Post-Game Talk: Leafs season over. Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1. Hainsey was victimized a fair bit. The puck not going in against him doesn't mean he didn't suck.

2. I need to rant. I'm also a masochist.

We'll agree to disagree here. Did you notice Hainsey talking to Andersen after that first goal? That's what winners do and Hainsey's a winner.

Fair enough, rant away.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Let me take a different approach -- although most of what I read here looks right to me. Babcock is a big part of the problem.

Before you attack what I am going to say, just think it over, but here it is -- same thing I said last summer: SIGNING TAVARES WAS A MISTAKE.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Let me take a different approach -- although most of what I read here looks right to me. Babcock is a big part of the problem.

Before you attack what I am going to say, just think it over, but here it is -- same thing I said last summer: SIGNING TAVARES WAS A MISTAKE.

(DIDN'T FINISH.. .CONTINUING...)

This is not a matter of Tavares: he was great, stand-up guy, super talented. My point has nothing to do with Tavares per se, but THE INDIRECT CONSEQUENCES OF SIGNING TAVARES.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Morning after, and I still feel hollow. I seriously thought that this series was the Leafs based on the first four games.

Babcock should get his share of flak for the way he distributed the ice-time last night. But Andersen being a sieve on two goals, our big guns not producing save for Tavares's goal, and Moore being the best player last night (God love him, but that can't be the case in a Game 7) -- there is lots of blame that should be going around.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

This is not a matter of Tavares: he was great, stand-up guy, super talented. My point has nothing to do with Tavares per se, but THE INDIRECT CONSEQUENCES OF SIGNING TAVARES.

JT probably has only about 3 more years before the contract starts looking terrible.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017

(sorry, KEEP HITTING ENTER BY MISTAKE.. TOO UPSET..)

Which include:

1) Did we gain in the standings? No.
2) Signing Tavares essentially shelved Kadri, who had scored over 30 goals the previous two seasons. A team can only score so many goals, because they only NEED to score so many goals. Center was not the main weakness of this team.
3) Three of the six defencemen on this team are questionable. Take that money and think about what you erally need on defense, one or two more big time shut- down defensemen.
4) Degrees of freedom --- a term from statistics. Signing Tavares reduces Dubas' degrees of freedom so drastically that I can only imagine the rest of the team being scrubs anyway after they sign Marner. Everyone note: how is it possible to have a cup winning team if three players take up over 40 million of cap space, or 4 players take up over 50 million. Sorry, I can't play defense -- I'm 71.
5) There are other holes on this team to think about: 4th line centre, bruising winger who scores. Better back-up goalie.
6) Tavares is a great player, but he is a robotic leader. I don't see the passion there, or the leadership, so I hope he wasn't signed to be the captain here. Did anyone notice the Islanders did better without him? He's too self-serious.

I could go on.... but this is about the dominoes that fall as a result of that signing, and the net-net long-term. Not good....

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
And furthermore...

Andersen is part of the problem. Lets' just admit this: he is awful in clutch situations. Last year's loss was at least as much on him as Gardiner. That last goal last year was really weak. How many game 7's has he choked? We have a big problem there: I don't think he is a cup-winning goalie. He is like the opposite of Grant Fuhr, who let in stuff left and right UNTIL IT COUNTED.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
On plus side, yes we have a very good core.

Even though it wasn't enough, we were better on D this year.

I know it only counts in horseshoes & ... but we were close against an admittedly very good team.

Hurts that we led 3-2 in series & couldn't close it out.

While it's true heavy & slow doesn't work, fast & skilled without jam also doesn't - imho.

We need to find the sweet spot with tweaks etc.

Not gonna lie, gave props to Babcock after game 1.

& yes, as many point out here diplomatically, game & time mgt were an issue.

Dam, I don't golf!

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Had we won and the canes win tonight we could have had only Canes , Jackets and Islanders in our way toward a Cup final. What a wasted opportunity this is turning out to be. f*** you Babcock!

Reactions: Al14

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
This team reminds me of when Toronto used to beat Ottawa every year in the playoffs. Ottawa was a highly skilled team and was often the favorite but the Leafs would take the series. Toronto just had their number. I am not advocating for the Burkie style of hockey team but a little re-balancing needs to be done. They also need to take the top nine wingers into a video session and let them watch Moore finish his checks. When a player knows he is going to be hit he rushed just a little bit sometimes causing a mistake. Watching Nylander in particular(but not exclusively) turn instead of skating straight into the player just after the pass is frustrating. In an 82 game season you can't do it and hope to stay healthy but in the playoffs you hit every time you get a chance just to make them think about it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad