Leafs targeting 56 starts for Andersen UPDATE: Actually targeting 60

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That's actually a perfect number.

So Sparks will play 8 and Freddy will play 7 of the last 15.

@EDM - Sparks
vs TBL - Freddy
vs CHI - Freddy
vs PHI - Freddy
@OTT - Sparks
@NSH - Freddy
@BUF - Sparks
vs NYR - Freddy
vs FLA - Freddy
@PHI - Sparks
@OTT - Sparks
@NYI - Freddy
vs CAR - Sparks
vs TBL - Sparks
@ MTL - Sparks

I seriously doubt that Sparks starts 8 games after starting a mere 13 to date.

If the team is set to this 56 start limit then I'd guess that Andersen would go on a 2 week day-to-day injury run where Sparks and Hutchinson split the schedule.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I seriously doubt that Sparks starts 8 games after starting a mere 13 to date.

If the team is set to this 56 start limit then I'd guess that Andersen would go on a 2 week day-to-day injury run where Sparks and Hutchinson split the schedule.
They don't need to do that, there is no roster limit after the trade deadline, just a limit on how many players you can call up (4 I believe). Unless the call up is for emergency purposes.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Assuming the 56 games is correct and Babcock didn't misspeak, it's possible that the Leafs see more value to larger rest periods right before the playoffs than than smaller rest periods spread throughout the season.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He's at 49 now, which means he'll only play 7 more games if they stick to their target.

Do you think they should play him as much as possible to try and get home ice?
Would rather have him rested for round one because the Bruins have been splitting the net between Halak and Rask all season long. They gave a larger workload to Halak early on (because Rask shat the bed) and now are leaning more towards Rask down the stretch.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That's actually a perfect number.

So Sparks will play 8 and Freddy will play 7 of the last 15.

@EDM - Sparks
vs TBL - Freddy
vs CHI - Freddy
vs PHI - Freddy
@OTT - Sparks
@NSH - Freddy
@BUF - Sparks
vs NYR - Freddy
vs FLA - Freddy
@PHI - Sparks
@OTT - Sparks
@NYI - Freddy
vs CAR - Sparks
vs TBL - Sparks
@ MTL - Sparks

Its more likely Andersen plays every 4-5 days.

Sat, Mar 9 @ Edmonton
Mon, Mar 11 vs Tampa - Andersen
Wed, Mar 13 vs Chicago
Fri, Mar 15 vs Philadelphia - Andersen
Sat, Mar 16 @ ottawa
Tue, Mar 19 @ Nashville - Andersen
Wed, Mar 20 @ Buffalo
Sat, Mar 23 vs New York - Andersen
Mon, Mar 25 vs Florida
Wed, Mar 27 @ Philadelphia - Andersen
Sat, Mar 30 @ ottawa
Mon, Apr 1 @ New York - Andersen
Tue, Apr 2 vs Carolina
Thu, Apr 4 vs Tampa Bay - Andersen
Sat, Apr 6 @ montreal

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Assuming the 56 games is correct and Babcock didn't misspeak, it's possible that the Leafs see more value to larger rest periods right before the playoffs than than smaller rest periods spread throughout the season.

That’d be a weird thought process. What if the Leafs were a playoff bubble team and fighting tooth and nail for a spot?

For example, there’s no reason why Andersen would have started last night and he’d have had a nice five day break.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This would mean he and Sparks would have to split start for the last 15 games, with Sparks getting 8 and Andersen 7. No way that is happening.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena

I'd agree with this.

I also think this is a critical playoff for him. Another sub 0.900 overall performance will raise questions and doubts.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
The sportsnet crew mentioning Andy is only behind Fleury in wins. Yeah no shit Sherlock maybe if Andy played as many games as Fleury (Andy = 49; Fleury = 57) he would have that title.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Giving up points to the Sens again is going to suck. Of course the Leafs would do that even if Andersen started

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I would do:

@EDM - Sparks
vs TBL - Freddy
vs CHI - Freddy
vs PHI - Freddy
@OTT - Sparks
@NSH - Freddy
@BUF - Sparks
vs NYR - Sparks
vs FLA - Freddy
@PHI - Sparks
@OTT - Sparks
@NYI - Freddy
vs CAR - Sparks
vs TBL - Freddy
@ MTL - Sparks

Freddy plays seven, all of the teams which we could possibly see in the playoffs if we are successful (Tampa x 2, Nashville, Isles). He also gets 4 of the next 6, which could set us up to be at least competitive for home ice. Then Sparks gets 4 of the next 5 giving Freddy a nice long break with Florida at home in the middle of the break. Then they go 1 for 1 in the final stretch. If we have a chance at that point for home ice, you have the chance to give Freddy that Carolina start or even the Montreal start if it comes down to the wire.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I find it hard to believe Babcock just pulled the number 56 out of his head. This is Dubas orders. And it's good.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If the plan all along was to play Andersen 56 games this season, then I wish the team did a better job of spacing out his workload than having him pencilled in to to sit 8 of the last 15 starts at the most crucial time of the season. That takes into account the couple of games he missed due to injury.

Poor planning out by Babcock and management if that's the case.

Unless the plan was always to rest him closer to the playoffs. In which case it was good planning.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Too many starts for Andersen is the underrated consequence of providing a backup the coach doesn't want to use. Babcock and Dubas have been having a season long staring match over this backup and Holl and Marincin. Clearly they don't see eye-to-eye on the roster. Something may give on this relationship between Dubas and Babcock sooner than we may think. Dubas needs fuel to sell swallowing the remaining $25M on Babcock's contract. A 3rd consecutive 1st round exit regardless of the circumstances might do it. Otherwise it's only money to MLSE.

The wrong is on both sides as far as I'm concerned. These two are going to differ on their assessments of talent. Babcock should probably just stomach pencilling in the players he's not crazy about playing and allow them the rope to sink or swim. And Dubas shouldn't throw away roster spots on players he knows the coach doesn't want to play (and have little to no market value). Clearly they're both stubborn.

Lou Lamiorello is gone. Mark Hunter is gone. Dubas hired Sheldon Keefe (twice, once in the Soo and once as an interim GM of the Leafs). Firing Babcock will only cost money, not cap space, not players, not draft picks.

Who says Babcock doesn’t want to play sparks?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I agree with the people saying Freddy should get some rest. Tampa and Boston has rotated their goaltenders all year. Rask and Vasilevsky will both be well rested come playoff time. Can't afford to have the only tired guy in net.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It feels like we've already conceded home ice to Boston here, so what the hell rest of Freddy for what we can only hope is a dominant playoff performance that propels us to the conference finals at the minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad