Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ St Louis - Saturday Night - HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I wonder what's the over/under on how many shifts Aberg plays on that line, papa needs a new pair of spats.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Why is aberg on the 1st line? Random choice.....you have mikheyev or hyman or kapanen or engvall to choose from.

Mikheyev Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Engvall Kerfoot Kapanen
Aberg Gauthier Spezza

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why is aberg on the 1st line? Random choice.....you have mikheyev or hyman or kapanen or engvall to choose from.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Engvall Kerfoot Kapanen
Aberg Gauthier Spezza

All those players were put in that position and did pretty much nothing. Did we forget that already? Hyman will play with Tavares and Marner as well. That Kerfoot, Mikheyev and Kapanen line has done well together. Keep them together.

Aberg has shown that he can score in bunches. He's got a very interesting skillset. The Leafs are going to throw a bunch of different bodies together like they did last game. He's not going to play prototypical 1st line minutes.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Hyman Tavares Marner
Engvall Kerfoot Kapanen
Aberg Gauthier Spezza

24 points in 22 games in the AHL, lots of those games with Keefe as his coach.

Maybe Keefe thinks he can have success in the NHL as well.

At least the current coach tries new things and changes things up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure how much it eases after STL

Next week -> Western Canada
Week After -> 3 game with another B2B
Week After -> 3 game with another B2B
Then a 6pm start on NY Eve in Minny

Probably need to go 7-4 to stay in the hunt. (7-2 if they hold form by losing one of the B2B's)
They seem to do well in Western Canada unless I'm mis-remembering.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
This team appears to have all the talent and skill, but a lack of will and willingness to take hits to get to the tough spots to make plays. They figure out the will and mental parts of the game and they will start to dominate

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Found this rather interesting:

TBN-9-Leafs.png

So we are doing better in almost every area except rush passes. I'm going to guess that we get quite a few clean breaks, but we don't counter-attack with numbers very often.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Truth By Numbers: How have the Maple Leafs changed under Keefe? - Sportsnet.ca

Under Mike Babcock for 23 games this season, the Leafs produced the 26th-most inner slot shots on net in the league with 97. Under Sheldon Keefe for seven games they have produced a league-high 51.

The Leafs were 11th in completed passes to the slot with 222 before the coaching change, and since then they lead the league with 102.
Some reason for optimism here.

"The Leafs are really pushing the play in the inner slot, but you know who leads the team in shots from that spot on the ice? Perimeter player William Nylander with 36, the fifth-highest mark in the NHL. Nylander has a reputation for missing the net, but he’s put 84 per cent of his shot attempts from the most dangerous area on the ice on net. He’s one of the more accurate guys in the league."

"Where Nylander does miss a lot is from the high slot. Only 40 per cent of his shot attempts from there have hit the net, which might be why he’s shooting from closer than ever this year."
Nothing new about the first one. Although I'd say that the question isn't really accuracy, it's that he's so mindful of the high and wide shot that he focuses on putting it on net first. I think that's partially why he's conversation rate isn't as good as it should.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Last tough game before an "easy" stretch to end December.

I say "easy" because this team hasn't played in a way that makes me feel like any game is an easy one. However, I think between now and the end of the month gices us a good insight into the team under Keefe and how we will fsre the rest of the season. Hopefully we sneak past STL and set ourselves up for a nice run against some of the weaker competition that is coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad