Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Cracknell for Oleksy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Marlies have Rosen, Sandin and Borgman on the left side. They do not need anymore left side defenders, hence why they traded Nielsen. They need right side defenders because LoVerde is struggling and Corrado and Subban should not be anything more than 3/4 RD themselves. So we had 3 3/4 RD's, and only one true top 4 RD, who is also injured. Now Oleksy has also not looked like a true top 4 RD this year himself, but I am sure the Marlies are counting on him turning it around with his old team, just like they hoped LoVerde would have done over the course of this year. Two chances is better than one I suppose?

The vet group has easily been the largest disappointment this year, and the largest reason why the Marlies are losing so many games. I am talking about a larger reason than goaltending. This move is a way to improve the top 4, and hopefully shake up that veteran room so that the rookies benefit while hopefully the other veterans (Jooris, Greening and LoVerde) start picking up their slacking play in the meantime.
I did edit my original post.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Rosen was not good until the playoffs last year. He never looked like a 7/8, but he definitely did not look much better than a 4/5/6 until then either. Same thing happened with Trevor Moore up front. He was a good depth winger who looked like the next guy to be thrown into a trade (and I was throwing him into a few trades), but then randomly turned it on in the playoffs and has yet to look back since. Now he looks like an option to replace Brown next year.

Rosen basically led the team with shots on goal last season and turned it up a notch in the playoffs, he was fine last year. Moore played well last season and was a PP guy, I dunno where you get him being a depth guy from, and had good playoffs, I have liked him and kept an eye on him since he was signed.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
A move to toughen up the D which is fine. He was fine as a Marlie a couple of years ago. They just didn't want to pay what Ducks organization was willing to. And now they are.

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets:Is no stranger to physical play, as he likes to punish opponents with hits. He also can drop the gloves. Can be a sound defender at lower levels.
Flaws:Is undersized for the NHL, so he must prove capable of playing his abrasive style at the highest level. Also lacks some finesse and high-end skill.
Career Potential:Journeyman defenseman.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Steve Oleksy Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | The Sports Forecaster

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A cleared Johnson works as perfect depth insurance other than his cap hit. Maybe St. Louis could retain 40-50%. What makes Johnson attractive is that he has actually started before at the NHL level.

How about this: Chad Johnson (50% retained, ~$900K) + Chris Thorburn (buried, $900K 1 way) for a late draft pick + disposable prospect to even out contract numbers (Kaskisuo/Subban/Klimchuk)? Or forget the draft pick and prospect, the same St. Louis return for Andreas Borgman (since he appears to be on the outs with this org).

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The goalie St Louis waived yesterday. Chad?

A cleared Johnson works as perfect depth insurance other than his cap hit. Maybe St. Louis could retain 40-50%. What makes Johnson attractive is that he has actually started before at the NHL level.

How about this: Chad Johnson (50% retained, ~$900K) + Chris Thorburn (buried, $900K 1 way) for a late draft pick + disposable prospect to even out contract numbers (Kaskisuo/Subban/Klimchuk)? Or forget the draft pick and prospect, the same St. Louis return for Andreas Borgman (since he appears to be on the outs with this org).

It would make some sense but I don't think it has to be that complicated. Just the Blues loaning Johnson to the Marlies like Vancouver is doing with Gagner would be enough.

In a couple weeks/months, maybe the Leafs can acquire his rights as a 3rd stringer if it works out.

With that said, the Leafs have 45 contracts, so they can acquire a couple bodies without sending anyone away.

Or maybe Johnson can be part of the Pietrangelo trade :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our Marlies are a real dog's breakfast of who's who this year..

That includes having Sam Gagner on loan from another team and sending Nielsen out for Klimchuk recently only to turn around and send Cracknall out for Steve Oleksy.

Our recent drafting results are reflective in all this chaos.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

That includes having Sam Gagner on loan from another team and sending Nielsen out for Klimchuk recently only to turn around and send Cracknall out for Steve Oleksy.

lol at drafting being bad.

2017 draft picks are just about at the level of contributing

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Our drafting is not reflective in all this. Since you said it does, you admitted that it doesnt. I agree that its not reflective of our drafting.
There have been much better results at the draft since "in Nonis we Trust" was thrown out of the organization.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our drafting is not reflective in all this. Since you said it does, you admitted that it doesnt. I agree that its not reflective of our drafting.
There have been much better results at the draft since "in Nonis we Trust" was thrown out of the organization.

I couldn't believe the support Nonis got around here. Hilarious stuff, almost as funny as the about face. Nonis 2.0 making Nonis 1.0 style moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->