Post-Game Talk: Leafs season over. Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This is such bull****. Why so afraid to admit marner wasn’t good enough? I don’t get it. Nylander stink no arguments here, but linemates are a factor that line was essentially built to not be scored on. A way for babs to protect nylander (because he was playing ****) defensively but as a consequence it had nothing offensively. But it was still ****.

How you can harp on that third line when a 94 point winger and a 47 goal centre had 4 points and 2 goals respectively?
Who were they playing with? As you mentioned ,linemates matter. Maybe more successful if Marners passes to Hyman weren't wasted.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Nylander was fine, terrible giveaway for the empty netter but they were never coming back anyway. He deserved some shifts with Matthews. I don't know a free online resource to look these stats up but curious how often he got to play with Rielly over the series after game 2, there was a shift in game 5 or 6 where they were really snapping em finding each other. Rielly is so clearly the team's best dman and I think it's probably easy to overstate the significance of linemates and understate the D pairings that a 3rd line gets to play with. though maybe they shared the ice more than I can recall.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Tough and interesting series from a neutral point of view. I know it must sting, but winning a series, let alone the Cup, is just damn hard. Two tight seven game series seriously a bounce here or there and things could have been different. Toronto has a great core and is looking at a relatively long and open window for competition. Sucks to be out so early, but you look at a team like Washington or even the Bruins, there was a lot of pain before the big prize. It won't always be peachy smooth sailing ala Chicago even if you have a damn good team.

Next year no reason why Leafs arent in top-5 of contenders to win. Enjoy the summer everyone.
But ,the regular season is meaningless,as proven this year.Just get in the playoffs and see what happens...the game changes,the refs call it differently(which is bullshit). Why even try during the regular season?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just watched the Sharks/Knights highlights and all I can say is Logan "f'n" Couture. Thanks JFJ for trading our 1st for Toscola.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Watch this.

This isn’t a guy wok will want a coach who ignores all the stats and analytics.

This isn’t a guy who will want a coach that doesn’t play the stars because that goes against even basic statistics.

Very interesting.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Terrible LW depth, terrible RD depth.

None of them fixed by management. No attempt to fix them internally by Babcock.

It's hilarious how Marner and Tavares just get shut down completely and Babcock doesn't even consider giving them a linemate who can actually put the puck in the net. Just thick headed, stubborn nonsense.

Top down, this team has a lot of issues. Management never cared about fixing them, making them an issue as well.

I basically assume Dubas didn't trust Babcock to not overuse a depth dman or depth/vet forward acquisition a la Plekanec. Mirtle on Leafs report couple weeks back referenced Moneyball when BB traded Carlos Pena so the manager would have to play Hatteberg. was also really crazy they carried a 7th dman, right handed, all season, who got into 11 games. just really baffling stuff that I think can only be explained by a front office/coaching staff power struggle.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
well,, this ends another NHL POs, all canadian teams are done and after seeing that 5 minute major travesty call that cost the knights game 7

i see no reason at all to keep following this season.

stay safe and see you all around draft day.

Yikes if that's a 5 minute major, the Leafs should have spent the entire game 2 on the PP for worse.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Babs said that he could not move Willie up and down the lineup without Kadri. The season went south in December. Many have their opinions about this team and why things played out like they did.

"we can and we will"
"I want a skilled and fast team"
letting Mac go in favour of Sparks
Nylander negotiations
not upgrading the D enough
dying on the hill with Marleau and Brown
not being able to fix the PP since December
having a PK that operated at 50+%

First thing I would do is fire Babs' assistants. The off season will be interesting and expect many chances.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Marleau has been useless all season. Jake Gardiner has been less than useless all season.

Take those two guys out and the Leafs become instantly a better team.

Love Kadri he can stay forever. Nylander is fine dont mind him.

Matthews needs linemates so that his line can play 20+mins a night.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I thought these playoffs were his one more chance myself. I've been one of his biggest supporters over the years but it's pretty hard to have faith in this guy at this point in time. I wouldn't even be surprised if he's the only player in NHL history to be suspended in the 1st round two years in a row.

The only way I'm keeping Kadri is if his trade value is so low that I can't get a decent return for him. But how much value does a player have who you can't count on to even be able to suit up in the playoffs?

I'm in the same boat. Dubas isn't stupid. He will take calls on Kadri but all the offers will be lowball. If we get a good value for him, he's gone. If not, we should keep him and wait and see what happens.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I basically assume Dubas didn't trust Babcock to not overuse a depth dman or depth/vet forward acquisition a la Plekanec. Mirtle on Leafs report couple weeks back referenced Moneyball when BB traded Carlos Pena so the manager would have to play Hatteberg. was also really crazy they carried a 7th dman, right handed, all season, who got into 11 games. just really baffling stuff that I think can only be explained by a front office/coaching staff power struggle.

Dubas didn't trade or upgrade Ron Hainsey. That's the issue. I'm not saying he should have acquired more depth defence or forwards. I'm talking about him choosing not to fix flaws on the first line or first pair.

Tell me if you can think of another 'contender' which has a geezer on the top pair and a set of stone hands on the top line. Big upgrades were needed and no attempts were made.

Also, Holl was given his chances and was just atrocious.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Dubas didn't trade or upgrade Ron Hainsey. That's the issue. I'm not saying he should have acquired more depth defence or forwards. I'm talking about him choosing not to fix flaws on the first line or first pair.

yeah but again I think the reason you'd have to trade Hainsey and not just upgrade on him is you wouldn't trust Babcock to play whoever you got, Hamilton say, over the sturdy vet. same with Hyman, you'd have to trade him to get him off Babcock's top line.

Tell me if you can think of another 'contender' which has a geezer on the top pair and a set of stone hands on the top line.

the Bruins? Chara/Heinan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
yeah but again I think the reason you'd have to trade Hainsey and not just upgrade on him is you wouldn't trust Babcock to play whoever you got, Hamilton say, over the sturdy vet. same with Hyman, you'd have to trade him to get him off Babcock's top line.

the Bruins? Chara/Heinan

This is just you going out of the way to put all the blame on Babcock. He's not a ******* moron.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Tell me if you can think of another 'contender' which has a geezer on the top pair and a set of stone hands on the top line. Big upgrades were needed and no attempts were made.

Also, Holl was given his chances and was just atrocious.

Complete nonsense, Hainsey played really well for us in the playoffs.

I thought you were done with this team, why are you still posting?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
As Babcock says..The Leafs just have to dig in. Keep digging so we find a nice play to bury his contract and the memory of Babcock as a coach.

#FireBabcock.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Complete nonsense, Hainsey played really well for us in the playoffs.

I thought you were done with this team, why are you still posting?

1. Hainsey was victimized a fair bit. The puck not going in against him doesn't mean he didn't suck.

2. I need to rant. I'm also a masochist.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
you think there was nobody else to try with Marner/JT over the course of a whole season? Hyman was the best available option?

If you exclude Johnsson because he's with the other top centre, who else is there?

Marleau, Lindholm and Moore. I like Moore and maybe it happens next season but he was only called up in the final 20 games and for him to go from the AHL to the 4th line to the 1st line would be unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->