Eklund Rumor: Leafs targeting Travis Sanheim.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeh I think he'll be a mid-70's guy with a couple seasons in the 80's. I highly doubt he'll be consistently in the 60's, though.
I honestly think it depends where he plays and the PP.

If they keep the top PP unit the same, and WN plays on the 2nd unit, then he will have a hard time being a 70 point guy just due to sheer opportunity. But that's where people need to look at things objectively(rare in these parts) and understand WHY certain things happen.

Like if he plays on the 3rd line with Kadri and gets 2nd PP time, his points will be lower than if he goes back to Matthews wing and replaces Kadri on the top PP unit.

Just common sense.

So until he is back and being used, he has likely a 20 point range where his points can be. Usage will likely determine where he falls, not his talent level....because he is certainly skilled enough.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't know the value Philly places in Sanheim, and I don't think Leafs really want this trade anyway, but Kapanen is not a bottom 6 RW.
Kapanen may not be a bottom 6 quality RW, but if he gets traded to Philly, it will be to replace Simmonds at 3RW, behind Voracek and Konecny.

Kapanen is not nearly as good as Konecny, nor is he good enough to get Sanheim without a decent add.

Frankly, I'm not interested in trading Sanheim for ANY of them, including Nylander, but I'd at least entertain that discussion.

I really doubt Hexy wants to deal Sanheim. He's got too much potential as a big, mobile top 4 Dman who can do PP and PK duty. What's the point of dealing him?

Dubas might also be trying to get Pickard and Gudas, and maybe Simmonds, all three of whom I'd trade for Kapanen in a package in a heartbeat. Leafs add Simmonds and sign Nylander, they are armed for bear.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Kapanen may not be a bottom 6 quality RW, but if he gets traded to Philly, it will be to replace Simmonds at 3RW, behind Voracek and Konecny.

Dubas might also be trying to get Pickard and Gudas, and maybe Simmonds, all three of whom I'd trade for Kapanen in a package in a heartbeat. Leafs add Simmonds and sign Nylander, they are armed for bear.
Similarly, Simmonds would be a 3RW on the Leafs, since he is not better than Nylander or Marner. He is also an upcoming UFA that will cost way more than a similar Kapanen, starting in the same year that we have to sign Matthews and Marner.

We just waived Pickard, and we have no need for an overpaid defenseman. We have RHD. We need a high-end RHD.

I don't see a likely trade between these teams.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
To be clear, ive always been a fan of Kapanen, but for me, Sanheim just should not be available unless we're clear winners of the trade. We just need defense way too much.
That's a totally fair reason.
We're the same when Nylander trades come up. Someone has to over pay.

Hope that thinking goes better for you than it does us.

Reactions: Devonator

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah Nylander will be good player. Not sure on the PPG especially if he is not playing with Matthews. But still, a 60-70 point guy will be great for the Leafs when that is not your #1, #2, or #3 option for offense.
I think he will be a lock for 75-85 points year after year. I think he does have the upside (I will admit I am higher on him than even mitch if he puts it all together, but that's just me). Btw how is gudas doing? Is he still serviceable? And if yes, is he available?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

The difference is, if you trade Nylander, you have Kapanen to step in. If we trade Sanheim, we have Hagg, AMac, Gudas and Folin.

I think he will be a lock for 75-85 points year after year. I think he does have the upside (I will admit I am higher on him than even mitch if he puts it all together, but that's just me). Btw how is gudas doing? Is he still serviceable? And if yes, is he available?
He and Sanheim have been the best pairing despite getting the least amount of ice time. I don't see him as available at all until next summer at the earliest given that he is the only RHD capable of playing in a top 4 role.(Folin is our only other RHD).

That gives Myers more seasoning this year in the AHL and less chance of all of AMac, Hagg and Folin being in teh lineup at the same time.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The difference is, if you trade Nylander, you have Kapanen to step in. If we trade Sanheim, we have Hagg, AMac, Gudas and Folin.

He and Sanheim have been the best pairing despite getting the least amount of ice time. I don't see him as available at all until next summer at the earliest given that he is the only RHD capable of playing in a top 4 role.(Folin is our only other RHD).

That gives Myers more seasoning this year in the AHL and less chance of all of AMac, Hagg and Folin being in teh lineup at the same time.
For argument's sake say he was available, what would be a fair trade? (assuming it didn't take an overpay considering he is available)

HC7

May 2, 2018
Leafs are loaded on the left side. These trades don't make sense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For argument's sake say he was available, what would be a fair trade? (assuming it didn't take an overpay considering he is available)
We know Hextall turned down 2 2nds a few years ago. I think his value is about the same....maybe a 2nd and a 3rd. Somewhere in that range given that he is not a rental and a RHD. Essentially one pick for each playoff run.

Reactions: ER89

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The difference is, if you trade Nylander, you have Kapanen to step in. If we trade Sanheim, we have Hagg, AMac, Gudas and Folin
Don't get fooled. Kapanen is a nice player. But he's not Willy. The Matthews line is struggling in varying ways and missing Nylander is a big part of that.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

I think Leaf fanbase has to ask themselves if the roles were reversed and the Flyers had Kapanen and the Leafs had Sanheim, would Leafs fans trade Sanheim to get Kapanen? I don't think so. The Flyers can't afford to trade Sanheim since he's a young defenseman who is getting better every year and is in the core age group for the Flyers. Gudas and McDonald will be gone soon enough so the Flyers are still going to need defensemen. I'm sure Nylander will be signed soon enough then Kapanen will go back down to the 3rd line.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't get fooled. Kapanen is a nice player. But he's not Willy. The Matthews line is struggling in varying ways and missing Nylander is a big part of that.
oh I know that. But can Kap be a 40-50 point guy at half the price? Yeah likely. That's all I was saying.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Sanheim and Kapanen are probably both going to get 20 pts this year and thats about where thier comparable values end.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think Leaf fanbase has to ask themselves if the roles were reversed and the Flyers had Kapanen and the Leafs had Sanheim, would Leafs fans trade Sanheim to get Kapanen? I don't think so. The Flyers can't afford to trade Sanheim since he's a young defenseman who is getting better every year and is in the core age group for the Flyers. Gudas and McDonald will be gone soon enough so the Flyers are still going to need defensemen. I'm sure Nylander will be signed soon enough then Kapanen will go back down to the 3rd line.
Well I don't know a whole lot about TS but I also haven't weighed in on the trade idea either.
As for our team, I'm very much in the patience camp. We just aren't ready to start making that kinda move. The bulk of our best players are in their early 20's and still learning.
I don't expect we'll do a whole lot this year in the trade market.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
oh I know that. But can Kap be a 40-50 point guy at half the price? Yeah likely. That's all I was saying.
Ya he can be but Willy brings things that don't show up on the score sheet that Kappy simply can't do. One big example is, zone entries. Willy can carry the puck in.
Willy attracts attention. Right now anyway, KK doesn't command that kinda respect.
So much of our fan base forgets we were dead last only 3 seasons ago. This would be the first year you could say our window is open.

Reactions: Tripod

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So Kapanen is at least 2/3 of a Provorov then? Because Sanheim is a big maybe while Nylander is a two time 60 point winger.

Yeah, says you, alleged 'Flyers, Hawks and Leafs fan'.

Sanheim is a maybe I guess but he’s coming on very very strong. He’s been our best player. That’s prob why his ice time went up even though Hakstol said it wouldn’t.

If Kaps is so good why not just trade Nylander bc you already have a fill in. He may be cheaper too until it’s his turn to hold out.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Nylander is more developed than Sanheim, but Leafs fans dismissing a "Nylander for Samheim" as the main course of any deal are not thinking big picture or long-term. Nylander already scored 60, and could absolutely blossom into a 75 point player in the right environment - he has that level of offensive talent. However, Sanheim is literally just getting started and looks fantastic. He's big, can skate well, and was projected by scouts to end up a more offensive Ryan McDonagh. If/when Sanheim develops into that type of player in the next couple of seasons, the Leafs will have a remarkable 1-2 punch with him and Rielly.

Kapanen has shown that, playing with high-end talent, he could probably replace most of Nylander's offensive production. The Leafs already are loaded with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, Kadri, etc. If they could find a Robin to Rielly's Batman, they will be even more dangerous long-term.

Then there's the cap flexibility that such a deal offers the Leafs. With each passing game, Marner looks like he's going to hit the jackpot... same with Matthews. If the Leafs are going to commit 30 mil combined to Tavares, Matthews, Marner, they need to diversify and add a cheaper defenseman with star potential and the ability to outplay his contract for a little.

Reactions: Dustin

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Nylander is more developed than Sanheim, but Leafs fans dismissing a "Nylander for Samheim" as the main course of any deal are not thinking big picture or long-term. Nylander already scored 60, and could absolutely blossom into a 75 point player in the right environment - he has that level of offensive talent. However, Sanheim is literally just getting started and looks fantastic. He's big, can skate well, and was projected by scouts to end up a more offensive Ryan McDonagh. If/when Sanheim develops into that type of player in the next couple of seasons, the Leafs will have a remarkable 1-2 punch with him and Rielly.

Kapanen has shown that, playing with high-end talent, he could probably replace most of Nylander's offensive production. The Leafs already are loaded with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, Kadri, etc. If they could find a Robin to Rielly's Batman, they will be even more dangerous long-term.

Then there's the cap flexibility that such a deal offers the Leafs. With each passing game, Marner looks like he's going to hit the jackpot... same with Matthews. If the Leafs are going to commit 30 mil combined to Tavares, Matthews, Marner, they need to diversify and add a cheaper defenseman with star potential and the ability to outplay his contract for a little.

Yup. I don't hate it. That being said I'm not sure Philly is ready to move on from Sanheim yet and as for Toronto I would probably be willing to add to Nylander to get a more established, higher end Dman.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yup. I don't hate it. That being said I'm not sure Philly is ready to move on from Sanheim yet and as for Toronto I would probably be willing to add to Nylander to get a more established, higher end Dman.

Philly might not be. Hextall is very cautious in trades, and has yet to make a legit blockbuster... the closest was the Schenn trade. But, if Hextall thinks Nylander could be Giroux 2.0, maybe he considers.

As for the Leafs getting a more established D... while that sounds great and all, that likely comes with a big price tag... which is exactly the main reason Nylander is unsigned. If the Leafs had 7 mil to throw around, Nylander would have played tonight.

If I'm the Leafs, I'm 100% more interested in Sanheim over a more established Faulk, for example.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Philly might not be. Hextall is very cautious in trades, and has yet to make a legit blockbuster... the closest was the Schenn trade. But, if Hextall thinks Nylander could be Giroux 2.0, maybe he considers.

As for the Leafs getting a more established D... while that sounds great and all, that likely comes with a big price tag... which is exactly the main reason Nylander is unsigned. If the Leafs had 7 mil to throw around, Nylander would have played tonight.

If I'm the Leafs, I'm 100% more interested in Sanheim over a more established Faulk, for example.

I don't think that's necessarily true in regards to salary. Parayko is making $5.5 and is someone I would prefer over Sanheim. Manson is another.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
This trade makes no sense for the Flyers from a need perspective or value perspective.

Sanheim is looking awesome, which is not easy considering our team is coached by an idiot. Our best defenseman so far this year. Tons of potential.

Eklund is BS.

Hextall runs a tight ship. Almost no credible rumors get out on his end.

/thread.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't think that's necessarily true in regards to salary. Parayko is making $5.5 and is someone I would prefer over Sanheim. Manson is another.

Well, yeah. Parayko is more established, and a safer trade today. But I severely doubt he's available... perhaps even less available than Sanheim. Also, I'm not so sure that Sanheim won't be as good or better than Parayko in 2 years. But I see your point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad