Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Smithson to NHL contract

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Ya he will (99% sure), but notta big deal. he won't get claimed. Even if he did it wouldn't be a loss because he filled in while we needed him

I believe the poster you're replying to meant that Smithson would have to pass through waivers before he can actually join the Leafs.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Ya he will (99% sure), but notta big deal. he won't get claimed. Even if he did it wouldn't be a loss because he filled in while we needed him

I believe the poster you're replying to meant that Smithson would have to pass through waivers before he can actually join the Leafs.

Curious both ways...best case scenario can't practice with Leafs until Friday at noon(or is he already on waivers)?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not surprised with this news, it's better than giving up assets for someone who would be of similar stature. Smithson knows his role, he's apparently really good in the dot so definitely a nice a cheap pick-up for Nonis from the Marlies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Yes this a perfect signing and move for Nonis, Dave.

Smithson is perfect in the faceoffs and makes other teams thinking scared/afraid in the circle. Smithson really makes others squat there. He will make us a better team instantly and will be used in the PK, and also in key faceoff situations. His body is also being used to protection and not for others not to get in on key situations that are hot. Uses his body in ok style.

I know hockey.

Most importantly Smithson is a man who knows himself, and one who will surely have the youngin's on the Devils squirting milk out their noses

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Good signing. From what I hear, Marlies are hurting down the middle right now as well. When Bozak and Bolland come back, Smithson goes down to help them out.

While Smithson is up, he takes crucial face-offs and gets off the ice like Steckel did, and mentors Kadri on face-offs as well -- this stuff alone is quite valuable.

I like.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007

Smithson is perfect in the faceoffs and makes other teams thinking scared/afraid in the circle. Smithson really makes others squat there. He will make us a better team instantly and will be used in the PK, and also in key faceoff situations. His body is also being used to protection and not for others not to get in on key situations that are hot. Uses his body in ok style.

I know hockey.

Google translate anybody?

leafstilldeath*

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

and then

:facepalm:

And I thought we might be making a move to get a good top 6 C lol. Once again I will have to look up in the mirror and remind myself that:

Happiness = 1/Expectations

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada

I know hockey.

Google translate anybody?

I might be paraphrasing... but what he is trying to say is "It makes our team harder..." or something like that

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good stop gap measure, and a solid depth signing for the rest of the season. Smithson was one of Barry Trotz's favorites in Nashville for many years.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Knows his role and doesn't exceed it. Played well in Smashville, didn't really do anything of note in Florida. Will win big faceoffs, play well defensively, and that's about it. Zero offensive acumen. 4th line center.

good.... jvr-kadr-mcclement-smithson will be good down the middle till bozak/bolland return (and id even argue thats better center group than our regulars but im assuming jvr will be a stud center just like winger so..)

Mr Scarface*

Most importantly Smithson is a man who knows himself, and one who will surely have the youngin's on the Devils squirting milk out their noses
What I was thinking and having in mind was the teams that contain young human beings and flesh (Edmonton, Calgary (Ex-maple leafs and also youngsters and Florida.) Is Devils the team you are concerned about and thinking of sir? I might have to think this over if you handle me evidence of the new jersey devils having young flesh in their troops? Smithson will take care of them too. Hard.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He's very good on the dot. Physical, has size and has played plenty of games. Doesn't hurt to add veterans.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Everyone's talking about his face off abilities...can he kill penalties? I like his size and I take it that he's defensively responsible which is always a plus. Losing two big PK forwards, it'll be nice if he can replace some of those minutes lost with Bozak and Bolland being injured.

Mr Scarface*

Everyone's talking about his face off abilities...can he kill penalties? I like his size and I take it that he's defensively responsible which is always a plus. Losing two big PK forwards, it'll be nice if he can replace some of those minutes lost with Bozak and Bolland being injured.
I talked about this with my other brother and he knew that Smithson's PK skill/understanding is right there. He'll be playing huge minutes with Jay McClement on the PK. Of course they will be playing in different pk-lines, but still. Smithson will get some big, important PK minutes and help our team out. Seen him play myself, he'll do the correct thing for us for sure I'll assure you.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did the Leafs actually decide to call him up after he signed his contract? Since they sent Trevor Smith back to the Marlies I assumed it was to replace him on the roster with Smithson.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

and then

:facepalm:

And I thought we might be making a move to get a good top 6 C lol. Once again I will have to look up in the mirror and remind myself that:

Happiness = 1/Expectations

If you were Nonis, which top 6 centres would you be targeting? And what would you be willing to part with?

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Nonis isnt over paying for another teams scrub when he can put an inexpensive bandaid on this. The leafs are a playoff team and he needs to save cap space to bring in a few vets for a run. Smithson is a chea stopgap until bozak is back

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
They needed a body at center. I'm not expecting much, just 6 to 10 minutes on the 4th line and a little penalty killing.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Statistically he had his 2nd best season of his career with the Leafs. Honestly, what are you expecting out of a 4th liner? 20 goals?

It seems he was expecting Nonis to pluck a top 6 C off a tree and pay him pennies to play on the team while Bozak and Bolland are injured.

Kadri works as a 2C, McClement fits right in as 3C, Smithson is supposed to be a capable 4C. JVR is the wildcard as 1C due to the defensive responsibilities he now has to take on but the situation is slightly eased by the fact that he's got Kessel as his winger. Kessel is the only forward on the team that can reliably produce without having to lean much on his linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad