Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think Boston is the weaker team on paper compared to Florida, but they play hard and have a well structured game - both things the Leafs will need to discover to beat them.

Once again it is on our players to make it happen and stop making excuses.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The one positive about playing the Bruins first over the Panthers is that if the Leafs somehow get past Boston, it's quite possible Florida and Tampa will beat the snot out of each other and have nothing left in the tank for round two. I'd still pick the winner of that series over Toronto, but a beat up opponent at least gives them something to work with.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
To be honest, after 7 years of this core, and the officiating in the playoffs, I'm not really that excited like I used to be.

Reactions: OddyOh

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I admire all the optimism here, after last night's debacle, it's hard to imagine this group of cupcakes winning more than maybe one game against Boston. Like O'Dog said, this is not a serious team. I hope they can prove everyone wrong but the way they've played the last few games and especially last night, it's hard to be optimistic (that's me anyway).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The one positive about playing the Bruins first over the Panthers is that if the Leafs somehow get past Boston, it's quite possible Florida and Tampa will beat the snot out of each other and have nothing left in the tank for round two. I'd still pick the winner of that series over Toronto, but a beat up opponent at least gives them something to work with.

The problem is that, after 8 years of this core (5 with JT), we're still saying "if we SOMEHOW get by Boston". That tells you there is something wrong here. We should be favourites, but here we are hoping to somehow get by Boston still.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This team is now focused on getting Matty #70. I hope it does not screw them up for the playoffs.

Gotta agree with Cox, what are you doing pulling the goalie with the score 5-2, after giving up an ENG and playing Matty the last few minutes? Is that how you want #70?

This guy has 69 goals. He does not need to be spoon fed for #70. Just play hockey and it will come.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it depends on our goaltending, the rest of the team Toronto is better, we'll see if Sammy or Woll can get back to playing better.

Bruins goaltending is unproven in the playoffs though. Both played a part in their 3-1 choke to the Panthers.

Having two good goalies like the Bruins have could also hurt you if you are too switch happy after a bad game or two and end up having two goalies with no confidence.

Their goaltending is a clear advantage though. Samsonov was doing so well but these past few games have been stinkers.

Leafs likely don't have the ability to give a goalie another game if it's a bad game like the Bruins do. They have to move to Woll immediately.

horner

May 22, 2007
If we don't win this series big changes coming. Which isn't a Nad thing after we got our asses handed to us last night.

Willy goid thing you already signed your deal because the way you have been playing troubles me .
Morgan you must be hurt because you suck.
Keefe get your bags packed

Except for Mathew's no player should be untouchable if we dint win

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

If Tampa and Toronto advances, the Leafs are a clear favorite. We beat a better Tampa team last year and they have only gotten older and more reliant on their PP.

That feels like a long way away though.

Just win Game 1 so we can go home tied at worst.

Reactions: Sypher04

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has there been any mention of when a Playoff schedule will be announced?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Bruins goaltending is unproven in the playoffs though. Both played a part in their 3-1 choke to the Panthers.

Having two good goalies like the Bruins have could also hurt you if you are too switch happy after a bad game or two and end up having two goalies with no confidence.

Their goaltending is a clear advantage though. Samsonov was doing so well but these past few games have been stinkers.

Leafs likely don't have the ability to give a goalie another game if it's a bad game like the Bruins do. They have to move to Woll immediately.
Woll hasn't played well since returning from his injury.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Panthers could have had an easy first-round matchup and they blew it.... Suckers
Maurice and Panthers are thinking home ice in round #2 vs Boston. They just played the game hard. Leafs lucked out and now draw Boston, who may have pissed off the hockey Gods by playing to lose to draw the Leafs. I expect them to figure out how to play by Saturday. Hopefully the Leafs will have forgotten Matty's quest for 70 and show up Saturday.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Maurice and Panthers are thinking home ice in round #2 vs Boston. They just played the game hard. Leafs lucked out and now draw Boston, who may have pissed off the hockey Gods by playing to lose to draw the Leafs. I expect them to figure out how to play by Saturday. Hopefully the Leafs will have forgotten Matty's quest for 70 and show up Saturday.
Why wouldn't Boston have had any interest in 'home ice in round #2'?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This team is now focused on getting Matty #70. I hope it does not screw them up for the playoffs.

Gotta agree with Cox, what are you doing pulling the goalie with the score 5-2, after giving up an ENG and playing Matty the last few minutes? Is that how you want #70?

This guy has 69 goals. He does not need to be spoon fed for #70. Just play hockey and it will come.

I see zero issue with it. The game was lost already and if Matthews scored it you can put the 70 goal chase in rear view and it makes the judgement of whether to play him vs Tampa or not much easier.

Reactions: ACC1224

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I admire all the optimism here, after last night's debacle, it's hard to imagine this group of cupcakes winning more than maybe one game against Boston. Like O'Dog said, this is not a serious team. I hope they can prove everyone wrong but the way they've played the last few games and especially last night, it's hard to be optimistic (that's me anyway).
I don't think the last few games mean much of anything. Boston lost to Ottawa and has hardly been impressive over the last few months either. It's a funny thing, but I bet most Bruins fans will pick the Leafs to win this series. Outside of Washington or the Islanders, both of whom should be dispatched pretty quickly in the first round, Boston or Tampa would have been the best match-up for the Leafs. Boston is very weak down the middle, and their goalies are noticeably worse in the playoffs. I don't see why this year will be any different for them.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If Tampa and Toronto advances, the Leafs are a clear favorite. We beat a better Tampa team last year and they have only gotten older and more reliant on their PP.
We're also worse than last year, especially at this point given the additions last year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I see zero issue with it. The game was lost already and if Matthews scored it you can put the 70 goal chase in rear view and it makes the judgement of whether to play him vs Tampa or not much easier.
This for sure, put an end to the circus. It definately had a negative effect the past few games.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad