Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Preds (not happening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The Raptors were put into self quarantine last night. Any tests done on the Leafs likely would have been done before that.

The NHL would be foolish to continue on with games at this point.

I’m sure they were retested last night. It will play into the decision. Would they be? If there is no cases and they feel they can manage, I see no problem with that. I’m not against not playing, just won’t be surprised if they did play.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Starting to think it is only a matter of hours before they suspend the season. Hate to be the teams that loaded up at the TDL if the season is cancelled all together. Dubas was wise to stand pat but would have been nice to have dumped Barrie ;)

And what is going to happen to the salaray cap that was projected to be $84-$88M ??

Corona postponing the season does not make Dubas wise. It’s hindsight thinking. It was still a mistake not to make a move at the deadline. Not saying Barrie should have been moved. But some secondary scoring depth would have been nice

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Any news on whether nhl season is going to continue?

last night nhl was supposed to make a statement I saw there is nothing on nhl.com

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gary will follow suit with NBA. He won't take any risks. Lots of weaker team owners can't survive with NO gate. Do those owners want to come out of pocket to watch hockey? D*mn expensive games for your pleasure. Our Leafs and Habs makes little difference because they are rich teams. But a couple games without revenues in Florida and an owner who wants da team to stand on its own without his backing and they don't make payroll. Is Trump going to make payroll for them?

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I don't know if they'll suspend the season yet but I fully expect empty arenas from tonight onwards.

Edit: just saw the tweets above.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As bad as it sounds, the NHL will lose more money that way. No gate revenue (in a gate driven league) but still some of the expenses
Yes it is not time for a war between have and have nots owners in the NHL. We need to fight da virus. Gary will follow suit and shut down NHL too.

Reactions: ToneDog

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
No right answer here... But like, would waiting a month really do anything? We are likely in more danger a month from now than we are now. I'd suggest they just cancel the season with playoffs and work on a compensation plan for teams who spent on UFAs.

i guess they're taking a wait and see approach. Cancel the season and see how everthing looks in a month. if the virus starts dying out with the warm weather coming in, maby they have Playoffs, but probably wont

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m confident they will Play tonight. I think they’ve tested all teams by now. If someone in NHL has corona we would know by now. I’m sure in infected states, they will play in empty arenas.

Sure they are clean today but what happens after they go to the pub after the game ? You gonna test the league daily ? You are chasing a moving target and it is only a matter of time before it hits the community if it has not already.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
As bad as it sounds, the NHL will lose more money that way. No gate revenue (in a gate driven league) but still some of the expenses
The NHL is different from the other leagues because of like you say being a gate driven league but if you will lose the money anyways and can get away with empty arena games might as well go for it. With everyone staying at home the ratings will skyrocket and that helps for advertising on the broadcasts

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The fact that they didn’t outright postpone with their first announcement indicates they are going over every possible scenario to continue playing. I’m just not sure it’s gonna be possible given every other league postponing. I’m surprised that first announcement didn’t outright say a postponement of all games

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The fact that they didn’t outright postpone with their first announcement indicates they are going over every possible scenario to continue playing. I’m just not sure it’s gonna be possible given every other league postponing. I’m surprised that first announcement didn’t outright say a postponement of all games
I imagine they need the Owners in agreement, probably voting on it as we type.
Just the optics of playing would be terrible for the league.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I'll be shocked if they play tonight. They are predicting that the height of the Covid-19 infection in the US will happen mid April or early May. Then you'd have a 2-3 week isolation period before starting back up. I'd guess they could start the playoffs by June. No way they can finish the regular season.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
If the league cancels the game, do you think the fans should be entitled to get a refund on the tickets?

I have tickets to tonights game... :(

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'd be shocked if they do play.

me too at this point: but like I said, if they were 100% agreed on cancelling, they would have said games cancelled tonight as well. Not just practice, so it seems to me they are exploring their options and what the season would look like if they do decide to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad