Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Smithson to NHL contract

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Who cares so was Steckel and look what kinda player he is

Yes but unlike Steckel, Smithson is here as a short term solution to a problem. He will play limited minutes, probably entirely on the fourth line...exactly the role Steckel would have been useful for. Smithson should be an ok stop gap until Bolland/Bozak return...I doubt you will see much of him after.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
I believe the poster you're replying to meant that Smithson would have to pass through waivers before he can actually join the Leafs.

I believe in the new cba players entering the nhl don't have to clear waivers. Same thing happened with liles

Mr Scarface*

Never seen this guy play. Is he "Hard"
He is hard enough yeah. Hard enough for our toughest, hardest team in the league for sure I can assure you.

Carly will surely be enjoying his faceoffs abilities and penalty killing offerings. Smithson will be a fan favourite with his busy body. ****in busy body.

Hilly1

Ak Bars Fanatic
Aug 23, 2013
This move I love!!!! Smithson's brute, no Viking can match. We are surely NHL's best now, you can be sure about it. Not many "black hard rubber players" scarier than this manly monster. Four'd line now sporting excellence in Orr, McLaren and smashing Smithson. Believe it!!! Be noble and burn the Ships!!!! The future is colourful with this new flesh joining our brigade! :yo: :yo: :yo: :yo: :yo:

Mr Scarface*

This move I love!!!! Smithson's brute, no Viking can match. We are surely NHL's best now, you can be sure about it. Not many "black hard rubber players" scarier than this manly monster. Four'd line now sporting excellence in Orr, McLaren and smashing Smithson. Believe it!!! Be noble and burn the Ships!!!! The future is colourful with this new flesh joining our brigade! :yo: :yo: :yo: :yo: :yo:
Wow! This is the post I was looking to see before christmas... or something! You clearly see ice hockey as a whole thing! You just said it, Our dirty 4th line will now be the biggest and hardest in the NHL. You see that don't you no? :)

I am just so glad I saw this post here at the hfboards.

Just saying out loud that line and its players... Frazer McLaren... Smithson, Colton Orr... wow. Tears and joy. And blood. Expecting a lot of that late season. Then they will hit so hard and fight even more. Not now is the time. Later, in those important games.

I just saw the post I was looking for like before christmas.... I'm so much waiting for christmas happen still.
Hosanna! Hosanna!!! Hosanna!!!!

Mr Scarface*

By the way Smithson's eyes are looking kind of crooked and twisted. Here and there. But it doesn't affect on his game play at all. He still does it all real good. Having seen him play. He is so ****in big he can't fit the door.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Is it because I'm mentally exhausted or are most of the posts in this thread incoherent?

I personally thought I was reading from a 4chan board or some kind of doge thread for a bit. All I have gotten out of it so far is "Wow. such player. so big. Many hits."

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Do the Leafs have son issus?

We had Clark, so we go get Clark-son

We have Smith, so we go get Smith-son

Asif16*

Are you related with sopranos??

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
honestly JVR Naz Mac and Smithson down the middle doesn't seem that bad to me. I think JVR and kessel will still be money, nothing will change on offense and JVR should be capable of adjusting defensively. If anything i think a line of Lupul-JVR-Kessel would be dynamite.

This was a solid pickup by nonis, clear upgrade over smith and can take the important draws all for cheap. why woul nonis make a panic move? Bozak will be back shortly. the team made the playoffs just fine with Mac as the 3rd line C last year so i don't mind him filling that role until bolland is able to return. I don't see a problem with Smithson as a 4th line C either.

Scarlet Witch

Jun 1, 2012
Toronto
Wow! This is the post I was looking to see before christmas... or something! You clearly see ice hockey as a whole thing! You just said it, Our dirty 4th line will now be the biggest and hardest in the NHL. You see that don't you no? :)

I am just so glad I saw this post here at the hfboards.

Just saying out loud that line and its players... Frazer McLaren... Smithson, Colton Orr... wow. Tears and joy. And blood. Expecting a lot of that late season. Then they will hit so hard and fight even more. Not now is the time. Later, in those important games.

I just saw the post I was looking for like before christmas.... I'm so much waiting for christmas happen still.
Hosanna! Hosanna!!! Hosanna!!!!

That will be such a hard line. Just perfect for a hard team like the Leafs.

Disgruntled Observer*

Perfectly adequate replacement for Bozak for the time being.

Take pretty much any career ahl center, call them up and give them 1st line minutes, 1st line PP time, and in between Kessel and JVR... and by the end of the season they'll likely have 40ish points.
You know... Bozak numbers.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Take pretty much any career ahl center, call them up and give them 1st line minutes, 1st line PP time, and in between Kessel and JVR... and by the end of the season they'll likely have 40ish points.

You got that right

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Meh decent depth option.

Can't be any worst then Smith, not that he played overly bad either.

Smithson can be used a bit more than Smith though.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

This isn't relevant. Smithson isn't a career AHL player. He hasn't played in that league for nearly a decade. He's going to be an upgrade over Smith on the 4th.

hockeyfanz*

Yes DO...but would they have that special chemistry that only Tyler Bozak shares with Phil Kessel...its electric :sarcasm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes DO...but would they have that special chemistry that only Tyler Bozak shares with Phil Kessel...its electric :sarcasm:

Could stick a pylon out there with springs for arms and taped on stick. Once you get use to how the spring works and how to bank pass off it you really have replaced that guy. I am not sure if banking passes off the pylon would change possession time even. Alternatively I suppose you could just learn to pass off the boards.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
What I was thinking and having in mind was the teams that contain young human beings and flesh (Edmonton, Calgary (Ex-maple leafs and also youngsters and Florida.) Is Devils the team you are concerned about and thinking of sir? I might have to think this over if you handle me evidence of the new jersey devils having young flesh in their troops? Smithson will take care of them too. Hard.

Not young. but soft. What happens to flesh as it gets older? Gets softer. Look at the devils. Not hard. soft. not hard. Smithson? Hard. McLaren, Orr, Clarkson? Hard. JvR? Semi-hard. Leafs will take it to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad