GDT: Leafs State of the Union + Locker Clean Out Day (4/27/18)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
A 'like' seems insufficient here. Very well said.

Thanks!

I was busy and missed most of today, trying to catchup now. I did find the Marner-Matthews comments interesting.

I agree Matthews and Marner should play together more to at least see how their chemistry grows. Wasnt the right time to try it this year, but next year would be a good time to try it.

Matthews-Marner with Hyman/Marleau as the 3rd winger ans play Matthews against the top competition.

Reactions: The Apologist

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Id like to at least try

xxx - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
xxx - Kadri - xxx

Fill in the wingers with who we have and any potential UFA signings. Once more, it wasnt the right time to try Matthews with Marner. I think they both understand that and thats why they said they would like to try to play with each other in the future.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
4th C is done IMO

Aalt/Gauth will be good enough.

even then we have a "back up 4thc" with one in the ahl and a top 9 C "fill in" with willi

so to say "depth" i'd say we are fine

we just need to pick up 1 top 9 c starter or convert willi

maybe offer gards to edm and see what rhsD they have.

playoff support upgrade???? non issue i believe age/time is all that is needed here.
Still think we need a playoff support upgrade. A D and a forward (or 2) who do a better job of being strong on the puck to support the core. To many times Boston was able to get and keep the forecheck and attack pressure. At times our stars were one and done. Shutting down the cycle and keeping the pressure in the zone is paramount in the playoffs. You have to leave the perimeter at times.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Lou Lamoriello speaks with members of the media as the Maple Leafs 2017-2018 season comes to a close.

Mike Babcock meets with members of the media as he reflects on the Maple Leafs 2017-2018 season.

Reactions: Liminality

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Boston's team defense is what made them a favorite to begin with, you can't look at it now and say they don't have competent defenders.
but you can't say our defense was incompetent due to letting in more goals. Andersen was letting in brutal softies every game

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not that this means anything, but did you see how fast Matty said yes to playing with Marner lol

low talk low talk low talk YES I DO lol

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
but you can't say our defense was incompetent due to letting in more goals. Andersen was letting in brutal softies every game
Time for you to pack up the negativity and move on. You mostly have good posts and opinions but you've been on a tangent here lately. Huge agenda on Andersen.

Going into this series everybody know Boston was the better team. They have higher caliber star players and better D. The fact we took them to game 7's final period was quite a feat, especially after getting hammered in the first 2 games.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Only real newsworthy things are two pieces: Zero talks between bozak's camp and the leafs, and matthews doesn't need surgery.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I might as well say it now, in an irrelevant thread. I have more faith in Zaitsev than most and think many are selling him short. Still not convinced on the term on his deal, but I think over the course of the series, he was our 2nd best D-man. Really thought he should have anchored the PK instead of Polak-Hainsey, who looked like a tire-fire back there. I'm optimistic that this season for him.....was like Rielly's 2nd? season under Babcock- taken off the PP, put on the PK....didn't really take a step forward.

Gardiner on the other hand, is a talented player who's high's and lows are so extreme that it's difficult to gauge.

Reactions: cookie

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Time for you to pack up the negativity and move on. You mostly have good posts and opinions but you've been on a tangent here lately. Huge agenda on Andersen.

Going into this series everybody know Boston was the better team. They have higher caliber star players and better D. The fact we took them to game 7's final period was quite a feat, especially after getting hammered in the first 2 games.
it's not an agenda. the guy isn't very good and he blew it in the playoffs. I would much rather be wrong and in the second round, but I wasn't.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

you are both right.
andy was brutal.
the defense was not good

Boston doesn't, though Mugz have higher caliber star players -they have them in better positions than we did (and remember we didn't lose game seven because of them. )

I feel (and i've been consistent)
a lot of the goals Andy should have stopped - shouldn't have been an attempt in the first place. I will totally shame shame shame Andy for that, but the defense (as a whole) gets a big shame shame shame as well.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
you should look at some of the goals Toronto scored again

Our offense is elite and has nothing to do with our defense nor Boston's offense. Also, Boston shut down virtually all our forwards except Marner and Marleau. It seems pretty obvious to me they know a thing or two about defending.

I mean, EVERYONE in the hockey world has been talking about how poor our defense is. Its not some hot take of mine to say that its poor. Everyone knows it.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If we get defenders who are good enough defensively they can help Andy look way better and give him an easier time. We know he's shown he's capable of very high end goaltending throughout the season. He just needs more help which was painfully obvious in this series. He was bad in some games but his defense didn't help him either at other times.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
it's not an agenda. the guy isn't very good and he blew it in the playoffs. I would much rather be wrong and in the second round, but I wasn't.
Andersen is inconsistent which is he's biggest issue. His high points are great and his low points are not great. He has to figure that out, but I feel like as we get a better group in front of him he will look better and better. Like Daisy said, there were some goals he probably should have stopped, but that could likely be said for every goalie on every team eventually. Those good shot locations need to be minimized to help him out.

None if this is reason to jump into every thread and find a way to blame just him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013

It was obvious as soon as he came back from his first injury that he wasn't the same guy.........
Anyone who watched him should have known that..

The question is what does he need to get back to normal.....is it time and rehab, surgery?
Anyone know?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
As much as I'd like to move on from him, it may be difficult to get both a #3 and #4 C. Not sold on Goat, and who knows if Aaltonen will cut it
Its a pretty terrible UFA crop if we're looking to keep costs under 6M/yr. My first choice would be Willy to C, but I don't see it happening, so I expect Bozak back. Basically looks like Bozak or Riley Nash if you want a middle 6 C since Filppula hates Babs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->