Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Bruins- teams needs to play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2009
Let the kids rack up the points and then trade one of them for a defenseman.

Why do so many people think that simply adding a top Dman, even if it's a stud Dman will improve the Leafs game to the SC level. Look what's happening with Erik Karlson in San Jose. We've got Reilly and even Gardiner has stopped goofing up so much (which makes him a pretty good Dman) and Dermott is top 4. Keep our kids and simply work on improving the teams overall defensive game. Be sure all of our forwards play a 200 foot game.[/QUOTE]
yes the great defenseman erik karlsson

Reactions: sessiroth

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Andersen can't play as many games this year as he did last year, we burned him out before we even made the playoffs last season so that means the backup needs to play

Sparks has had 3 good starts and 3 bad, he's a young backup trying to find his way in the league, he's going to have some inconsistencies and we need to accept and live with it

If we have to sacrifice some points to get Andersen his rest I'm more than willing to accept it, we have bigger fish to fry in the post season and everything should be geared towards that

Absolutely true Freddie can't play as many games nobody wants that we just want some we can trust as the backup.

That unfortunately is not Sparks

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Andersen can't play as many games this year as he did last year, we burned him out before we even made the playoffs last season so that means the backup needs to play

Sparks has had 3 good starts and 3 bad, he's a young backup trying to find his way in the league, he's going to have some inconsistencies and we need to accept and live with it

If we have to sacrifice some points to get Andersen his rest I'm more than willing to accept it, we have bigger fish to fry in the post season and everything should be geared towards that

That's fine but if Andersen gets hurt, we're in a world of trouble. I'm not confident Sparks could even get this team to a playoff spot.

And if Andersen gets hurt during the playoffs, we're completely f'ed. I don't see Sparks winning us a single playoff game at this point. I know, a starter going down in playoffs is basically a death sentence but I would want a backup that could at least give us a fighting chance.

From what I've seen with Sparks at the NHL level it does not inspire any confidence whatsoever.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's fine but if Andersen gets hurt, we're in a world of trouble. I'm not confident Sparks could even get this team to a playoff spot.

And if Andersen gets hurt during the playoffs, we're completely f'ed. I don't see Sparks winning us a single playoff game at this point. I know, a starter going down in playoffs is basically a death sentence but I would want a backup that could at least give us a fighting chance.

From what I've seen with Sparks at the NHL level it does not inspire any confidence whatsoever.

Which waiver fodder goalie would give us a fighting chance?

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Which waiver fodder goalie would give us a fighting chance?

McElhinney could have.

Edit: But to answer your question, there probably isn't one. Which is the real shot to the nads as we now might have to give up actual assets to get one.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
And now we're stuck with a worse goalie. Awesome.
One week he is better, one week he is worse.

Imo it's irrelevant. At least Sparks is younger and going to be with the org longer.

None of them are a Saros...so no point in arguing over which girl is pretty when both are plain Jane's.

swint

Nov 16, 2014
Think we lose this one 7-6.... Pastrnak with 7 goals for the B's

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
McElhinney could have.

Edit: But to answer your question, there probably isn't one. Which is the real shot to the nads as we now might have to give up actual assets to get one.

I have no clue how sparks won a Calder Cup. He looks like he misses the shots in the top corner by three feet even thoug he’s in the middle of the net.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I saw in the NHL sticky thread that Bergeron may require surgery and could be out for the season. Bad news, if that’s the case.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
One week he is better, one week he is worse.

Imo it's irrelevant. At least Sparks is younger and going to be with the org longer.

None of them are a Saros...so no point in arguing over which girl is pretty when both are plain Jane's.

Gap is significant between the two in my opinion but to each their own.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Absolutely true Freddie can't play as many games nobody wants that we just want some we can trust as the backup.

That unfortunately is not Sparks

The drop off from Andersen to any of the guys we had is huge and I don't have a lot of faith in any of them carrying the team long term if Andersen went down

It was a risk picking Sparks but I still think it was a risk we needed to take and he has looked good when the team has fought hard in front of him which is probably all you can ask of him at this stage

If Andersen goes down were in deep **** no matter who the backup is, especially if the team plays the way it has been recently

I don't love Sparks technique but when the team plays well in front of him he wins which is as much I can ask of him

Expecting him to stand on his head or carry the team if the teams flat/disinterested that night just isn't realistic

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
The drop off from Andersen to any of the guys we had is huge and I don't have a lot of faith in any of them carrying the team long term if Andersen went down

It was a risk picking Sparks but I still think it was a risk we needed to take and he has looked good when the team has fought hard in front of him which is probably all you can ask of him at this stage

If Andersen goes down were in deep **** no matter who the backup is, especially if the team plays the way it has been recently

I don't love Sparks technique but when the team plays well in front of him he wins which is as much I can ask of him

Expecting him to stand on his head or carry the team if the teams flat/disinterested that night just isn't realistic

Well I'd rather not fold on the season even if Andersen goes down. I want a dependable backup and Sparks hasn't shown that yet.

Regarding last night, if our goalie can't even make basic saves or fight through partial screens that's not good. We could've played our best game of the season and still goals 1, 3, 4 would've gone in.

Although I admit it's early and maybe he can turn it around. But based on his fundamentals it doesn't look promising.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Nylander will help Kadri. Kadri is more of a finisher and he needs someone who can help him gain entry. Brown is a good compliment if he plays like he did in 3rd last night. Finally I saw some fight in him in 3rd. When he plays like he did his rookie year he is in my top 9 all day every day and twice on sundays. But this season he has taken too many games off. Flashes here and there. I think Babs told him if he didn't pick it up he would sit him in press box.

Kadri line with AJ/Kapanen scored a goal within the first few moments of the game. Not saying that kadri isn't playing his best but Brown has been horrible offensively since that 20 goal season.
Brown atm is perfectly suited for the fourth line duties with occasional shifts in the third until Nylander gains his footing.
Believe me i love the guy n what he brings to the pk but with the skill we currently have, i can't see brown in the top 9 at all.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well I'd rather not fold on the season even if Andersen goes down. I want a dependable backup and Sparks hasn't shown that yet.

Regarding last night, if our goalie can't even make basic saves or fight through partial screens that's not good. We could've played our best game of the season and still goals 1, 3, 4 would've gone in.

Although I admit it's early and maybe he can turn it around. But based on his fundamentals it doesn't look promising.

The thing is if the team shows even a modicum of life Sparks is giving them a chance to win

He's had some very good games and some very bad but if the team is letting him see what's coming at him and are fighting for pucks around our net we don't actually give up much and Sparks looks good

He's going to give up some bad ones at times but that's usual for a young guy just starting his career, he needs to be persevered with and the team needs a rocket because we are not playing well and Andersen is saving our asses way to often for my liking

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
Let the kids rack up the points and then trade one of them for a defenseman.[/QUOTE

Why do so many people think that simply adding a top Dman, even if it's a stud Dman will improve the Leafs game to the SC level. Look what's happening with Erik Karlson in San Jose. We've got Reilly and even Gardiner has stopped goofing up so much (which makes him a pretty good Dman) and Dermott is top 4. Keep our kids and simply work on improving the teams overall defensive game. Be sure all of our forwards play a 200 foot game.

I couldn’t agree more with this post TBH.

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Kadri needs to find his groove.
He's getting outscored by Kappy, and only has one more point then marleau and zach freaking Hyman. Not to mention he's giving away the puck at crucial times and looks bad all round.
Hes getting chances sure but at some point you have to score.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Kadri needs to find his groove.
He's getting outscored by Kappy, and only has one more point then marleau and zach freaking Hyman. Not to mention he's giving away the puck at crucial times and looks bad all round.
Hes getting chances sure but at some point you have to score.
He didn't look that great until Marner was put on his line last year; something like a 15 game goalless drought that was snapped the first game with Marner. If both Johnsson and Kapanen are his wingers, there's no excuses for him to still struggle. That line should eat other teams depth lines alive. He's had a lot of chances, just needs one to go in.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He didn't look that great until Marner was put on his line last year; something like a 15 game goalless drought that was snapped the first game with Marner. If both Johnsson and Kapanen are his wingers, there's no excuses for him to still struggle. That line should eat other teams depth lines alive. He's had a lot of chances, just needs one to go in.
Yeah needs to pick it up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad