Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
On Jack Campbell’s status and availability for tomorrow in Vancouver:

No real update other than he wasn’t available today to back up. We are going to get out to Vancouver and we will have to re-assess everything with our goalies tomorrow as well as our lineup in general.​

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Trap games are typically games against a soft opponent where the following game is against a very good opponent, so the team overlooks the easier game and loafs it.

So not really a trap game. But it could be a letdown game, where the Leafs are riding high after dominating the Oilers and come in on the second half of a back to back (with travel) and lay an egg.

Either way if you can get 3/4 points on any back to back, you're doing well. They've already gotten 2.

Just show up with a solid effort is all I ask for. The Leafs have done so well that I can tolerate the occasional loss as long as their play doesn't start to decline and it become a trend.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I don't mind giving Jumbo a rest tonight, and I'm fine with getting Liljegren his first game and giving Bogosian a blow. Spezza, however, I'm not taking out of the lineup unless he wants the night off, or is quietly dealing with something. He's been great lately and generating a lot of chances for his line.

Give me...

Anybody / Matthews / Marner
Kerfoot / Tavares / Nylander
Mikheyev / Engvall / Hyman
Vesey / Boyd / Spezza

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Dermott or Lehtonen / Liljegren

Campbell (if ready)
Hutch

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Trap games are typically games against a soft opponent where the following game is against a very good opponent, so the team overlooks the easier game and loafs it.

So not really a trap game. But it could be a letdown game, where the Leafs are riding high after dominating the Oilers and come in on the second half of a back to back (with travel) and lay an egg.

Either way if you can get 3/4 points on any back to back, you're doing well. They've already gotten 2.

Just show up with a solid effort is all I ask for. The Leafs have done so well that I can tolerate the occasional loss as long as their play doesn't start to decline and it become a trend.
I think it would have hurt morale worse to have a let down last night personally. Like if we lose 4-1 tonight, I think it's easy enough to chalk up to road fatigue, law of averages, etc.

On the flip side though, if they do show up for this one I think that continues to break the narrative around the Leafs with regards to trap type games and playing to the level of their opponent. Again I thought last night was a big risk of that and they didn't let the Oilers off the mat, smothered them defensively. This year definitely feels different even if we're only like a quarter of the way through a normal season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't mind giving Jumbo a rest tonight, and I'm fine with getting Liljegren his first game and giving Bogosian a blow. Spezza, however, I'm not taking out of the lineup unless he wants the night off, or is quietly dealing with something. He's been great lately and generating a lot of chances for his line.

Give me...

Vesey / Boyd / Spezza

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl

Campbell (if ready)
Hutch

Um, wut?

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think it would have hurt morale worse to have a let down last night personally. Like if we lose 4-1 tonight, I think it's easy enough to chalk up to road fatigue, law of averages, etc.

On the flip side though, if they do show up for this one I think that continues to break the narrative around the Leafs with regards to trap type games and playing to the level of their opponent. Again I thought last night was a big risk of that and they didn't let the Oilers off the mat, smothered them defensively. This year definitely feels different even if we're only like a quarter of the way through a normal season.

They're finding ways to win in different contexts which is a good sign. They can rope a dope for a period or two before taking control, they can have a strong start and defend well enough to protect the lead, and then can go back and forth in a shootout.

I just know they won't win every game this season, so I'm more concern about how they're playing versus results at this point because if they keep this level of play up the wins in both the regular season and playoffs will come. I just hope they don't get overconfident.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I think Vancouver have really underperformed this year, they have more talent then many of the Canadian teams and just haven’t performed. If they start putting it together they will be good. So leafs can’t take them lightly

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
They're finding ways to win in different contexts which is a good sign. They can rope a dope for a period or two before taking control, they can have a strong start and defend well enough to protect the lead, and then can go back and forth in a shootout.

I just know they won't win every game this season, so I'm more concern about how they're playing versus results at this point because if they keep this level of play up the wins in both the regular season and playoffs will come. I just hope they don't get overconfident.
I agree, I like that they're getting up for important or highly visible games like last night. Former versions of this team would have let that game slip away in the 1st period and never get back in it. Between that and the very obvious difference in how the team is performing defensively, I'm cautiously optimistic that we're finally seeing the corner get turned.

I would hope that Keefe is reminding them constantly that nothing has changed until they get the playoff monkey off their back. It's validating to be playing how they are, it'll be much more validating to win a couple of rounds and silence critics. Then they can concentrate on contending until the core regresses to the point of needing to rebuild....Pittsburgh and Chicago are still in their compete windows around the same cores, so we should be good for a while if we got the formula right.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Give me...

Vesey / Boyd / Spezza

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl

Campbell (if ready)
Hutch

TMI TMI!!!

Reactions: DutchHockeyGuy

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Take 3 out of the next 4 points against Vancouver and then focus on that next three game set against Winnipeg to keep the division lead over them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oilers fan, posted in he pre-game asking to at least allow us one goal, thanks! lmao what a stomping, you guys put the hurt on us and I do not look forward to seeing you anytime soon, but keep it up. Your team is stellar.

Thanks!

Here's hoping that Holland has the stones and ability to really clean house for you guys and build a real team around McDrai.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'll say the same thing I did to the other guy.

If Bogosian keeps playing the way he has lately, I'll start a Go Fund Me for the Leafs to get him as many "blows" as he needs. I'm not above fundraising for a good cause.

:laugh::laugh:

Oilers fan, posted in he pre-game asking to at least allow us one goal, thanks! lmao what a stomping, you guys put the hurt on us and I do not look forward to seeing you anytime soon, but keep it up. Your team is stellar.

Thanks!

I really, really hope you guys somehow get on track. I've been saying for years now that McDavid not being in the playoffs year after year is just so bad for the NHL and hockey in general so I wish the Oilers all the best.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
:laugh::laugh:

Thanks!

I really, really hope you guys somehow get on track. I've been saying for years now that McDavid not being in the playoffs year after year is just so bad for the NHL and hockey in general so I wish the Oilers all the best.

I've been a lifelong fan, hell I was born during their 1st ever home game ever. But if he leaves I'm following along, I can't do another rebuild or decade of darkness. Cheers!

Reactions: zeke

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Would be a surprise seeing campbell back there tonight sire. That would really be a surprising move by our rear end. But I'm ready even for that one sires. It'll be such fun again! :clap:

Reactions: Altair

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Turn this thread to a GDT already.

Spotted: Edmonton To Vancouver Train

8qlCGwN.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: glue and Rocker13

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Would be nice to see Lilly in for Bogosian, but fine with the lineup, and only the 1 change. Keep on rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->