Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
We’ve got a big edge at forward, but they’ve got a massive edge in goal and a slight edge on D:

Defence probably looks something like this:

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

vs

Rielly - Boosh
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Lily

Bruins with the edge overall - I think they’ve got better 1st and 2nd pairings while we’ve got the better 3rd pairing (assuming Keefe doesn’t try to force Brodie or Gio in there!).

Then in goal:

Swayman
Ullmark

vs

Sammy
Woll

Obviously they have an absolutely massive edge here, Swayman and Ullmark are both miles ahead of

That's a huge gap on D and Goalie tbh. "Slight" gap on D is an understatement. Their second pairing would be our top pairing

Boston plays a lot of afternoon games.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they start Saturday afternoon.

Have they said when they will announce the schedule?
It will be Saturday evening - im almost 99% sure of it.

I am guessing an 7/8pm Saturday game

Reactions: ACC1224

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That's a huge gap on D and Goalie tbh. "Slight" gap on D is an understatement. Their second pairing would be our top pairing

Tanev instead of Boosh with Rielly and it looks a lot better. However I don't think Calgary was interested in dealing with Treliving no matter what, even if he offered a 1st.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
There are certain things about this team that I like but I think the goaltending and coaching will be too difficult to overcome.

As always though it'll come down to the core. Especially Matthews. They're talented enough to win a series, but that'll require them to stop being so mentally fragile.

Reactions: banks and Maxmann

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I don’t think we’re going to see “playoff” Rielly this year. He’s been an absolute plug since coming back from injury, which would make me think he’s not 100%. He has no burst right now.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They swept the series this season 4-0. They had a 30% PP, 14 goals and .949 save percentage. Leafs had a 9% pp, 7 goals and .891% save percentage.

Yeah... 50/50... Real close...

I've stopped worrying (for better and for worse) about regular season matchup records after that 2021 Habs series after the Canada division. Everything gets reset the second the opening faceoff goes down

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Leaf fans are so mentally fragile. I get why the Bruins are favourites. Rightfully so. But this is almost a pick ‘em series. Leafs will win this. Remember it was only a year ago the Bruins were watching the Leafs still playing while they were on the golf course. Won’t be easy

Reactions: sxvnert

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oh well I guess you have to slay the beast eventually

Tough match up but either option sucked so let's get in there and do it

We definitely can, but our big guys have to play like superstars, our special teams need to hold up and we need our goaltending to get red hot

Reactions: Menzinger

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I want to see Pasternak on his ass shift after shift.
Only Tampa and maybe NYR relies more on one player to supply their offence.
I imagine Burtuzzi needs to take this job on.

Reactions: banks

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Worst part about playing Boston is how many times Sportsnet will play the tape from 2013 and drone on about our playoff record against them. They really love to find every angle to torment us at this time of year, and the Bruins will be a goldmine for them.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Up front, the Leafs do match up well against the Bruins. This is assuming we get the regular season version of the Leafs forwards and not the anemic playoff version of years past.

Major hurdles will be the defensive core, goaltending, Keefe's coaching, and the ability to withstand tight checking.

This is where the Bruins will be ahead plus home advantage for matchups.

It'll be a fun series from an entertainment perspective and likely will go 6-7 games.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Leaf fans are so mentally fragile. I get why the Bruins are favourites. Rightfully so. But this is almost a pick ‘em series. Leafs will win this. Remember it was only a year ago the Bruins were watching the Leafs still playing while they were on the golf course. Won’t be easy
What exactly have recent Leafs teams done in the playoffs to inspire their fans to believe in them?? So many painful, backbreaking losses in the postseason especially to the Bruins and in return they've only gotten to the 2nd round once in all that time.

On paper the Leafs should be just as good if not better than the Bruins and have a very good chance at beating them. In practice though Leafs fans have been burned far too many times by them that many if not most are in the 'won't believe until it actually happens' mindset. I'll start believing in the Leafs when Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares all show up bigtime and leads the team to victory which so far they haven't done very much of.

Especially for Matthews all the goals and big numbers he's putting up in the regular season is great for when he negotiates for his next big payday, but his legacy will be what he does in the playoffs and so far its been good, sometimes very good, but never really dominating like the best players in the NHL have been able to do in the postseason.

Reactions: Maxmann

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've stopped worrying (for better and for worse) about regular season matchup records after that 2021 Habs series after the Canada division. Everything gets reset the second the opening faceoff goes down
Remember when Chiarot and Edmudnson got away with absolute murder that series? Just crushing anyone who came near the net with no penalties called? My question is if Edmunson and Benoit will get those same non-calls. My guess is, they won't.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
There better be SIGNIFICANT changes if they follow the usual script against the Bruins this year too.

Firing Keefe isn’t enough. Shanny needs to go and this core needs to be dismantled. For starters, figure out a way to dump Tavares so we don’t have to completely waste next year too.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
We need to force top line vs top line. Anything else would be a mistake.

And McCabe and Benoit should be the pair.

Pasta cannot be allowed free roam to skate anywhere. Shut him down, get a few goals against him, and we have a chance. None of our other lines have a hope in hell of shutting him down.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Oh well I guess you have to slay the beast eventually

Tough match up but either option sucked so let's get in there and do it

We definitely can, but our big guys have to play like superstars, our special teams need to hold up and we need our goaltending to get red hot

We have been noticeably better than Boston since the new year began, and even more noticeably since the beginning of Feb. The standings don’t show it, and I don’t think Boston will be an easy out by any means, but we should fully expect to win this series

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
It is not the fans being mentally fragile that concerns me.
It is the weak mentality of the coach and players that shows up. Consider, our number 1 dman was minus 4 against Panthers, again.

Reactions: Rude Dog

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We have been noticeably better than Boston since the new year began, and even more noticeably since the beginning of Feb. The standings don’t show it, and I don’t think Boston will be an easy out by any means, but we should fully expect to win this series
We’ve lost 7 straight, and haven’t beaten them in 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad