Prospect Info: Leafs sign Semyon Der-Arguchintsev to 3 year ELC

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not quite as quick, but Nielsen signed in November following his draft year according to Cap Friendly.

The difference there was to get the 2nd slide year for late birthdays(Sept 16-Dec 31) you have to sign them during the same calender year as the draft so you often see late birthdays like Nielsen and Timashov who we also signed in November. Otherwise when they're first AHL eligible in their draft + 2 their contract starts(Nielsen and Timashov got the first AHL years as slide years because they signed in November 2015).

With SDA that requirement wouldn't have been there since he's a early birthday(Jan 1-Sept 15), so there wouldn't normally have been a rush to give him the contract. So him getting one is very impressive, he must have really impressed management. For comparison, Bracco, another small, skilled early birthday didn't get his contract until March 2017 after being drafted in 2015. So it's quite rare for these mid-late round early birthdays to get contracts this soon.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I always liked him when we made the pick. I think he could be a 1st rounder if he enters 2019 draft. But why sign him so early ?? Anyone plz kindly share the logic behind?
This is so the Leafs can control his developement. They can now do whatever they deem the best for the team. He wont be allowed to go back to Europe without their consent.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
The difference there was to get the 2nd slide year for late birthdays(Sept 16-Dec 31) you have to sign them during the same calender year as the draft so you often see late birthdays like Nielsen and Timashov who we also signed in November. Otherwise when they're first AHL eligible in their draft + 2 their contract starts(Nielsen and Timashov got the first AHL years as slide years because they signed in November 2015).

With SDA that requirement wouldn't have been there since he's a early birthday(Jan 1-Sept 15), so there wouldn't normally have been a rush to give him the contract. So him getting one is very impressive, he must have really impressed management. For comparison, Bracco, another small, skilled early birthday didn't get his contract until March 2017 after being drafted in 2015. So it's quite rare for these mid-late round early birthdays to get contracts this soon.

one of the quirks of the cba i wasnt aware of. thanks for the info. very impressive given this context.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
one of the quirks of the cba i wasnt aware of. thanks for the info. very impressive given this context.

We did a similar thing with Dermott who's also a late birthday 2015 draftee(we were busy that summer/fall), except way earlier, signing him in July less than 1 month after the draft. Without this rule, or if we had waited he would be RFA this coming offseason when Matthews, and Marner are which would have caused a headache, but thankfully we get the extra year before having to extend him.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
He really does look like Mitch out there doesn't he? After we drafted him I noticed that in highlights, but seeing them both in blue and white had me doing double takes :laugh:
legit i had a few beers in me and i was like what a nice play by my boi mitchy . . . . . SDA nvmmm ..... lol

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Probably want to give him an official vote of confidence so he doesn't bolt back to russia.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas draft seems pretty good right now, the 2nd rounder was a solid pick with good potential, and SDA is tremendous.
Built the Marlies calder cup team.
Recruited Tavares, and no he wasnt coming here no matter what.
Communication with Babcock to change up the breakout.
Nice start for Dubas

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Probably want to give him an official vote of confidence so he doesn't bolt back to russia.
While this is always a concern with Russians, I feel a lot more confident drafting the ones that play in North America before being drafted. If SDA was playing in Russia last year he probably slides another round, maybe more.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I know it's early, played only one game and he's small, etc but I can tell this kid will be a Leaf someday. Clear to as day to me he's an organizational fit. This is a Dubas player. Happy for the kid.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Awesome kid and really loved watching him last night. He definitely has flashes of marner lite but give him a couple years of development and let him fill in he should be a beast. He outmuscled nhlers on some shifts vs Buffalo

Reactions: Keon1963

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

He said it has always been his dream to play in the nhl I’m not sure we should be worried about him bolting, he said this before he got his elc too

Reactions: selltrade

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can you not do what MAgnus Paajarvi-Svennson did and just drop the second last name... haha

Der would be much easier!

He had a brother whose name is Alexander fedoseyev I just found out on eliteprospects he’s 27, must be a half brother. I assumed der and arguchintsev where 2 names hyphenated but then his brother should be one of those wouldn’t he

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Cant think of any from any team lol ... Dubas trying to make up for the bad 2nd rd pick maybe lol

I thought of Malgin right away because he was a 4th rounder and playing at 19, but I think even he signed in his draft +1 year.

Will be awesome to see how he progresses this season. I don't think Peterborough is supposed to be that good so he should have a leading role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad