4th liners fighting for their jobs. A fourth liner who isn't hustling his ass off should know his ass is probably gonna be in the press box next game if he has a nothing game and doesn't do anything to help the team

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Engvall in for Boyd.

I don't think they're running out of time, but it would be good to give them meaningful looks so we don't let them both walk only to realize we had something good with either of them.

Reactions: supermann_98

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
There is going to be zero penalties called this game. Gonna be free for all due to attention of last games awful penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad