Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
On a related note, while Likely will never become public but id be curious to know what their stats department looks at for these overseas guys.

Id imagine they likely hire an external firm to collect data

member 300185

Whoever said his skating is not very good, is clearly out to lunch. This guy is a Gallagher clone.

Reactions: Spencer White

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Is this thread premature?

Also, do we still have interest in Grigorenko? Nesterov? That small Russian goalie? What about Jaskin?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Name a small player who is actually good?
I will wait
Gaudreau, Marchand, Kane, krug...

If the leafs are to succeed with the big 4 forwards, it’s moves like this that will keep their depth. If they hadve been able to keep a somewhat healthy roster they’d have 3 really strong lines. As it happens both johnsson and mikheyev went down long term and that killed their depth down the stretch.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
On a related note, while Likely will never become public but id be curious to know what their stats department looks at for these overseas guys.

Id imagine they likely hire an external firm to collect data

For the most part, it is external.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I trust our scouts. As a RW you have to think he is penciled in on the Marlies to start unless we plan to move Kappy in a D move (which is very possible). Certainly his speed fits our style but I would not mind us adding some size, like just once in awhile....

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
In b4 obligatory post mentioning:

- Free wallet
- Worth a flyer
- Dubas loves small guys

Edit: too late :help:

Last edited:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
On a side note, look how good Soshnikov is over there.

I always felt he could have been a solid NHL player. Nothing crazy. Energy third liner, more goals than assists. Something like 17 goals, 13 assists.

Think he could have become that if he could handle the physical league. His body I mean. His body just couldn't stand up to all that physical play. Injuries galore. Stunted him over here. All the way to nothing.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I've been a huge fan of Barabanov for a long time. Last couple of years I've been praisin both Bara and Kubalik. Kuba allready showed the skills. Barabanov is more of an all-around player. While small he's still pretty good forechecker and fights for the puck well. Good shot and really good vision. Imho he's even better than Mikheyev.

Regarding Bilyalov I'm not that into it. IMO Ivan Fedotov and Ivan Bocharov would be much better options. I know Fedotov is Philly property, but with Hart, Ustimenko and Sandström there I see possibility to let him go here for a cheap price. With Bocharov, I'm really into him. All-Star goalie in KHL. Only 24 years old, and style of play is much similar to Shestyorkin. Also not as small either like Bily is.

So let's get Barabanov, Bocharov and Zub to us. (I know Zub is rumoured to go to Habs)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
On a side note, look how good Soshnikov is over there.

I always felt he could have been a solid NHL player. Nothing crazy. Energy third liner, more goals than assists. Something like 17 goals, 13 assists.

Think he could have become that if he could handle the physical league. His body I mean. His body just couldn't stand up to all that physical play. Injuries galore. Stunted him over here. All the way to nothing.

Soshnikov looked like he might to be that chippy competitive 3rd line type. Really it's too bad. We've all seen guys try to play that way with slight builds and heart of a lion. It usually doesn't go well. This Barabanov guy doesn't seem undersized at all. He's solidly built.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
To everyone saying he's going to take an AHL spot, Barabanov is 100% going to be signed in order to take a roster spot.

He's good, had a down season, and a contract would likely involve a European Assignment Clause (basically, if he's sent down, he's probably returning to Russia).

He's like 5'10, so I don't even think he's that small, earlier reports listed him as 5'8, so I think that's where the confusion started

Wrote an article about him here if any of you are interested, I think it pretty much covers the basics

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/index.php/2020/03/29/leafs-interested-in-alexander-barabanov/

Reactions: LeafChief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad