Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Hawks Wednesday 8pm SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You want to know how good Dermott has been? People are suddenly praising Carrick again. That good.
Carrick was really low on confidence to start the year and playin really limited minutes or sitting in the press box doesn't usually help to boost your confidence.
He is pretty mobile and can make a good first pass. Something we saw last year but was nonexistent this year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Carrick was really low on confidence to start the year and playin really limited minutes or sitting in the press box doesn't usually help to boost your confidence.
He is pretty mobile and can make a good first pass. Something we saw last year but was nonexistent this year.
He can make a good pass, he can skate, no question. However, he is such a liability in our end, it all adds up to a 7th D in my mind.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He can make a good pass, he can skate, no question. However, he is such a liability in our end, it all adds up to a 7th D in my mind.
Eh he is still only 23. Don't think he is as big a defensive liability as your making out. If you pair him with a big physical partner who can clear the front of the net, Carrick can be a really useful cheap 3rd pairing puck mover

Reactions: 1specter

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Eh he is still only 23. Don't think he is as big a defensive liability as your making out. If you pair him with a big physical partner who can clear the front of the net, Carrick can be a really useful cheap 3rd pairing puck mover
He can’t win battles down low, he can’t clear the front of the net, he can’t handle any forecheck, the nice first pass disappears. As far as I’m concerned when he’s in the lineup and our D is healthy, it means we aren’t good enough. Same with Polak.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hawks were shut out last night at home. Have to think they will come out flying for this one.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He can’t win battles down low, he can’t clear the front of the net, he can’t handle any forecheck, the nice first pass disappears. As far as I’m concerned when he’s in the lineup and our D is healthy, it means we aren’t good enough. Same with Polak.
I mean saying he can't do those things just isn't true as I've seen him do all of them successfully at some point. He may not be able to clear the net well or battle down low but he still does win puck battles behind the net (saw a few last night). If you pair him with a big physical defender who can deal with the majority of clearing the front of the net he will be fine.

Many teams have worse players on their 3rd pairing especially considering his age.

Edit: I do agree he has been bad this year but I put some of that onto low confidence as he was much better last year in more difficult minutes

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I mean saying he can't do those things just isn't true as I've seen him do all of them successfully at some point. He may not be able to clear the net well or battle down low but he still does win puck battles behind the net (saw a few last night). If you pair him with a big physical defender who can deal with the majority of clearing the front of the net he will be fine.

Many teams have worse players on their 3rd pairing especially considering his age.

Edit: I do agree he has been bad this year but I put some of that onto low confidence as he was much better last year in more difficult minutes
To each his own, I think he isn’t even on the team next year.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My 2 favourite teams and my favourite non Leaf NHLer Jonathan Toews is always the games on the schedule I look for most every year.

Love Leaf vs Hawk games.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
To each his own, I think he isn’t even on the team next year.

I haven't liked Carrick's game but playing with Polak and Gards isn't the best hand you can be dealt!

I luv Bab's comment, ' we don't always know what Gards is doing but...'

Dermott and Carrick look good together as a pair and should stay together for a bit.

Hainsey should stay with Gards to help stabilize him.

A more confident Reilly with Zaits would be a good pairing as well next week.

Maybe Borgy needs some seasoning in the A to get his confidence back and work on the skills and situations (pk?) the Leafs want from him .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did they practice this morning before heading to Chicago? Was Kapanen an extra?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Lets see if it happens tomorrow night, easy to do this today.
Well, if it sticks for the game tomorrow night, I suspect Lou and Co. might have spoken to Babcock about the situation. :popcorn:

It's easy to remain stubborn until your boss speaks to you about a problem. ;)

Yeah, and maybe I'm reading too much into it too! :loony:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

It's happening

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad