Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Don't know how Bertuzzi still get so much hate. Loving this player for us. Always in front of the net and he plays hard in the d zone for loose pucks, blocks and clears

2 big blocks last night and his 6 hit helped grind Bruins down. He deserves more points the last 2 game

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Don't know how Bertuzzi still get so much hate. Loving this player for us. Always in front of the net and he plays hard in the d zone for loose pucks, blocks and clears

2 big blocks last night and his 6 hit helped grind Bruins down. He deserves more points the last 2 game

He makes some dumb decisions. He's really careless with the puck, especially in the defensive zone. He's also really careless with his sticks. If there's a puck by the opponents head, Bertuzzi can't resist the urge to whack it even when the risk-reward ratio isn't there. If he hits the puck, it's just going to likely go to the Bruins. If he misses the puck and hits the Bruin in the face, it could be a 4 minute penalty. He still swings at it no matter what.

Even in Game 2, remember that goal that was called off for Bertuzzi high sticking the puck? There was absolutely no reason to rush and hit that while it was over the bar. He just couldn't resist. It was him and Matthews both alone and Ullmark didn't even know where the puck was. Matthews, the player who grew up playing baseball, was waiting for the puck to get under the bar to bat it in and Bertuzzi just sees the puck and hits it with a high stick killing a likely goal by Matthews or even him if he had the sense to wait. We got very fortunate that Tavares scored on that same PP (our only PP goal this series) and that it didn't cost us the game or this series would have been over in 4.

He makes low IQ decisions like that often. He'll start engaging players when there's no need to and take a dumb penalty and honestly, I don't think he's been particularly good at getting to the front of the net. He seems to always get there too late and when he is there, he just starts banging at the puck with no purpose - he'll bang it into Swayman's pad 3 times instead of trying to go around or elevate it.

He's worth it for the right price but I don't know if he's a 5M+ player for all of his faults. If anything, I would much rather pursue Jake DeBrusk who is a UFA this offseason and requested a trade out of Boston a few seasons ago. He has the talent of Bertuzzi but a much higher hockey IQ.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
He makes some dumb decisions. He's really careless with the puck, especially in the defensive zone. He's also really careless with his sticks. If there's a puck by the opponents head, Bertuzzi can't resist the urge to whack it even when the risk-reward ratio isn't there. If he hits the puck, it's just going to likely go to the Bruins. If he misses the puck and hits the Bruin in the face, it could be a 4 minute penalty. He still swings at it no matter what.

Even in Game 3, remember that goal that was called off for Bertuzzi high sticking the puck? There was absolutely no reason to rush and hit that while it was over the bar. He just couldn't resist. It was him and Matthews both alone and Swayman didn't even know where the puck was. Matthews, the player who grew up playing baseball, was waiting for the puck to get under the bar to bat it in and Bertuzzi just sees the puck and hits it with a high stick killing a likely goal by Matthews or even him if he had the sense to wait. We got very fortunate that Tavares scored on that same PP (our only PP goal this series) and that it didn't cost us the game or this series would have been over in 4.

He makes low IQ decisions like that often. He'll start engaging players when there's no need to and honestly, I don't think he's been particularly good at getting to the front of the net. He seems to always get there too late and when he is there, he just starts banging at the puck with no purpose - he'll bang it into Swayman's pad 3 times instead of trying to go around or elevate it.

He's worth it for the right price but I don't know if he's a 5M+ player for all of his faults. If anything, I would much rather pursue Jake DeBrusk who is a UFA this offseason and requested a trade out of Boston a few seasons ago. He has the talent of Bertuzzi but a much higher hockey IQ.
Debrusk game impact is almost zero right now. He's just a Josh Anderson now. Straight line rush to try crash the net and then nothing else. Bertuzzi is noticeable all game. He's a type of player we need on our roster. Every shift the camera shows him in someone's face.

He plays 19-20 minutes a game now so his choppy style is more noticeable. When plays die it looks uglier for him.

Boston and swayman are elite in the crease, all he has is taps and hope it slides under the pad. At least he's there banging away. How many times have domi and marner hung him out to dry too? Instead of getting it on net they try for an extra pass. 2 on 1 Domi doesn't help open up swayman etc. Bertuzzi yes makes mistakes but his impact is positive overall and he's stopped with the dumb penalties too, even got a pp for us by no longer giving Marchand pleasure of retaliation.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Debrusk game impact is almost zero right now. Bertuzzi is noticeable all game. He's a type of player we need on our roster.

He plays 19-20 minutes a game now so his choppy style is more noticeable. When plays die it looks uglier for him.

Boston and swayman are elite in the crease, all he has is taps and hope it slides under the pad. At least he's there banging away. How many times have domi and marner hung him out to dry too? Instead of getting it on net they try for an extra pass. Bertuzzi yes makes mistakes but his impact is positive overall and he's stopped with the dumb penalties too, even got a pp for us by no longer giving Marchand pleasure of retaliation.

I don't mind re-signing him, but at the right price. I think you can get better players than him for 5M+. His hockey IQ is really lacking. I'm also not convinced he's stopped with the dumb penalties. When Marchand tried to push him into the bench, as soon as Bertuzzi got down he gave him a facewash. The referee got in there and broke it up immediately and stopped it from escalating but I'm not convinced Marchand wouldn't have baited him into a penalty there if the referee didn't immediately get between them. Bertuzzi seems to react first and think later.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I don't mind re-signing him, but at the right price. I think you can get better players than him for 5M+. His hockey IQ is really lacking. I'm also not convinced he's stopped with the dumb penalties. When Marchand tried to push him into the bench, as soon as Bertuzzi got down he gave him a facewash. The referee got in there and broke it up immediately and stopped it from escalating but I'm not convinced Marchand wouldn't have baited him into a penalty there if the referee didn't immediately get between them. Bertuzzi seems to react first and think later.
Bertuzzi wasn't doing anything too aggressiveness to get the extra penalty there. I wasn't even worry something would escalate there.

Bad offensive year and still finish a 20/20 player. He's worth 5 mil a year he has a 30/20 in him and then will bring unlimited energy into the playoffs. We don't have our best player but Boston is easy the 2nd best team against our guys. Our Ufa guys are a big reason why. They have been amazing depth these last 2 games even through the ugly moments. Boston only hope right now is we continue bad luck on finishing and scoring, but guys like bertuzzi have them over powered and tired.

Bertuzzi casually has the puck on his stick in critical time of the 3rd period to give domi a breakaway. His play style is ugly but it's myth his iq is low. He knows where to be.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Game 7, I bet no one was expecting that !!!

Bruins the first team to complete a double choke?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are you sure?
I'm not, I seem to remember this @Evilhomer dude confidently predicting Leafs in 7 when we were down 3-1. So far looking good my man, looking very good indeed.

I had a thought when I woke up this morning, curious to see what others think. Our next captain should be Max Domi. Now Matty would have to be OK with this but I think he might not care for all the crap that comes with being captain. Domi on the other hand, I do believe that he would love it, it would be a dream come true for him and he would be an absolutely fantastic captain.

Reactions: egd27

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
GMqFkEuWQAEdbXQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad