Leafs sign Tlusty

Duff88

May 7, 2002
What does that mean? Will he play with the Marlies with a chance of gaining a spot with a good camp/season in the AHL?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
He better play in the OHL or AHL, or the contract is useless! We need him to become acustomed to the NA game! I didn't like the pick to begin with, he better start to make the transition. If not it's JFJ's millionth blunder!

Transported Upstater

He better play in the OHL or AHL, or the contract is useless! We need him to become acustomed to the NA game! I didn't like the pick to begin with, he better start to make the transition. If not it's JFJ's millionth blunder!

No way dude...Tlusty was the BPA at #13 IMO.

I hope Tlusty is playing in the OHL, personally...no need to rush him.

leafaholix*

I don't think it makes any difference whether he's European or not. Once drafted by the CHL, oyu have to stay until you're 19-20.

untrue.
see ivan khomutov, devils prospect.
draft in 2003 at age 18, played 1 season with london, then in the ahl at age 19.
or habs prospect kostitsyn, played in ahl at age 18 or 19.

CH Wizard

Tlusty can play in the AHL (the year after) even if he plays in the CHL..because he was DRAFTED OUT OF EUROPE and not out of the chl.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
untrue.
see ivan khomutov, devils prospect.
draft in 2003 at age 18, played 1 season with london, then in the ahl at age 19.
or habs prospect kostitsyn, played in ahl at age 18 or 19.

But Khomutov turned 20 during his first year in the AHL. Kostitsyn played at 19 but has nothing to do with this since he never played in the CHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tlusty rights are owned by the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL ..

http://www.soogreyhounds.com/site/view_press.html?id=642

Leaf pick may play for Soo - Tlusty could head to North America

Tlusty was selected by the Greyhounds in the Canadian Hockey League import draft in 2005 and, until recently, the Greyhounds thought they would never see him in their lineup

Unlike North American players drafted out of major junior, Tlusty could play next season in the American Hockey League for the Marlies if he proves he can handle that level of play.

But it's more likely that he'll be better suited to start his North American career with the Greyhounds.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...5&call_pageid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278

Now with four legitimate options (NHL, AHL, CHL (OHL, Sault Ste. Marie), Europe (Kladno, Czech), and each one of those options based on ice time, coaches, opportunities, culture, language, rink size, length of season and strength of competition etc will have a different effect on his development as a player and person..

What is the best route for that development is what is debatable ...

YouAreStupid

May 27, 2003
No way dude...Tlusty was the BPA at #13 IMO.

I hope Tlusty is playing in the OHL, personally...no need to rush him.

he's already playing with men. Going to the O seems like a step backwards to me.

Training camp will tell the tale. My money says he plays for the Marlies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
he's already playing with men. Going to the O seems like a step backwards to me.

In terms of quality of play, yeah probably a step backwards.

However, it's a different style of play and for an 18 year old kid to come over and who doesn't speak english and to be thrown right into professional NA hockey can be a big step because it's a lot more of a business then the CHL would be.

If he plays in Sault Ste. Marie he can still focus on improving his skills, but also become accustumed to the style of life over here and be with guys his own age where he can make some friends and have some fun.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
What I meant to say is once you PLAY in the CHL you have to stay there until you're 20, not drafted as it doesn't matter if you report or not.

YouAreStupid

May 27, 2003
In terms of quality of play, yeah probably a step backwards.

However, it's a different style of play and for an 18 year old kid to come over and who doesn't speak english and to be thrown right into professional NA hockey can be a big step because it's a lot more of a business then the CHL would be.

If he plays in Sault Ste. Marie he can still focus on improving his skills, but also become accustumed to the style of life over here and be with guys his own age where he can make some friends and have some fun.
That's true.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in training camp. Its good that the Leaf's have so manyu potential avenues to pursue. Always good to have options.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
What I meant to say is once you PLAY in the CHL you have to stay there until you're 20, not drafted as it doesn't matter if you report or not.
And you're still wrong.

A player drafted from Europe or college does not have the 20 year-old restriction even if they do play a season in the CHL. It's all about where you're drafted from, not whether or not you play in the CHL. Tlusty could play this season for the Soo then next year for the Marlies. If he played this past season in the OHL before being drafted then he would not be able to play in the AHL until he was 20.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I think Tlusty was the best player available when chosen. The funniest part is I remember feeling sorry for him when the TSN guys were interviewing him because his English was so broken up....but then Fergie Jr piped up and he was less articulate than Tlusty even though English is JFJ's mother tongue.

:banghead:

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
And you're still wrong.

A player drafted from Europe or college does not have the 20 year-old restriction even if they do play a season in the CHL. It's all about where you're drafted from, not whether or not you play in the CHL. Tlusty could play this season for the Soo then next year for the Marlies. If he played this past season in the OHL before being drafted then he would not be able to play in the AHL until he was 20.

Oh ok I see. I couldn't really dig up examples of players from europe playing in the CHL at 18 and then jumping to the professional ranks at 19.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

I don't understand all the hate for Tlusty from Toronto fans. Who was a better pick in the draft at that point? Exactly. I say enjoy what he's going to bring to the team when he's ready. A slick playmaker with size and a bit of a mean streak. Great skating ability and a decent shot. What's not to like about Tlusty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad