GDT: Leafs vs Red Wings Preseason- Friday Sep 27th- 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m old enough to remember when you dared suggest Sandin might have leap frogged Lil you’d get raked over the coals around here. Glad some have “evolved” their thinking ;)

You could tell last camp this kid was special, his hockey IQ was exceptional. Exciting times.

Dubas deserves a big thumbs up for this pick!

Different styles. If I want safe minutes, leaning Lilj is the guy. More size, better skater.

Reactions: Duffman955

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Sandin isn’t just playing better thanI expected, he’s playing better than I could even hope for. I did not think he had a chance to make the team based on the guys they brought in. Now it will seem crazy if they send him down.

Maybe last night was a chance to see how he will look playing 30 mins a game against AHL competition, but I don’t see the real value in having him out there getting run in the A when he’s clearly ready for the NHL.

The best part is hat he is not doing this by running around, getting by on enthusiasm and energy. He is just that calm.

Skating is good, passes are crisp, decisions are solid, shot is deceptive, he separates guys from the puck...

I agree with Nith, he may quickly find himself in the top 4

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Think this camp has turned out be really good for the Leafs. I bet if you asked management, they would be pretty disappointed in all these D men we brought in to fight for the 6-7 spot, I know I’ve been completely underwhelmed. That said, the emergence of Sandin has been the real story of camp.

Also reassuring, Ceci at least looks ready to make a contribution back there. The two Russians have been impressive, particularly nice to see Mikheyev as advertised, we need him...we’ve had guys come from Europe before and disappointed. Seeing a guy like Timo knocking at the door has also been a pleasant surprise. The fact the Goat looks passable, another positive.

All in all, this camp has been a success for the Leafs, we’ve filled the gaps nicely it seems.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
I was hoping lilijren would take that next step this preseason but it just wasn’t there. Overall he was just ok.
Another year in the A to develop will hopefully get him to put it all together.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Loved Timashov tonight.
Agostino was great.
Petan was very good.

I have no idea who you send down of those. And it's too bad that someone will take a spot from them on name recognition.

Dubas has done a great job at picking up the spare parts we need for dirt cheap. I know he didn't draft Timashov, but Agostino, Petan, Read and others all looked sold and on cheap contracts and for free or minor pieces in return in the case of Petan.
Of course Sandin...........just wow.
I feel bad for Lily, hope another year in the AHL smooths out the rough edges. An injury free year please.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There isn’t even a debate at the moment, try to catch up.

Debate what? Lilj had better numbers defensively over camp. He is the better skater and larger player. There really isn't a debate there. Sandin is the better player overall with higher ceiling, sure. Not sure that's what Babs is looking for with Dermott coming back etc.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
There's a clear tier that have separated themselves and are head and Shoulders above others on this AHL roster

Timishov
Agistino
Sandin
Petan
Korshkov(both rosters)

I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion about these in the next few days.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Sandin could get as good as Morgan. There, I said it. Just a very efficient defender with some slick poise.
Now imagine if he turns into a #1 defenseman with the type of impact that Kaberle had, eventually playing with Rielly. I love surprises!

Reactions: biotk

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That looked very much like an AHL level game with only a few players that have any real NHL upside and more injury fillers and depth players for the most part.

Sandin clearly better than anyone dressed in blue and white with the greatest upside.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Man the last few games have been fantastic.

I've been begging the Leafs to play like this for the last few years, not because it's fun to watch(which it is) but because it plays to the teams strength.

People just assume that if you're a high octane offensive team you lack defensively, but if you have the puck most of the game, you'll be dominant. Not only are you giving up less chances due to possession, the chances you are getting are more dangerous because you have the best offence in the league.

If they continue to play like this you'll see how much anchor players like Hainsey, Zaitsev, Marleau, Brown(although I think he bounces back), Komarov, Martin etc all can impact a team negatively when they're built the way the Leafs are.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Tough to say who makes the team because it depends a lot on how Babcock wants his 4th line to be set up. If we're purely talking players with upside to produce offensively/have some offensive creativity to their game...it would be Timashov, Petan.

Korshkov is a wildcard and it's too difficult to slot him anywhere in particular but has the highest ceiling of everyone and fills some major holes on our team if he can check the right boxes.

Agostino, Read and Shore would fit the mold of the traditional low-event, grinders but are all for the most part, offensive blackholes. I think if any of these three make the team, people on here will need to readjust their expectations for our 4th line.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't understand the love for Agostino. I am very disappointed by his showing. I think Timo and Petan are both better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->