LeBrun: Leafs targeting Foligno, possible 3 way trade with Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lebrun has reported that the belief is that the Leafs #1 trade target is Jackets captain Nick Foligno, one of the ways that the Leafs could attempt to make the money work would be a 3 way deal with the SJ sharks where both Columbia and SJ and retain a portion of Foligno salary in the same way Toronto helped facilitate the Robin Lehner trade at last years deadline.

Sj has already been approached with this idea as they have told teams they are willing to help facilitate trades.

So what do you realistically think that looks like?

To Toronto Nick Foligno with both Columbus and SJ Retaining what goes to Columbus and SJ?

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Sharks in a position to pay cap and real money to add a pick. Hopefully it’s worth it. I don’t see them getting much but you never know with some of these contenders up against the cap

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I like Foligno a lot, so seeing a team that I can't stand acquire him would cause some inner conflict for me. Great fit too. Similar to when they signed Simmonds. Hate the feeling of seeing a team that I always root against land players that I really like who are great acquisitions.

Hopefully another team swoops in and saves me from having to (kind of) root for the Leafs.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Sharks in a position to pay cap and real money to add a pick. Hopefully it’s worth it. I don’t see them getting much but you never know with some of these contenders up against the cap

As a reference, the Leafs got a 5th rounder to retain 1.1M on Robin Lehner as a 3rd party.

Reactions: banks

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
As a reference, the Leafs got a 5th rounder to retain 1.1M on Robin Lehner as a 3rd party.
Yeah I’m not expecting much but that’s a good reference point. I feel like there are more teams up against the cap this season. All depends on if there are other teams offering what SJ is offering, which I’m sure there are

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Foligno makes some sense, would add some grit and leadership
Basically gives us a guy we can use similar to Hyman. When the Leafs used to run JT/Marner and Matthews/Nylander, the difference between the two lines was usually which one got Hyman on the LW. First on the forecheck, wins puck battles, makes the simple play, and lays it off to a more skilled guy, and then drives the net. With those 4 guys, you just need a hard worker who doesn't need the puck to optimize them. Work hard, simple play, and drive the net.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I'd personally rather add a guy w skill and a bit of Grit like Schwartz, but I can see the appeal of Foligno stylistically. Hoping for a reasonable cost if there is truth to it .

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

A second reference ...

When Brassard was traded to Pittsburgh from Ottawa they involved Vegas.

Vegas traded a minor league player, retained ~$1.2m on Brassard and received Ryan Reaves and Pittsburgh’s 4th rounder in return.

Reactions: banks

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Toronto does a 3 team deal I feel like Chicago would be the team retaining salary given Toronto helped them and Vegas out with Lehner at last year's deadline.

Also I'd love Foligno, he's exactly what the Leafs need on the wing in the top 6, or even potentially as a 3C. I'd prefer Jenner but with the injury that won't happen now

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Lebrun has reported that the belief is that the Leafs #1 trade target is Jackets captain Nick Foligno, one of the ways that the Leafs could attempt to make the money work would be a 3 way deal with the SJ sharks where both Columbia and SJ and retain a portion of Foligno salary in the same way Toronto helped facilitate the Robin Lehner trade at last years deadline.

Sj has already been approached with this idea as they have told teams they are willing to help facilitate trades.

So what do you realistically think that looks like?

To Toronto Nick Foligno with both Columbus and SJ Retaining what goes to Columbus and SJ?

I'm not sure if this deal is the best solution.
Weak points will remain.
It is possible to carry out exchanges with other teams (taking into account the salary ceiling).
Kerfoot $ 3,500,000 ( Andersen? $ 5,000,000)

Palmieri is now unavailable.

Available (@ 50% Ret):
Bernier, Foligno, Hall, Dzingel, Hoffman, Schwartz, Ryan, Glendening, Savard, Stecher, Del Zotto...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->