Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kadri is great because he can fit into the top 6, but he just wasn't very impressive in a 3rd line role
I agree. I think with the structure of the Leafs, the 3C needs to be strong defensively. The third line needs to be a momentum killer line. How often did the Leafs lose the game within a minute bc the opposing team scored two or more in a hurry?
JT, Marner and Hyman did that last year. And to some extend, the third line did that when Soup was playing.
I know some of us like it point to honeymoon period, injuries...but I think, at least the eye test, Soup played a huge role in containing or even shutting down the opposing team momentum when he was on the ice.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
They will shut everyone up when they make the playoffs and win a round.
I'm with you. I'm just amazed at how the expectations have dropped so far in here. At the beginning of the season wasn't the general consensus essentially "first round win or bust"?

Now some are just happy to squeak into the playoffs as an 8 seed? WTF?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This season has just been one big rolling ball of shit going downhill that keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Marner's contract
Matthews butt
Scratch Spezza in Leaf debut
Ugly November
Babs gets fired
Team has a month where things are good
Fred crashes back to October form
Rielly get injured for most of the season
Same record from jan onward as the record that got Babs fired
Lose to a Zamboni driver.
Thanks. Where's the nearest bridge? :puppy:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kadri has only played 72 minutes at 5v5 with MacKinnon and 60 minutes with Rantanen.

Kerfoot has played 170 min at 5v5 with Nylander+Tavares combined, as well as an additional 62 minutes with Nylander, and 77 minutes with John Tavares. He's also played around another 75 minutes with Mitch Marner.

So no it hasn't been the same.

It's funny seeing the narratives around this trade morph...the trade was centered around Barrie, but he's been disappointing and is going to walk for nothing in the summer, so now people are desperately clinging to "Kerfoot>Kadri" to justify the trade.
Honestly, it is like prospects, we like to judge who win right away....
Kadri is the best player in the trade even before the season started. However, the fact that Barrie had a great playoff, Avs retained 50% and Kerfoot being a capable 3C, along with Kadri getting suspended again, made the trade a solid trade at that time.

By next few weeks, if Kerfoot does well and solidify the 3rd line while Barrie plays to his potential, Rosen becomes Top 4 and Kadri struggles after his injury, the narrative will change again.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
This season has just been one big rolling ball of shit going downhill that keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Marner's contract
Matthews butt
Scratch Spezza in Leaf debut
Ugly November
Babs gets fired
Team has a month where things are good
Fred crashes back to October form
Rielly get injured for most of the season
Same record from jan onward as the record that got Babs fired
Lose to a Zamboni driver.

I think you should make this list a thread and each person is required to add three “predictions” to the bottom of the list.

it’ll be entertaining at the very least.

Reactions: Third Degree Burns

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Such an exciting game tonight, our management is excited to see how this group handles adversity. Apparently they just woke up from a 3 year coma, it would explain a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
I think you should make this list a thread and each person is required to add three “predictions” to the bottom of the list.

it’ll be entertaining at the very least.

my entries...
- Whole Foods frozen waffles thrown after tonight’s ugly loss in TB
- Mike Babcock claims to be Mike Litorus
- a Carolina rematch results in the first NHL game ever where a team chose to play six attackers for the whole 60 minutes. You know how it ends...

Reactions: rubous

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
dreger said couple days ago that the leafs plan to ramp up sandin and lily's minutes down the final stretch. i wonder if it starts tonight against the best team (IMO) in the league.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Honestly, it is like prospects, we like to judge who win right away....
Kadri is the best player in the trade even before the season started. However, the fact that Barrie had a great playoff, Avs retained 50% and Kerfoot being a capable 3C, along with Kadri getting suspended again, made the trade a solid trade at that time.

By next few weeks, if Kerfoot does well and solidify the 3rd line while Barrie plays to his potential, Rosen becomes Top 4 and Kadri struggles after his injury, the narrative will change again.

Well that is only good for us right now. I would love if Rosen became a top 4 defenseman right now :laugh:

Now if Hutchinson becomes anything, that's another story...

Reactions: Gabriel426

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree. I think with the structure of the Leafs, the 3C needs to be strong defensively. The third line needs to be a momentum killer line. How often did the Leafs lose the game within a minute bc the opposing team scored two or more in a hurry?
JT, Marner and Hyman did that last year. And to some extend, the third line did that when Soup was playing.
I know some of us like it point to honeymoon period, injuries...but I think, at least the eye test, Soup played a huge role in containing or even shutting down the opposing team momentum when he was on the ice.
I agree. I think Kerfoot can be that glue center, as he's a good skater and has good defensive instincts. Mikheyev/Engvall and Kapanen are good wingers for him to help with that

Reactions: Gabriel426

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Humiliation is a powerful motivator.

When I look at it, it was a no win situation for us. This is the problem of being a Leaf. Leafs are going to leaf.
Say we shell the guy for 10 goals - Leafs can only beat up on zamboni driver.
We don't shell the guy - Leafs can't beat zamboni driver.

Reactions: Smif

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
When I look at it, it was a no win situation for us. This is the problem of being a Leaf. Leafs are going to leaf.
The second I saw Ayres on the ice my first words were "uh oh". I didn't know why I felt uncomfortable at the time but I certainly do now.

Reactions: ECanuck

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

I think most of us would have been very happy with the former.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The second I saw Ayres on the ice my first words were "uh oh". I didn't know why I felt uncomfortable at the time but I certainly do now.
The good news is as the first team to lose to a Zamboni Driver there is no where to go but up. They really can't sink any lower.

Reactions: Smif and 1specter

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Such an exciting game tonight, our management is excited to see how this group handles adversity. Apparently they just woke up from a 3 year coma, it would explain a lot.
Well, the last time we were humiliated the next game we shut out the Pens 4-0. So maybe the same thing happens today?

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
last year Kadri had 29 points at 5v5 in 73 games, Kerfoot has 24 in 58. Plus he's stronger defensively and is younger and cheaper. I do miss Kadri because I like him a lot, but I don't think the team's hurt too much by replacing him with Kerfoot

so you're basically saying kerfoot is better than kadri...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad