Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Flyers- December 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I would think he and Johnsson will swap lines before long.

I hope so, but I wouldn't count on it. I think Dubas (and possibly Keefe) are higher on Johnsson than most, and will continue to give him 1st line minutes, despite him playing like a 3rd liner. Hyman may not produce as many points, but he's the more effective player and would open up more space for Matthews and Nylander IMO.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I love this. Stacking the Powerplay now that Marner is almost back, and Rielly demoted to the 2nd PP. Hyman on the 3rd is great as well. This is exactly the way it should be.
Keefe is doing the obvious things Babcock wouldn't.

Interesting that Spezza and Petan are on the PP2 unit... does that mean the 4th line could be Petan-Spezza-Shore rather than Engvall-Gauthier-Timashov??

I've been a fan of Engvall, but he'll probably get sent down due to numbers games when Marner comes back. Timashov may be put on waivers. Spezza, Shore and Petan give the Leafs more face-off options for the Leafs.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Can someone explain why Spezza is sitting??

10 points in 17 games, great at faceoffs and pretty good defensive player.

Not sure what else you want from a guy playing largely on the 4th line.

He might not be... he's on the 2nd PP unit. It could be Engvall, Gauthier and Shore sitting, no?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He'll play Tuesday I'm positive. Wednesday... who knows. It will all depend on Marner.

When everyone is healthy, I'd expect Spezza to play 4th line center the majority of the time, with Gauthier moving to wing or rotating with Spezza.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Those lineups will likely be for wednesday (colorado) as apparently that's when Marner can return

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

Good, Rielly's brutal on the pp

Have any of the Leafs staff or reporters commented on what 'pain' he has. Its obviously impacted his play greatly. Not only has he looked worse defensively this year, but he's looked worse offensively as well which is where he typically shines.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Somewhere, Babcock is shaking his head in disapproval!

giphy.gif

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
There's no reason for Rielly to be on the power play, especially if he is hurt. I'd put Muzzin and Barrie there before him due to their vastly superior shots.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

As good as he's been, he probably shouldn't be playing both games of a back to back at his age. I think NHL teams are still behind the curve when it comes to rest, but that should be pretty obvious.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
As good as he's been, he probably shouldn't be playing both games of a back to back at his age. I think NHL teams are still behind the curve when it comes to rest, but that should be pretty obvious.
While that is fair a guy like Hainsey played every game and was close to leading the team in ice time last year at a similar age. Spezza plays probably half as many minutes per game too.

I just think he has been too good to rotate out but I get why a coach may want to keep him fresh by not playing back to backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad