Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If you compare the rosters side by side there is no reason why the Leafs shouldn't be able to beat the Bruins in 5 games. The reality is that our high priced players will most likely be dominated by the likes of Trent Frederick, JVR, and Kevin Shattenkirk.

Montgomery is going to coach circles around Keefe

Like it will be really bad

If the Leafs win this series it will be in spite of Keefe

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Except for the fact that in the playoffs, goaltending is everything.
The Leafs made the playoffs and any victory from here on out is pure gravy and I think they’ll get 4 ladles of gravy in this series, despite their deficiencies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Some annoying things that we've literally never fixed in any of these series, including those against the Bruins...

They're going to attack the hell out of our weak side puck moving D - Benoit, Lybushkin and Edmundson. So painfully obvious.

The other is complete ass special teams.

Tired of watching that for all these years lol

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Some annoying things that we've literally never fixed in any of these series, including those against the Bruins...

They're going to attack the hell out of our weak side puck moving D - Benoit, Lybushkin and Edmundson. So painfully obvious.

Well, last year against FLA, the game plan for them was nonstop dump the puck in, forecheck on the samller D side and create a turn over and start the cycle game. Toronto is much better suited this year to sustain a heavy forecheck with a bigger d-core

Everyone can say what they want, but this team can play with the best teams in the league, they shown it, its whether they can do it at a high lvl for the next 28 games lol.

It's going to come down to winning special teams battle and limiting the turnovers and self inflicted wounds.

Reactions: Jojalu

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Teams have been feasting on the Leafs with the cross seam pass lately. They seem to have no ability to defend it and I see no evidence of adjustments made. Sorry but I just have no confidence in them right now.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

And the formula to beat Boston is the same. Their defense is prone to shrinking under a heavy forecheck. If average joes like the lot of us can see that, surely a large scouting/coaching staff can. Throw it in the corner and punish them. They’ll cough it up

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The lack of certainty with our lines and defence pairings is problematic but at the same time we have very strong depth, so there's many options.

Keefe could find the correct lineup very early or this could be a series where our lineup looks quite different game to game.
It was the same issue last year heading into the playoffs, the uncertainty of the lines… You have 82 games to figure it out, that’s on the coach.

Reactions: weems

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
And the formula to beat Boston is the same. Their defense is prone to shrinking under a heavy forecheck. If average joes like the lot of us can see that, surely a large scouting/coaching staff can. Throw it in the corner and punish them. They’ll cough it up

Other than the fourth line and a couple of other forwards sprinkled in the top 9, the Leafs forward group is really not build to forecheck / cycle / grind teams down.

They managed to beef up the defense this year but our top 6 especially is still very soft by and large.

I just hope in his excitement Domi doesn't do something stupid.

52 minutes in penalties with Dallas lol

• Wow
Reactions: ACC1224

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just hope in his excitement Domi doesn't do something stupid.

I haven’t seen anything in him that tells me he will do something stupid. Kadri and Bunting on the other hand, you knew. They were very unhinged. Domi to me seems like he is in control all the time. I don’t think he will get unhinged just because this is the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I haven’t seen anything in him that tells me he will do something stupid. Kadri and Bunting on the other hand, you knew. They were very unhinged. Domi to me seems like he is in control all the time. I don’t think he will get unhinged just because this is the playoffs.
He does lead the team in penalty minutes by a large margin and he went a little over the top just last week which is how he hurt his hand.
I'm not down on him as a player, it's just a concern.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I see Domi being a big factor in the outcome of this series.
Hopefully it's a positive impact and not a negative one.
The fact we are not sure is very Leafy.

Agreed. Him playing well allows the lineup to be vastly different and spread out.

Marner with Matthews Tavares (typo) would be my play, for the defence alone. Nylander needs to be able to drive some offence on his own line with what should be a favourable matchup.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He does lead the team in penalty minutes by a large margin and he went a little over the top just last week which is how he hurt his hand.
I'm not down on him as a player, it's just a concern.

Yes, but I thought you were talking about something suspendable. He will protect his teammates but he isn’t gonna do something to get suspended.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think that used to be true, but when you see guys like Hill, Kuemper, Binnginton, etc. winning Cups, I'm not so sure that goaltending is the most critical position anymore. Unless the Rangers win the Cup on the back of Shesterkin posting a .940 during the playoffs, or Demko or Helle putting up an even crazier number, the odds are very high that a pretty average goalie, whether from the East or the West, is going to win the Cup this season.
It's not meant to taken literally, but there's still a lot of truth there. And while an average goalie might win the cup, there's a good chance that that average goalie will play like a superstar in these playoffs.

The Leafs made the playoffs and any victory from here on out is pure gravy and I think they’ll get 4 ladles of gravy in this series, despite their deficiencies.
I sure hope so. IMO making the playoffs with this roster is a given and thus, not an achievement of any kind. Winning a round would be nice and I understand that in theory we have a very good chance to do so, maybe 45% or whatever but considering our history, I'm having such a hard time picturing it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The fact we are not sure is very Leafy.

Agreed. Him playing well allows the lineup to be vastly different and spread out.

Marner with Matthews would be my play, for the defence alone. Nylander needs to be able to drive some offence on his own line with what should be a favourable matchup.

I disagree, that almost never worked. Keep Matthews and Marner separate.

Reactions: wingman75

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I disagree, that almost never worked. Keep Matthews and Marner separate.
Still would love to see Marner drive the 3rd line by himself with Jankrok and Holmberg over Nylander. Marner loves to force a pass and play that's not there to get the puck to 34 when he's on that line.

This way he would just be able to do everything himself and not have to worry about forcing plays to the best shooter on the ice.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If the Leafs win this series it will be in spite of Keefe

You could say that fir damned near any game they play.

The Leafs have forwards who can punish you in the corners?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's not meant to taken literally, but there's still a lot of truth there. And while an average goalie might win the cup, there's a good chance that that average goalie will play like a superstar in these playoffs.
I think Shesterkin is the best chance for the elite goalie group to "reset" its dominance, so to speak. Helle is the best goalie in the game right now, but I'm not sure Winnipeg has the offense needed to win a Cup (although they have a good chance to beat Colorado in the first round). Carolina is once again betting on average goaltending, and there is no way that Bob repeats his performance from rounds two and three last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad