GDT: Leafs vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A big series concludes, another one starts.

As expected, guys like Lilly coming with the team out west. I'm not sure if that is worth missing games with the Marlies, but he's pretty much the Leafs #7 d man right now. He should get some games, but either because Leafs are in the race for #1, or cap stuff they can't play him.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The Jets play Carlyle hockey but have the top end talent to make teams that take a shift off pay.

Score first and have our D men maintain solid gap control the rest of the game and we should be good.

They also don’t have the defensive depth to handle the new 2nd line if Galch is for real.

TOR

TOR

WPG

WPG

Finally I’d like the Leafs to just load up PP1 and keep it that way for a couple games. Nylander was a really good bet front guy last year and idk why we changed it.

Last edited:

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I'd really like to see the team make a statement against the Jets this week by taking both games. I'd say we're due for our shooters to shake this funk and for our goaltending to get healthy... here's hoping.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Leafs play the way they can and Winnipeg's only chance is either: 1) our goalie craps his pants; 2) Hellebuyck puts on a career performance; or 3) "game management"

Reactions: Mats13

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We're the better team no doubt. Games aren't played on paper though.
Seems we've been the victim of hot goalies lately.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yea they are but their defence corpse is atrocious; they'll get exposed again against a team like the Leafs. They add there before the deadline and they become a team to be reckoned with though.

Helly can mask their shortcommings on D and they probably upgrade their D by the TDL. They will be a handful if they can pick up Ekholm. The way I see it, if we can't resolve our goaltending issues, they probably win the division and will be favourites over the Leafs.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Helly can mask their shortcommings on D and they probably upgrade their D by the TDL. They will be a handful if they can pick up Ekholm. The way I see it, if we can't resolve our goaltending issues, they probably win the division and will be favourites over the Leafs.
They get Ekholm & we start Hutchinson in the playoffs then yes I think they absolutely become the favorites of the North no matter what we add upfront.

Reactions: ToneDog

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Jets are a top level team, they have size,skill and an elite goalie

Their top 6 is lethal, but as a team I think they're pretty bad. Defence is pretty atrocious, their forwards are good but outmatched by our top 6. Then the gap between the goalies is massive. It'll be the same story again, our forwards vs Helly, whoever plays better gets the W. Winnipeg relies on Helly bailing them out time after time, leading to an odd man rush the other way and then capitalize. They never really had sustained pressure, it's all off turnovers in their zone or a miraculous save which leaves our D scrambling on an odd man rush. Bury our chances and get bodies in front of Helly. I want Simmonds and Hyman crashing the net and making life difficult for Helly. He'll save 99 percent of the pucks he sees, no matter how good the shot is. Screen him, harass him and make his life difficult.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Their top 6 is lethal, but as a team I think they're pretty bad. Defence is pretty atrocious, their forwards are good but outmatched by our top 6. Then the gap between the goalies is massive. It'll be the same story again, our forwards vs Helly, whoever plays better gets the W. Winnipeg relies on Helly bailing them out time after time, leading to an odd man rush the other way and then capitalize. They never really had sustained pressure, it's all off turnovers in their zone or a miraculous save which leaves our D scrambling on an odd man rush. Bury our chances and get bodies in front of Helly. I want Simmonds and Hyman crashing the net and making life difficult for Helly. He'll save 99 percent of the pucks he sees, no matter how good the shot is. Screen him, harass him and make his life difficult.
Break him with our firepower.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Break him with our firepower.

I hope we can, but he's the best goalie in the league right now. Our forwards need to bring their A game. Creating chances against Helly isn't enough, you gotta bury them. Find ways to convert, crash the net get some greasy goals.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I hope we can, but he's the best goalie in the league right now. Our forwards need to bring their A game. Creating chances against Helly isn't enough, you gotta bury them. Find ways to convert, crash the net get some greasy goals.
Remember that this time around Matthews will shoot the puck, even if it's not quite 100% yet.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Finally I’d like the Leafs to just load up PP1 and keep it that way for a couple games. Nylander was a really good bet front guy last year and idk why we changed it.
We changed because we signed 2 vets (Simmonds and Thornton) who are terrible at 5 on 5 and need minutes somewhere.

Reactions: Mr Hockey

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
no team in the division scares me! only things that scare me right now are injuries and our goalie situation...

Bet the Jackets didn't scare you last year. ;) Seriously Winnipeg's only flaw is their D and if Treliving can add one or two dmen by the tradedeadline, they will a formidable foe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad