Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Mikhail Abramov to ELC

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
2019's looking really good despite not having a 1st round pick.

Robertson is looking like a mid-high first round level player and Abramov + Abruzzese look like second round level players. Maybe even better.

Looks much better than 2015-2018 so far (other than sandin)

Robertson is looking like a top 5-10 selection. He hardly made the age cut to be drafted and will still be 18 this June for the draft. If he was in this years draft he would be top 5-10 talent for sure. Size isn’t a factor in the NHL anymore.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I haven't had a chance to watch him a ton but he reminds me of Vladdy Namestnikov. He's very good at everything in the Q. He is also always in the right spots. I've never really had any moments where he's wowed me, he's just steady/solid.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Happy for the kid, getting an ELC this soon after you've been picked in the mid rounds is a great effort

I've watched him a few times and I liked his tools but on a team that bad it's hard to evaluate a player, they blow

He stood out like crazy though, which is really positive and he drove play pretty nicely

Reactions: Menzinger

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Does he pass the sniff test? Let's find out...

Multilingual: Check
Plays Piano: Check
Military Service: Check
Rides horse topless: Check
Classic Russian Hairdoo: Check
Choked out a Kodiak at age 15: Check
Affinity for Wodka: Yis

We have quality comrade here boys and girls! Comrade Abramov I liking.

Reactions: Smif

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Imo one of the things to really track is how well the Leafs stats guys may i influence amateure scouting. Still early days yet, but there seem to be some interesting results so far. The 2019 draft was the first one the Dubas front office had a full yesr to prep for

They seem to have found undervalued prospects in tough situations and been able to evaluate them correctly

Robertson's team wasn't good
Abramov's team straight up blows
Abruzzese was in a weird situation developmentally for his age

All those guys have taken off since they were picked, that's solid

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They seem to have found undervalued prospects in tough situations and been able to evaluate them correctly

Were they the best players on their terrible teams? That's usually the value play in Hockey, trade for the best or better players on terrible teams.

Reactions: Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Amateur scouting is based on so much random guesswork it always struck me as the area of hockey that stats analysis might prove to have his biggest impact.

So far ive liked the later round picks the last couple cycles more than average. Just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope they pan out

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Another one we shouldn't forget about is Kokkonen. He had a slow start but picked it up afterwards, and his game is translateble.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Were they the best players on their terrible teams? That's usually the value play in Hockey, trade for the best or better players on terrible teams.

Abruzzese wasn't, he was old for the level he was playing at when he was drafted and his numbers were pretty gaudy at the time

He's an old NCAA freshman now, his numbers are outstanding at that level though which is promising

Amateur scouting is based on so much random guesswork it always struck me as the area of hockey that stats analysis might prove to have his biggest impact.

So far ive liked the later round picks the last couple cycles more than average. Just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope they pan out

If your going to pick guys off bad teams look for the ones with, and around the puck all the time
That's why Tampa picked Point apparently

Play driving would be a good predictor of future success I'd imagine so I'd be looking for that and using analytical tools that showed that trait

I like our current theory better than the Hunter model, picking huge fridges with no redeeming skill set through the mid to late rounds ******* sucked

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Another one we shouldn't forget about is Kokkonen. He had a slow start but picked it up afterwards, and his game is translateble.

That's a good point Stickty, he's not outstanding in any one area but he plays a calm game and he seemed to come on as he got over that injury

Hopefully the start of next season is a little kinder to him

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->