Prospect Info: Leafs sign Semyon Der-Arguchintsev to 3 year ELC

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The pic of SDA with Dubas looks like such a good moment, like I'm imagining right after the game Babcock walking over to SDA in the locker room and saying "the boss wants to see you upstairs" with a deadpan delivery then walking him up with SDA thinking that he's getting shipped back to Ptbo, and they walk in to Dubas's office and there's a contract on the table. If it happened anything like what I'm picturing, it would be such a lifetime highlight for him

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I wonder if be under contract with the Leafs give him perks like free games whenever he wants...!

I recall him saying in his post-draft interview that he’s catch a few on his off days with the Leafs...!

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
lets hope so. If he does and Sandin keeps his trajectory the trade back will look more genius than the Dermott trade back. St Louis took Dominik Bokk with our pick, he looks like a fine prospect BUT is RW AND would of been only him.

This strategy is paying off....

Remember the old days when we would trade up??? Like that time we traded Rickard Rakell and John Gibson for Tyler Biggs... :(:huh::help:

Reactions: Menzinger

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Probably want to give him an official vote of confidence so he doesn't bolt back to russia.

I think there is very little chance of that, I believe he came over when he was 12, the NHL is his dream.

Safe to say SDA will be a Leafs fan favourite, kids brimming with positive attitude and an underrated skill set.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Dubas draft seems pretty good right now, the 2nd rounder was a solid pick with good potential, and SDA is tremendous.
Built the Marlies calder cup team.
Recruited Tavares, and no he wasnt coming here no matter what.
Communication with Babcock to change up the breakout.
Nice start for Dubas

To be fair, I think it's wayyy too early to determine whether the draft was good, or whether his offseason moves (or lack thereof) were good. So far the kids have looked solid in very limited, non-NHL action, and while the Tavares signing was huge, it still remains to be seen what happens with the back end and whether even with Tavares we can get to the next level. I think we'd all agree it would be a failure if we don't get out of the first or 2nd round within the next few years. I'll be particularly interested in how he handles upcoming critical decisions like Gardiner. Exciting times, nonetheless, and I love the direction and emphasis on skill. Imo, how he moulds the back end will be his defining project and whether he can turn a below average defensive team into a top 7-10.

Reactions: Eb

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The pic of SDA with Dubas looks like such a good moment, like I'm imagining right after the game Babcock walking over to SDA in the locker room and saying "the boss wants to see you upstairs" with a deadpan delivery then walking him up with SDA thinking that he's getting shipped back to Ptbo, and they walk in to Dubas's office and there's a contract on the table. If it happened anything like what I'm picturing, it would be such a lifetime highlight for him

That would be really disrespectful to put him on the spot like that rather than work through his agent.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A contract is between the player and the organization. Of course the player has to come in person to sign it. :help:

I've been musing for years that drafted players don't really need an agent until their 2nd contract. I'd just hire a lawyer who isn't taking a percentage.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
How about this for the next step: Canadian citizenship and an invite to the Team Canada WJC camp in the summer of 2019?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wonder if be under contract with the Leafs give him perks like free games whenever he wants...!

I recall him saying in his post-draft interview that he’s catch a few on his off days with the Leafs...!
He's actually good friends with Nikita Zaitsev as Zaitsev played minor/junior hockey with SDA's older brother.

SDA would get tickets from Zaitsev last year (he mentioned this in his post draft interviews).

Reactions: MyBudJT

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
A contract is between the player and the organization. Of course the player has to come in person to sign it. :help:

I've been musing for years that drafted players don't really need an agent until their 2nd contract. I'd just hire a lawyer who isn't taking a percentage.

It's more than NHL contract negotiations. Agents also play a role in handling sponsorships.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Just watched last night's game and couldn't believe how good this kid looked. Made so many good plays and made so many good decisions.

All that and then he out battles Girgensons in the corner.... Did I hear this kid turned up in Canada weighing 145lbs?

Reactions: cookie

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Then why would he be surprised that he was called into an office to sign it
look at the time on the post, right after the game. Do you just hate the romance of the game? You'll notice that the word "Imagine" is in the original post you quoted, I'm not trying to portray that sequence of events as fact

have a little fun in life

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->