Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I completely agree that Tortorella has the experience over Keefe.

However would you not agree the neutral fans or more likely the Leafs haters are overhyping Tortorella just based on what Columbus did against Tampa Bay and why they think Toronto won't end up defeating them.
For sure. I find it best to just leave the main board opinions there though.
We have enough stupidity here at times without bringing outside ‘opinions’.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I completely agree that Tortorella has the experience over Keefe.

However would you not agree the neutral fans or more likely the Leafs haters are overhyping Tortorella just based on what Columbus did against Tampa Bay and why they think Toronto won't end up defeating them.
I wouldn't say either team has the edge. Look at Babcock vs Cassidy.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I mean the Bruins got the edge when Cassidy actually adjusted his strategy against us before games 6 and 7 last year.

Keefe isn't afraid to put pressure on the big guns and try some out of the box stuff. Could possibly us the edge because Torts is just as stubborn as Babs and doesn't usually change things too much.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Going in you don’t believe Babcock had the edge?
I think you always have to give the known the edge over the unknown until shown differently. Either way it’s not going to be a difference maker either way, like Babcock made it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean the Bruins got the edge when Cassidy actually adjusted his strategy against us before games 6 and 7 last year.

Keefe isn't afraid to put pressure on the big guns and try some out of the box stuff. Could possibly us the edge because Torts is just as stubborn as Babs and doesn't usually change things too much.
I said this before and I will say it again. In last years Game 7 Matthews total ice time was 18:48 and despite Boston making it a 3-1 score at the 2:40 mark of the 3rd period, there was no excuse to not play Matthews as much as possible. The Leafs were still in it despite losing 3-1 and the Bruins didn't score their 4th goal until the 17:26 mark and that was an empty net goal.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

That's exactly it. It wasn't the Leafs that had the coaching edge, even though they had an edge in experience.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Exactly because if you look at previous experience just on paper, Toronto should have won the last 2 years against Boston based on Babcock's resume.
See this a lot, not just this post.
It’s never just one thing that determines a series but a collection of things. Cassidy won the coaching battle but that wasn’t the only reason they won the series.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think you always have to give the known the edge over the unknown until shown differently. Either way it’s not going to be a difference maker either way, like Babcock made it.
I think his point is Babcock never got the same benefit of the doubt going into their playoff series against Boston, despite having the same number of Stanley Cup's as Tortorella which is a total of 1. Plus his last playoff series win as a coach was in 2013, which was the same year Tortorella won a series as a coach before last year.

The difference is coaching experience is now being brought up as a positive for Columbus and a negative for Toronto, although it's more because of what happened last year with Columbus sweeping Tampa and not because of what Tortorella did.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I didn't think the Leafs had any inherent advantage in the coaching department, no. I was already 3 years into seeing what Babcock was about.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
See this a lot, not just this post.
It’s never just one thing that determines a series but a collection of things. Cassidy won the coaching battle but that wasn’t the only reason they won the series.
One major area where the Bruins took advantage was their power play and the Leafs not being able to kill those penalties.

In Game 6 when they were up 3-2 with a chance to eliminate them in Toronto, the Bruins power play was 2/2 in that 4-2 win. Hell they only scored 1 goal at 5v5 that day because their 4th goal was in an empty net.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I didn't think the Leafs had any inherent advantage in the coaching department, no. I was already 3 years into
seeing what Babcock was about.
True enough :laugh:
Do you give Torts an edge here?
I think one thing that has gone in Keefes favour is the scrutiny will be dialed down considerably vs a normal playoff year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think his point is Babcock never got the same benefit of the doubt going into their playoff series against Boston, despite having the same number of Stanley Cup's as Tortorella which is a total of 1. Plus his last playoff series win as a coach was in 2013, which was the same year Tortorella won a series as a coach before last year.

The difference is coaching experience is now being brought up as a positive for Columbus and a negative for Toronto, although it's more because of what happened last year with Columbus sweeping Tampa and not because of what Tortorella did.
Don’t see it that way.
IMO it’s no different than saying Columbus has the defensive edge or the Leafs have the offensive edge.
It’s just a way to look at the series.
IMO it will be a large upset if the Leafs lose.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
True enough :laugh:
Do you give Torts an edge here?
I think one thing that has gone in Keefes favour is the scrutiny will be dialed down considerably vs a normal playoff year.
I am more of the mindset that coaches can't win a series, but they most certainly can lose them. So I don't think in terms of one or the other having an edge. IMO it's only a factor if it is bad.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't think the Leafs had any inherent advantage in the coaching department, no. I was already 3 years into seeing what Babcock was about.
Babcock should have been fired after last years playoffs and it sucks that Shanahan overruled Dubas since he wanted make that happen, although at least Shanahan admitted he was wrong about that decision.

Reactions: DivInit23 and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad