Salary Cap: Leafs Salary Cap 2016-2017 season

Zxzx

May 2, 2016
The leafs must have the most complicated cap in the nhl.
I have read articles on the leafs Salary cap and everyone of them has had different numbers. So if somebody can explain what they're salary cap going foward is that would be great.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What's so hard to understand?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/toronto-maple-leafs

Both have the same number pretty much. It all depends if you want to add players like Lupul and Robidas in the cap calculations depending on your belief if they will play next year or not.

Right now, as we speak, we have just around 10M of cap space with 20 players signed. This is counting Lupul, Cowen and Robidas while Horton remains on LTIR.

Well Lou said they will buy out Cowen for his cap credit so thats what? Another 3.8? Plus the Canadian dollar has rebounded so the cap will rise.

Lupul won't play.

Got to believe Bozak is gone with Mathews coming in

We will be fine

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Im betting by the time the draft is over we will have around 15-18 million to play with once FA starts.

Bozak is as good as gone. Lupul, Robidas and Cowan will be off the books too.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Im betting by the time the draft is over we will have around 15-18 million to play with once FA starts.

Bozak is as good as gone. Lupul, Robidas and Cowan will be off the books too.

13.55 in dead cap with 3 injured players. LTIR is complicated but we have to head into the season counting these contracts, as if they were active players... then if needed we can dip into the LTIR space.

like this season Lou brought up the point of being within the cap without diving into the LTIR relief and credited Pridham with the cap knowledge. Gonna be nice in 6 years when we have clean books..... :help:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
posted this after we signed Kadri and Rielly, before Matthews happened, but it's basically the exact same for the cap since Matthews will be on an ELC.

it was done moreso to figure out if we had the money next year for Stamkos, which we do. But with Matthews too now the lineup will shape up differently.

But for the purposes of the cap. Say we don't sign Holland now and Matthews takes his roster spot(not on the 4th line but just his 23 man spot), then assuming 925k Matthews contract we have...

$14,421,669 in cap space

Looking at this affects the cap for next year....

Assuming we buyout Cowen and not counting ELC's or buryable contracts Leafs have $57,385,833 committed to 9 forwards, 4 D, and 1 goalie next year. That includes Cowen's cap benefit, Gleason's buyout, Kessel's retention, and this years cap overage of $502,500 due to Rielly hitting bonuses. It also included Horton.

If we assume Horton LTIR for full relief, that drops down to $52,085,833 with the following lineup. I'm not going to assume we can LTIR Robidas or anyone else.

JVR - ______ - ______
______ - Kadri - Komarov
Michalek - Bozak - ______
Laich - ______ - ______
Greening, Lupul

Rielly - ______
Gardiner - ______
______ - ______
Hunwick

Bernier
______

With Horton, and Robidas nowhere to be found.

Toss in Nylander, Brown, Soshnikov, and Hyman in the forward corps, then we need to make some RFA/Zaitsev signings. Throw Carrick, Marincin, and Zaitsev in on the back end, Sparks in goal, and Holland up front. Zaitsev getting 925k, Carrick 800k, and Marincin 900k, Sparks 700k, Holland 1 million(just quick estimates), and the following lineup take shape for $59,653,331

JVR - ______ - Soshnikov
Nylander - Kadri - Komarov
Michalek - Bozak - Brown
Laich - Holland - Hyman
Greening, Lupul

Rielly - ______
Gardiner - Carrick
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick

Bernier
Sparks

Which leaves 2 spots needed to fill. Assuming a 74 million dollar cap(is the cap number out for next year yet?) we have $14,346,669 in cap space. Plenty of room for Stamkos if management wants to take that route. Which is why I put Kadri on the 2nd line, and shifted Nylander to wing to leave that as an option.

You also need to fill that top pairing D role. Which could be tough. Kadri was my trade chip to acquire a young defenceman like Brodin, but given they just committed to him for 6 years it would be bad business to trade him anytime soon, we may need to look to UFA.

There's also the possibilities of Vesey and Matthews/Laine/+ being obtained and they get/earn spots, as well as Marner, and other young guys like Johnson, Kapenen, Lindberg, Leivo, Leipsic, Harrington, Corrado, Percy, Loov, Froese, Gauthier, but they're all pretty cheap so for purposes of figuring out how much cap space we may have they're interchangeable with most of the lineup above.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Again like everything else shanny and company have done is hire the best capoligist
In the league. He was the cap king for the NHL so he definitely knows all the ins and outs.

In saying that I read an article on sports net sorry can't find it now maybe someone else can

The article stated that due to Horton and robidas not being on the roster for a full year we can use a clause that says something like they are exempt from counting against cap

I think they called it LOITR or something like that
I didn't really understand all of it so maybe some other hockey guru on here could look it up and explain it in more detail

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I find the tricky part is how Horton and Robidas affect the salary cap pre-season and then during season and how much they are allowed to spend prior to the season while having those contracts on the books.

Cowen will be bought-out giving us a cap bonus this year of $650,000 and a slight cap hit next year.

Lupul should be included, as it is reported he is recovering and training.
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/maple-leafs-joffrey-lupul-begins-light-training/

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
What are the new rules for burying contracts in the minors? I remember the leafs doing it with Komi? And Finger? I think it was and the contracts basically just not counting in the cap due to them playing In the AHL. I remember reading somewhere that when the new CBA came into effect that this was changed? Anyone have a grasp on how it actually works now? Or am I mistaken and it's still the same?

Never mind I found the info I was looking for.

Last edited:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
What are the new rules for burying contracts in the minors? I remember the leafs doing it with Komi? And Finger? I think it was and the contracts basically just not counting in the cap due to them playing In the AHL. I remember reading somewhere that when the new CBA came into effect that this was changed? Anyone have a grasp on how it actually works now? Or am I mistaken and it's still the same?

you only save around 1M nowadays, the balance of the AAV counts towards the cap.

edit:

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#buried

What is a Buried Contract?

Teams do not receive full cap relief when a player on a one-way NHL contract is reassigned to the American Hockey League, or is loaned to a team in another professional league.

The players salary cap hit, minus the sum of the minimum NHL salary for the respective season and $375,000, still counts towards the team’s salary cap total.

The cap hit relief is therefore equal to the minimum salary of the respective season + $375,000:
2014-15: $550,000 + $375,000 = $925,000
2015-16: $575,000 + $375,000 = $950,000
2016-17: $575,000 + $375,000 = $950,000
2017-18: $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000
2018-19: $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000
2019-20: $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000
2020-21: $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000
2021-22: $750,000 + $375,000 = $1,125,000

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
13.55 in dead cap with 3 injured players. LTIR is complicated but we have to head into the season counting these contracts, as if they were active players... then if needed we can dip into the LTIR space.

like this season Lou brought up the point of being within the cap without diving into the LTIR relief and credited Pridham with the cap knowledge. Gonna be nice in 6 years when we have clean books..... :help:

We have so many waiver exempt ELC's that it doesn't really matter.

Nylander, who can count $3.75 against our cap with an ELC max I believe, can be sent down and brought back after the LTIR players are put on LTIR.

Paperwork is all we need to do properly to utilize all the cap space from what I can see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We have so many waiver exempt ELC's that it doesn't really matter.

Nylander, who can count $3.75 against our cap with an ELC max I believe, can be sent down and brought back after the LTIR players are put on LTIR.

Paperwork is all we need to do properly to utilize all the cap space from what I can see.

Well technically only Nylander's base salary $900k count against the Leafs cap while any ELC bonuses go into a overage slush fund that is in addition to the cap max salary ceiling and only count when earned and not prior to a season.

Mad Brills*

Lupul won't be buried, he'll be on IR for the whole year or playing.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Again like everything else shanny and company have done is hire the best capoligist
In the league. He was the cap king for the NHL so he definitely knows all the ins and outs.

In saying that I read an article on sports net sorry can't find it now maybe someone else can

The article stated that due to Horton and robidas not being on the roster for a full year we can use a clause that says something like they are exempt from counting against cap

I think they called it LOITR or something like that
I didn't really understand all of it so maybe some other hockey guru on here could look it up and explain it in more detail

This can be slightly confusing with both Nathan Horton and Stephane Robidas being victimized by Pridham’s loopholes. Both players did not play a single game in the 2015-2016 season and as will likely be the case again, will find themselves on Season Opening Injured Reserve (SOIR) next year as well.

SOIR is similar to Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) but with a few additional rules: The first rule being that players who failed to play a single NHL game in the year previous, are eligible to have their entire cap hit relieved from the team they are signed to. Meaning, this effectively wipes the entirety of both Robidas’ and Horton’s combined $8.3M salaries from Toronto’s cap hit for next season.

http://www.shanaplandebate.com/in-depth-analysis-toronto-maple-leafs-cap-situation/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad