Eklund Rumor: Leafs targeting Travis Sanheim.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Kapanen as the main piece for Sanheim?

GTFOH.

You're almost definitely drastically underrating Kapanen, because everyone does. He's a legit player. BUT I still wouldn't fault you, just because, especially with young players, you go for peak, and I really think Sanheim has legitimate star-level peak potential, whereas Kapanen probably tops out as a solid top-line winger in the "there are 62 top-line wingers" sense of the phrase.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Or signing Nylander makes Kapanen expendable which would be the better move for Toronto I think.
I would disagree... moving nylander opens space to tighten up the defense/get depth forwards towards the deadline.

Nylander is better than Kapanen, but Nylander is likely going to cost 6-8 million, I imagine even after this year Kapanen wont make much more than 3(unless he absolutely goes off) .

Reactions: dukeofjive

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I understood your post to insinuate Kapanen was not a top 6RW. It reads as you wouldn't feel the value is there unless there was a + on top of Kapanen at the value of a Brown, ie Sanhiem for Kapanen + Brown.

Either way, Kapanen is a good young player, but IMO, not what the Flyers need. Not to mention, why trade your young D-men you've been grooming for years when they've barely scratched the surface of regular NHL ice-time.

Fair enough, i can see where the confusion might be.

To be clear, ive always been a fan of Kapanen, but for me, Sanheim just should not be available unless we're clear winners of the trade. We just need defense way too much.

What we need is to fire the coach who was supposed to be good at developing young players but, as it turns out, is terrible at it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I can’t imagine a team giving any player 6 mins of extra ice time just to show case him. The point is to win the game, not make another GMs job easier.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Hasn't Eklund been right about Philly some of the time? Like he might have had or still has legit sources there? While I think he might have the piece from Toronto as wrong, he might be right about Sanheim. Now excuse me while I go have a shower to make myself clean again after giving Eklund credit.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I can’t imagine a team giving any player 6 mins of extra ice time just to show case him. The point is to win the game, not make another GMs job easier.
Sanheim was playing fantastic all game and help set up the only goal. Ghost also took a puck off the knee and missed a few shifts so Sanheim FINALLY got the icetime that fans have wanted for awhile.

Let's be clear here, Sanheim is 100% needed by the Flyers. He and Gudas have been a great pairing yet Hak has said he doesn't want their minutes to increase. But Sanheim is trying to force that issue by being dominant. He is a thoroughbred, he just needs to be let loose. Under a different coach, it would have already of happened by now. He has 5 points in 9 games and should have 6 as he was not given an assist that he should have.

Now Kapanen. A year ago I wanted to try and grab Kapanen while he was buried by depth. The Simmonds for Kap+1st was bandied around. Grabbing him was for the 3rd RW spot....behind Konecny and Voracek. Today, nothing has changed except that Kap's value is much higher but the Flyers still have TK and Jake to play in the top 6. So Kap is not a "need". Especially with Simmonds still on the roster for the #3RW spot this year, and with a crap ton of kids on the verge.

Both teams will keep their cheap guys that they need and be quite happy.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hasn't Eklund been right about Philly some of the time? Like he might have had or still has legit sources there? While I think he might have the piece from Toronto as wrong, he might be right about Sanheim. Now excuse me while I go have a shower to make myself clean again after giving Eklund credit.

Eklund got the Carter and Richards trades - however long ago they happened. He hasnt been close to anything since then. We've been reportedly trying sign Buffyglien every off-season since then though, apparently. You see how thats turned out. Hextall runs a much tighter ship than Holmgren did. If anything is leaking, it's likely from the other end, which means even if Eklund is reporting it, its definitely second hand at best.

Flyers would have no reason to move Sanheim. Their biggest need is defense. As awful as Elliott has been, his GA is (or was, the stat was a few days ago) still well above his expected GA when adjusted for defensive play. Thats how bad our defense has been.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs have no interest in LD. Already have two top 4 LD signed long term and possibly Gardiner if he is retained, plus literally 3 NHL ready LD for the bottom pair and their top D prospect is a LD (Sandin).

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
In order for the Flyers if best Dmen this year:

Sanheim, Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, Hagg, Folin, Amac

Gudas and Ghost are kind of a wash for 3rd best, but Hagg/Folin/Amac have been awful.

No way in hell are the flyers trading Sanheim. We’re not going to get the return we want even if he was available.

Reactions: Curufinwe

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Why would a team with a bunch of good forward prospects but is very thin on the back end professionally trade for another for forward.
Sanheim has way more value to the team than anyone the Leafs would want to trade for him

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Fair enough, i can see where the confusion might be.

To be clear, ive always been a fan of Kapanen, but for me, Sanheim just should not be available unless we're clear winners of the trade. We just need defense way too much.

What we need is to fire the coach who was supposed to be good at developing young players but, as it turns out, is terrible at it.
This is the correct response. Kappy is good but not sanheim good. Having said that, kappy might get there. Unlikely though.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leafs have no interest in LD. Already have two top 4 LD signed long term and possibly Gardiner if he is retained, plus literally 3 NHL ready LD for the bottom pair and their top D prospect is a LD (Sandin).

This is spoken as though you are priveledged to what the Leafs' management are really planning to do.

If you get an opportunity to acquire a good player or add to your depth then you do the care about what hand they shoot.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
It's Myers the Leafs should go after - but then, I don't see the Flyers moving him either.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sanheim was playing fantastic all game and help set up the only goal. Ghost also took a puck off the knee and missed a few shifts so Sanheim FINALLY got the icetime that fans have wanted for awhile.

Let's be clear here, Sanheim is 100% needed by the Flyers. He and Gudas have been a great pairing yet Hak has said he doesn't want their minutes to increase. But Sanheim is trying to force that issue by being dominant. He is a thoroughbred, he just needs to be let loose. Under a different coach, it would have already of happened by now. He has 5 points in 9 games and should have 6 as he was not given an assist that he should have.

Now Kapanen. A year ago I wanted to try and grab Kapanen while he was buried by depth. The Simmonds for Kap+1st was bandied around. Grabbing him was for the 3rd RW spot....behind Konecny and Voracek. Today, nothing has changed except that Kap's value is much higher but the Flyers still have TK and Jake to play in the top 6. So Kap is not a "need". Especially with Simmonds still on the roster for the #3RW spot this year, and with a crap ton of kids on the verge.

Both teams will keep their cheap guys that they need and be quite happy.

Oh totally agreed. I was making the point that Sanheim's ice time was because he earned it. Not because he was being show cased. Teams are trying to win.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
This seems very poorly thoughtout, even for Eklund.

What do the Flyers have a lot of? Good wingers. What do the Flyers not have a lot of? Good defenseman.

So, let's trade Sanheim, who is Hexy's 3rd best defenseman and his 1st pick ever as a GM, for a winger?

Sanheim is towards the bottom of the list of players I could see Hextall trading, even if they decided to clean house and start from scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->