GDT: Leafs vs. Habs (7:30 ET on RDS, TSN 2 & 4) Lines on Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
True, but I was reffering to the Leafs game with the Habs tomorrow. And I think we may in fact be deeper when Nylander comes back than the Pens. They showed their age last year and the Caps exposed them.

Kind of like how the Pens exposed the Caps in the previous playoff series? Pens will be fine. They just need to stay healthy and get better goaltending. As far as the Leafs... Do you have them as a top 5 cup contender or a top 10? I have them as a fringe top 5 cup contender but not a definite one. They need to do more in the playoffs and that D man... They need to play very very well and above potential if the Leafs are beating any of those other cup contenders who also have offense but a much better defense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dn-eQLGU0AA10d6.jpg:large

Pretty much their NHL roster? Who is missing? Habs only chance is to stay out of the box and our bottom 2 lines outproduce their bottom 2.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Marleau has played a lot of play off games.
But come spring hockey the Loafs dont have players with winning experience . The great Ron Hainsey aside. That will hurt when they come against teams that do.

Babcock himself has won one round since Nick Lidstrom retired 8 years ago.

I really hope they go out early again.

Having the Habs stinking the league out will be made that much worse if the leafs are still playing into June.

"The horror"

If they don't win the division, they will likely face either the Lightning or Bruins in the 1st round. Then if they win that 1st round match-up, they likely have to face one of the Bruins or Lightning again. Tough 1st two rounds for any of these 3 teams. Winning the division is important. Every season is different but hard to imagine the Lightning, Bruins, Leafs not being the top 3 in the Atlantic.

Horror to me is the Leafs win the division and the Habs sneak in the playoffs as a wild card and have to face them. They end up going to the 2nd round our the Habs expense. That's horror

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That D core is garbage and is not better than what the Leafs are icing.. and while Matthews and Tavares aren't Malkin Crosby, Kadri is a significant upgrade on Bonino.
I did not say it was better than the leafs D. I said that Hainsey was not the number one D when they won the 017 Cup.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Kind of like how the Pens exposed the Caps in the previous playoff series? Pens will be fine. They just need to stay healthy and get better goaltending. As far as the Leafs... Do you have them as a top 5 cup contender or a top 10? I have them as a fringe top 5 cup contender but not a definite one. They need to do more in the playoffs and that D man... They need to play very very well and above potential if the Leafs are beating any of those other cup contenders who also have offense but a much better defense.

IMO, I think the issues with the Leaf's D is overstated. They could use a true stud #1, I won't argue that, but any team would. I think as a grouping as a whole, their defence isn't THAT bad. There had been cup winners with weaker defence corps in the very recent past.

What did kill the Leafs last year was goaltending in the playoffs. I think Anderson is a great goalie, but he didn't play well at all... like Rinne and Hellebuyck who immediately come to mind. I think leadership was lacking last year as well, and this is where JT is going to help them tremendously.

Too early for me to conclude if they are top-5 contenders yet, so I agree with you there... I have them as fringe top-5; I have Winnipeg, Tampa, Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh firmly ahead of them.

I got Montreal behind Toronto... like about 20 teams back. :sarcasm:

But hey! In 2-3 years, when the Leafs are in cap hell, we'll be running with Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehking, Olafsson up the middle.

Reactions: ArsHabs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Brian Dumoulin actually played the most on Pittsburgh's 2017 Stanley Cup squad, followed by Ron Hainsey, Olli Määttä, and then Justin Schultz.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
They are sending Kotka down anyways
why risk injury
whats the point

its almost like habs management is trying to outlast cutting 3rd overall after the rest of the 2018 draftees are cut....proving they made a good choice

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
why risk injury
whats the point

its almost like habs management is trying to outlast cutting 3rd overall after the rest of the 2018 draftees are cut....proving they made a good choice
Yeah it has nothing to do with the fact that he's played well enough to stick. It's all politics and PR maneuvering.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Yup. They aren't contenders IMO but...I've been wrong before.

:rolleyes:

no they are not even contenders.....they are only ranked first in odds to win the cup :rolleyes:

anybody who looks at the toronto roster and says they are not a contender knows nothing about hockey

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Shultz, Cole, Dumonin, Matta Daley(till he got hurt)

Hainsey was not "number one" by any stretch of the imagination

He had the second most ice time (by a thin margin) out of all the defense, so to "pretend" that he wasn't leaned on heavily and logged heavy ice time is a joke or denial.

2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

11Ron Hainsey35D25268562000600296.952821:07
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's ignoring the fact that Riley puts up 1d numbers. He may not be a top 10 1d, but he's certainly a 1D.

We had 2 50 point defense men last year. And we also leaned on Hainsey who just had won a stanley cup being leaned on heavily.

Anyways....

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
:rolleyes:

no they are not even contenders.....they are only ranked first in odds to win the cup :rolleyes:

By who?

Washington is better.

Sure Tavares and Matthews is great. Washington has backstrom and kuznetsov. Sure marner/Nylander is great but ovechkin is better.

It goes on. Carlson>Reilly. Holtby>Andersen.

So ranked 1st is nice but do you believe it?

Tavares will replace goals lost by JVR leaving. Bossy gone too. Tavares is great but they lost pieces too.

I’m not sold on Toronto

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Who matches JVR goals? Tavares will take some. Marleau is declining too. So it will balance out.

Washington won the cup with WORSE GF/GA then Toronto had last year,

defense is not really important when you have a team capable of scoring 8-10 goals every game

toronto will easily match and pass their goal total of last season

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
why risk injury
whats the point

This logic is dumb IMO, he could get injured while playing in Finland also... It's a men's league.

It was the same last year with Mete, ohhhhh send him down, he's not ready phisically, he will get destroyed yadda yadda yadda.

He seems fine...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Toronto is a solid hockey team, but they're still missing a piece or two to be able to go all the way
Yes they added Tavares and that's a huge piece to the puzzle but one can argue are they better than the bruins? Are they better than the Bolts?
I mean before thinking of playing the Penguins or the Caps, are they even better then the teams in our division?
they're on the right track, but still missing IMO at least 2 players to be a real contender and be ready to take on the 4 teams I mentioned in the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad