Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Oilers

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Sheldon Keefe: "When you look at the nature of the team and the players that we have, we are trying to put them in positions to succeed offensively but there are some hurdles defensively that we have to get over" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

When you took over the team, one of the things you talked about was restoring their spirit a little bit. They were a little bit beaten down. It seems like some of that has come back at times. Is there still a balance there and times where you go backward? In a season where you need points fast, is that all a tricky thing to balance?

Keefe
: It is a very tricky thing. It is part of the hurdle when you come in mid-stream like this and you are swimming upstream a little bit in some areas. You’ve got to manage that. The spirits have remained high. Even when we have had nights like last night where it comes crashing down quickly, we seem to be able to regroup quickly. That is why it was nice to get on the ice today and touch the puck a little bit and get loose. We had a meeting where we had to address certain things, but we wanted to make sure, by the time practice ended, that we had flushed it and were ready to start with a new day.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If Andersen is starting does leaving early indicate:

1. Too Good to Improve at Practice
  2. Peeved off about Not Playing
  3. Packing up because ...
A terrible backup goalie should know his place in the pecking order, especially since Keefe vouched for him as the #2, sending down Kaskisuo without even giving him a game.

The coach could literally drop a deuce in Hutch's goalie equipment if he felt like it and Hutch should still detail his car if asked

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
A terrible backup goalie should know his place in the pecking order, especially since Keefe vouched for him as the #2, sending down Kaskisuo without even giving him a game.

The coach could literally drop a deuce in Hutch's goalie equipment if he felt like it and Hutch should still detail his car if asked

I wonder if that will be included in the code of conduct :sarcasm:

Reactions: supermann_98

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I wonder if that will be included in the code of conduct :sarcasm:

Lol ya know guys..Mike was old school and while we all know Hutch stinks, sometimes a new coach and new fresh air help.

I dont think for a second he demoted Kask because Hutch is better. Kask needs some time. We threw him to the wolves vs the Pens. Let him play develop.

It's clear that Hutch isn't trusted. I feel like they are working on him in practice, he may get 1 more chance.

Alas hockey is a funny thing. You need 2 teams to make a trade right? I think it's clear if we get a backup itll be a higher cap hit type. Not a band aid lower class one. Meaning? We have to give up a roster player that makes $. I also think we may be going for 2 birds 1 stone. A D man with term and a back up. We have only Rielly signed after this year.

I guess we wait.

Food for thought though. Shanny and Dubas at the STJ game, we have been linked to STJ for a year now..wonder what's a brewing

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Not a good night to start the backup when your opponent has the top 2 points leaders in their lineup. Glad Anderson is in. Rest him against a team that wins with defense.

Reactions: supermann_98

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lol ya know guys..Mike was old school and while we all know Hutch stinks, sometimes a new coach and new fresh air help.

I dont think for a second he demoted Kask because Hutch is better. Kask needs some time. We threw him to the wolves vs the Pens. Let him play develop.

It's clear that Hutch isn't trusted. I feel like they are working on him in practice, he may get 1 more chance.

Alas hockey is a funny thing. You need 2 teams to make a trade right? I think it's clear if we get a backup itll be a higher cap hit type. Not a band aid lower class one. Meaning? We have to give up a roster player that makes $. I also think we may be going for 2 birds 1 stone. A D man with term and a back up. We have only Rielly signed after this year.

I guess we wait.

Food for thought though. Shanny and Dubas at the STJ game, we have been linked to STJ for a year now..wonder what's a brewing
When?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
no guarantee with this team. especially after coming out and ******** the bed in the 3rd last night.

safe bet is probably the Over.
Our second line is Ryan Nugent Hopkins with Granlund and Chiasson. Your 4th line is probably just as good.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
If Andersen is starting does leaving early indicate:

1. Too Good to Improve at Practice
  2. Peeved off about Not Playing
  3. Packing up because ...
Hutch is just not providing the needed skill in practice. The boys are learning to score on an AHL goalie and on game night the shots just don’t go in, because an NHL level goalie saves them ... :sarcasm:

Reactions: ULF_55

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Oilers 7 - Leafs 1

Mathews scores for the leafs off the top of his ASs

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Mathews - Kapanen
Engvall
- Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Moore - Gauthier
- Spezza

We'll at least it looks like we have a somewhat gritty forward squad. The addition of Engvall really does change the dynamic of the group a bit when it comes to toughness

Reactions: SAMCRO44

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Huge game after that terrible collapse in Calgary.

Win and it will be a very successful road trip going 3-1.

These remaining games in DEC are vital in us making the playoffs as this is one of the softer stretchs we will see.

1 vs EDM
2 vs NYR
1 vs DET
1 vs NJD
1 vs Buf
1 vs MIN
1 vs Car

We need to grab alot of points from these games.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
6-2 or 5-1-2 would be good

Huge game after that terrible collapse in Calgary.

Win and it will be a very successful road trip going 3-1.

These remaining games in DEC are vital in us making the playoffs as this is one of the softer stretchs we will see.

1 vs EDM
2 vs NYR
1 vs DET
1 vs NJD
1 vs Buf
1 vs MIN
1 vs Car

We need to grab alot of points from these games.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Mathews - Kapanen
Engvall
- Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Moore - Gauthier
- Spezza

We'll at least it looks like we have a somewhat gritty forward squad. The addition of Engvall really does change the dynamic of the group a bit when it comes to toughness

When can we just do:

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Engvall - Nylander - Mikheyev

with Muzz - Holl on the 1st D pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad