Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
On the Stanley Cup Playoffs forums it was said that should worry Leafs fans more than Blue Jackets fans.
This Columbus team is not the same Columbus team from last year. Jones/Werenski cannot play 40 minutes a game.

I don't really care what Torts does, both teams healthy we have way more talent. We should win this series.

People act like Tortorella is the only coach that actually coaches his team lol

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The thing many people don't remember about Torts is that he has won a Jack Adams also Sheldon Keefe has not.
Torts has also won more games then Keefe in his career:sarcasm:
This Columbus team is not the same Columbus team from last year. Jones/Werenski cannot play 40 minutes a game.

I don't really care what Torts does, both teams healthy we have way more talent. We should win this series.
Yeah I'm pretty confident.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

People act like Tortorella is the only coach that actually coaches his team lol
They are also missing Duchene and Panarin who were #1 and #2 in scoring against Tampa Bay.

It's also crazy how Tortorella is being talked about like he's the second coming of Scott Bowman.

Reactions: cookie and kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What Torts does, what Columbus does... they don't matter, if the Leafs execute in the way that they have the potential to. If our Leafs execute offensively, and defensively, and Andersen/Campbell play to their potential, we should easily win this series... we simply have a greater talent level than Columbus does overall. If we don't, then yes, their defensive strength, and Torts could come into play, and they could challenge us. It's up to Keefe, and our top players and leaders, to ensure that we don't let them into this series. Hit early, score often in the first game, and don't let up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The thing many people don't remember about Torts is that he has won a Jack Adams also Sheldon Keefe has not.

Torts has actually won it 2 X already (2004 & 2017 ) tied for 2nd all-time with Scotty Bowman, and is also a finalist this year (2020) as well, with former Leafs/Habs coach Pat Burns holding the record with 3 wins of coach of the year all time.

The fact that he is ripping into his players now to motivate them to get them to increase their compete levels to get ready for our Leafs shouldn't come as surprise, nor admitting he is considered a good coach.

CBJ can't compete with the Leafs offensively, the only chance they have is to outwork them. Keefe will need to be on his game and also have our Leafs ready, willing and able to compete hard as well. Skill alone is not going to do it. IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224 and rumman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Torts has actually won it 2 X already (2004 & 2017 ) tied for 2nd all-time with Scotty Bowman, and is also a finalist this year (2020) as well, with former Leafs/Habs coach Pat Burns holding the record with 3 wins of coach of the year all time.

The fact that he is ripping into his players now to motivate them to get them to increase their compete levels to get ready for our Leafs shouldn't come as surprise, nor admitting he is a considered a good coach.

CBJ can't compete with the Leafs offensively, the only chance they have is to outwork them. Keefe will need to be on his game and also have our Leafs ready, willing and able to compete hard as well. Skill alone is not going to do it. IMO
No matter what coaching decisions or yelling Tortorella does, I can't wait to see Sheldon Keefe giving Auston Matthews even more ice time in a playoff series.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews will be key for the Leafs and need to be a key contributor, if he is the series MVP then Leafs should be advancing without much issue.
Last year in 7 games against Boston who is a better team compared to Columbus, he had 5 goals and 1 assist for 6 points. So I can't wait to see how Sheldon Keefe plays him without limiting his total ice time.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

The fact that he is ripping into his players now to motivate them to get them to increase their compete levels to get ready for our Leafs shouldn't come as surprise, nor admitting he is a considered a good coach.

Atkinson scoring 41 last season then dropping to a projected 20 goals without Panarin is all we need to know about this series.

They have one play maker, and their best goal scorer is a D man.

This whole skill vs will thing doesn't really apply to this series. Only chance Columbus has if they caught us when everyone was injured.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Ice Time

Hyman - Matthews - Marner (25 Mins/Night)
Nylander - Tavares - Mikheyev (20 Mins/Night)
Robertson/Engvall - Kerfoot - Kapanen (10 Mins/Night)
Clifford - Gauthier - Spezza (5 Mins/Night) - Spezza plays around 10

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ice Time

Hyman - Matthews - Marner (25 Mins/Night)
Nylander - Tavares - Mikheyev (20 Mins/Night)
Robertson/Engvall - Kerfoot - Kapanen (10 Mins/Night)
Clifford - Gauthier - Spezza (5 Mins/Night) - Spezza plays around 10
Playing the third line 10 minutes a game will make them unable to get any offensive opportunities and will squander our potential depth scoring. The first line shouldnt be playing 25 minutes a game. I think 22 for the 1st line should be enough. We have the ability to defeat the jackets through our strength in offensive depth along with high power top 4 forwards. The jackets have a really strong defensive core. If we force feed to many minutes to the first and 2nd lines they may be able to limit our overall offense through playing werenksi/savard/jones/murray 25+ minutes each.

Giving 20 minutes to the 1st and 2nd line then giving like 13.5 to the 3rd line and 6.5 to the 4th line should allow for our bottom 6 to be contributing and dominating the jackets third pairing.

Reactions: Havoc

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They are also missing Duchene and Panarin who were #1 and #2 in scoring against Tampa Bay.

It's also crazy how Tortorella is being talked about like he's the second coming of Scott Bowman.
Good coach but I haven’t seen anyone mention of a likeness to Bowman. Any examples or is that made up?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Sandin is likely a healthy scratch in the playoffs when we're healthy right?

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie

God I hate that Barrie is on the 3rd pair and Ceci is eating minutes with Rielly

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good coach but I haven’t seen anyone mention of a likeness to Bowman. Any examples or is that made up?
I'm just using Bowman's name as an example based on how neutral fans seem to be talking about how great Tortorella is, which is why they think Columbus will win and Toronto will not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm just using Bowman's name as an example based on how neutral fans seem to be talking about how great Tortorella is, which is why they think Columbus will win and Toronto will not.
Coaching is an area where they have an edge, no one can reasonably dispute that. That won’t be enough to win the series though.

Reactions: Duffman955

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Atkinson scoring 41 last season then dropping to a projected 20 goals without Panarin is all we need to know about this series.

They have one play maker, and their best goal scorer is a D man.

This whole skill vs will thing doesn't really apply to this series. Only chance Columbus has if they caught us when everyone was injured.

You know the boxing/MMA saying, 'He's got a puncher's chance'.... that unlikely puncher's chance did connect by catching Tampa off guard. Their fans rolling with that and thinking that punchers' chance will come to fruition again because the stars aligned just right last year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Coaching is an area where they have an edge, no one can reasonably dispute that. That won’t be enough to win the series though.
I completely agree that Tortorella has the experience over Keefe.

However would you not agree the neutral fans or more likely the Leafs haters are overhyping Tortorella just based on what Columbus did against Tampa Bay and why they think Toronto won't end up defeating them.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad