Eklund Rumor: Leafs targeting Travis Sanheim.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
kapanen for Sandheim? Is that a joke? I take Sandheim and not think twice. I probably don't do it even if the leafs add a 1st + Sandheim has been developed the right way. Just like Pulock has been. You give them time and let them grow at their own pace.

I think he's gonna be a solid defender for a long time. Of all the highly regarded Defenders Philly has waited on not counting Provorov because he was ready from day one, but Gostisbehere, Hagg, Girard, and Sandheim, I think Sandheim is the most complete. If Toronto could get Sandheim for Nylander they should. But I doubt Philly would do it. Hell I doubt Philly would move Sandheim for Trouba. I know I wouldnt. Not without a long term contract at least

Last edited:

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
It's not under rating Kapanen by saying he doesn't get you Sanheim. It's stating the obvious.

uh Idk it seemed particularly dismissive, I think a lot of HF doesn’t buy that Kapanen is actually good. They’re wrong, he is, it’s just that Sanheim might be a legitimate all-star.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Flyers and Leafs are both forward heavy teams that need more talent on D. The Flyers have the talent in system, whereas it’s my understanding that the Leafs would have to acquire talent via trade.

The teams seem to make lousy trade partners.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
It's not under rating Kapanen by saying he doesn't get you Sanheim. It's stating the obvious.
Y'all got any other good D? You fellas are seemingly stacked. Kapanen is a top 6 player and can be a strong 2-way 55-60 pt player. Have anything that would match that value perhaps?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Flyers and Leafs are both forward heavy teams that need more talent on D. The Flyers have the talent in system, whereas it’s my understanding that the Leafs would have to acquire talent via trade.

The teams seem to make lousy trade partners.
The Leafs have D talent in the system (Sandin and Liljegrin are both great prospects), they just are much further away from the big show and fewer than the Flyers young D.

Reactions: Tripod

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Y'all got any other good D? You fellas are seemingly stacked. Kapanen is a top 6 player and can be a strong 2-way 55-60 pt player. Have anything that would match that value perhaps?

Our top 6 is set and our top 9 should be when Frost arrives and we figure out what to do with Simmonds. Add to that OBrien,Farabee,Ratcliff, etc in the pipeline. Flyers have no need to move a defender for a forward unless it’s for a top tier sniper.

Teams biggest needs are goaltending and coaching (system) moving forward.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
How about we see more than 9 games before saying he is 60 point player?

Reactions: dukeofjive

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Why does that make Kapanen expendable? Marleau isn’t going to play forever. And Nylander can play centre. There’s a lot of flexibility. Play Nylander at 3LW on Kadri’s line, demote Johnsson/Leivo to 4LW. When Marleau leaves you have Nylander move up to 1LW like we had always planned.
Maybe not for the first few games but Nylander will be with Matthews in short order. After you have JT Matthews marner Nylander kadri rielly and andersen taken care of all the other players currently on the team are expendable.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I want Kapanen, but not for Sanheim. That'd be a massive mistake.

I said it years ago and it's happening right now -- dude max's out as a 3rd line winger/2nd line winger in a pinch. From the way TO fans have described him, sounds a lot like his dad in tendencies (which is AWESOME -- every great team needs one), but he isn't a star.

Sanheim can genuinely be top pairing still -- he's been our best D this year. If Hakstol wasn't stupid, Sanheim would be producing more on the sheet (after all, Provy and Ghost aren't firing on all cylinders at the moment).

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Sanheim is good. He is an example of someone you would want to acquire who can help now and for years to come.

Reactions: dukeofjive

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
The Leafs have D talent in the system (Sandin and Liljegrin are both great prospects), they just are much further away from the big show and fewer than the Flyers young D.

Yeah, the issue with the Flyers is that Hextall/Hakstol can’t handle filling the NHL roster with nontraditional young defensemen, so the solution is to let them over cook in the AHL.

Keeping Myers in the AHL does little to develop his game to a pro system. Gordon doesn’t really implement a pro system and seems comfortable with letting his team play pond hockey.

It’s extremely frustrating because the Flyers have loads of talent, but leadership seems content to roster and overplay lesser players. It’s obvious that Gudas, Sanheim, Gostisbehere are some of best D, yet Hakstol consistently gives top 4 minutes to MacDonald, Hagg, et al. I’d rather see the coach, and maybe GM, fired before exploring a trade with any team, especially the Leafs.

Hakstol is a total dumbass who will never coach in the NHL again

Reactions: Amorgus

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
In no world does Sanheim get Nylander but I can't see what else Philly would want (that would be available) so I highly doubt there is anything to this (source aside)

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
In no world does Sanheim get Nylander but I can't see what else Philly would want (that would be available) so I highly doubt there is anything to this (source aside)

Who knows... Wait a full season and Sanheim could leapfrog Nylander. When young defensemen develop more of a track record by simply playing more in the NHL, their value skyrockets.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Who knows... Wait a full season and Sanheim could leapfrog Nylander. When young defensemen develop more of a track record by simply playing more in the NHL, their value skyrockets.
Agreed. It's possible but we're talking about a trade today, in which case it's not even close.

Reactions: wankstifier

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Agreed. It's possible but we're talking about a trade today, in which case it's not even close.

True. I’ll be freaking out if there’s a legit trade rumor because the actual trade value of the young players is relatively low. Feel like the Flyers would one up their infamous JvR trade

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Sanheim for Kapanen? What the f***? First of all, this is the opposite of addressing the flyers needs. We have a plethora of forward prospects. Second of all, in none of the infinite universes is Kapanen worth Sanheim.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
True. I’ll be freaking out if there’s a legit trade rumor because the actual trade value of the young players is relatively low. Feel like the Flyers would one up their infamous JvR trade
Yeh their is always risk but I feel pretty confident that Nylander will end up being around a PPG 1st line player, so even if Sanheim hits his ceiling it won't be as bad.
Schenn was....not good at hockey.
But technically the Leafs just borrowed JVR so we could probably call that a wash at worst, no? :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers have problems on defense this year outside of Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim so let's trade the latter.

Right.
Yeah...those 3 are the only puck moving dmen on the roster.

Hagg, Gudas, AMac, Folin, Morin(hurt)

In no way are the Flyers trading Sanheim for Kap.

Eklund once again steps in his own verbal diarrhea.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeh their is always risk but I feel pretty confident that Nylander will end up being around a PPG 1st line player, so even if Sanheim hits his ceiling it won't be as bad.
Schenn was....not good at hockey.
But technically the Leafs just borrowed JVR so we could probably call that a wash at worst, no? :laugh:
Yeah Nylander will be good player. Not sure on the PPG especially if he is not playing with Matthews. But still, a 60-70 point guy will be great for the Leafs when that is not your #1, #2, or #3 option for offense.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah Nylander will be good player. Not sure on the PPG especially if he is not playing with Matthews. But still, a 60-70 point guy will be great for the Leafs when that is not your #1, #2, or #3 option for offense.
Yeh I think he'll be a mid-70's guy with a couple seasons in the 80's. I highly doubt he'll be consistently in the 60's, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->