Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Babcock listening to this...
upload_2019-11-28_16-32-48.jpeg

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hutchinson has a .880 save rate. We have allowed an average 31 shots against per game with Keefe

So he will let in 3 or 4 goals.

We need to score 4+ goals and we'll be good.

Like I posted in another thread, here are team defence numbers and NHL rank over the time since Keefe took over:

5v5 Defence/60 (lower being better of course):

CA: 46.64 (3rd in the NHL)
SA: 25.77 (6th in the NHL)
SCA: 19.85 (1st in the NHL)
HDCA: 6.81 (2nd in the NHL)
xGA: 1.84 (5th in the NHL)
GA: 1.04 (1st in the NHL)

6th fewest shots against, 2nd fewest high danger chances against and the fewest overall scoring chances given up in the league under Keefe? I'd say Hutch is feeling better about his next start. Guessing he gives up 2, maybe 3 if Buffalo gets more than 2 PKs?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Like I posted in another thread, here are team defence numbers and NHL rank over the time since Keefe took over:

5v5 Defence/60 (lower being better of course):

CA: 46.64 (3rd in the NHL)
SA: 25.77 (6th in the NHL)
SCA: 19.85 (1st in the NHL)
HDCA: 6.81 (2nd in the NHL)
xGA: 1.84 (5th in the NHL)
GA: 1.04 (1st in the NHL)

6th fewest shots against, 2nd fewest high danger chances against and the fewest overall scoring chances given up in the league under Keefe? I'd say Hutch is feeling better about his next start. Guessing he gives up 2, maybe 3 if Buffalo gets more than 2 PKs?

Exactly this. I mean I don't think Hutch is a good or above average goalie by any means but if the team plays the way they did in the last 3 games, he should have an extremely good chance of winning and a much better game overall.

Good teams can win with bad/ mediocre backup goaltending. Good goaltenders can't win with bad team defense.

It's the longest standing mistake that teams still make in looking at a goaltenders raw SV% and judging them based on that as if it would be the same in all situations.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
The way I see it, chances are better for a sweep if Andy plays in Buffalo and Hutch plays at home.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree, the boys usually don't play as well offensively or defensively the second game so if you need your goalie to steal one for you, Freddy can do that much better than Hutch. Even when we had a 4-1 lead over the Habs in the 3rd period, Hutch couldn't even finish that game with a win.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
*Note about GDT:

I've made a GDT for this game on Friday. Similar to Avs game. I will upload by 10:30pm EST tonight. Someone else can do the Saturday game if they wish. If they don't I can do it as well, no worries.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Exactly this. I mean I don't think Hutch is a good or above average goalie by any means but if the team plays the way they did in the last 3 games, he should have an extremely good chance of winning and a much better game overall.

Good teams can win with bad/ mediocre backup goaltending. Good goaltenders can't win with bad team defense.

It's the longest standing mistake that teams still make in looking at a goaltenders raw SV% and judging them based on that as if it would be the same in all situations.
One of the very few things that I can say negatively about how Dubas Handled business is the dark cloud hanging over this teams head regarding back up goaltending
Now I say this in Hindsight only and I still say I would have done the exact same thing in terms of Keeping Sparks ..
Now after Sparks it’s on him ..
On a side note somewhat
Maybe Sparks would have been better suited for this team now that Babs is gone ?
Maybe we can give him a second chance?
Maybe we ca re acquire him ?
I bet you he would love that chance
Maybe with Keefe there it can be possible ?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Really hoping we win both of these and at least 3 of our next 4, of course I'd love to win all of them and keep Keefes streak going :laugh:.

Without Dahlin its definitely do-able, even with how much trouble Buffalo always gives us whether they're good or bad

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I'm kinda bout that keefe philosofy on this (worst goalie plays the easier game first) because its a tough job getting in in those tired back to back scenarios where the team is treally tired and beat up. Keefe knows bout these thangs. Babby was treal stubborn. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, but he was a man.

But yeah we already won this game. It's already over. Hutchinson and keefe bout to play their best game and the Sabres are treally beat up also and not playing good ice hockey. Not by any means. Miller, Colin is bout to be send to siberia or khl. Period. He that worst. So we already won this, the result will be something like 2-5 or 3-5, but we bout to score some beaut ice hockey goals like a bout that there. We bout it bout it some suckas would say. It's already over. The saturday one will be a tougher nut to crack.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm kinda bout that keefe philosofy on this (worst goalie plays the easier game first) because its a tough job getting in in those tired back to back scenarios where the team is treally tired and beat up. Keefe knows bout these thangs. Babby was treal stubborn. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, but he was a man.

But yeah we already won this game. It's already over. Hutchinson and keefe bout to play their best game and the Sabres are treally beat up also and not playing good ice hockey. Not by any means. Miller, Colin is bout to be send to siberia or khl. Period. He that worst. So we already won this, the result will be something like 2-5 or 3-5, but we bout to score some beaut ice hockey goals like a bout that there. We bout it bout it some suckas would say. It's already over. The saturday one will be a tougher nut to crack.

Gold... pure gold... and I agree

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hutchinson has to get that first win of the season sooner or later. Hopefully, it's here (this start). The Leafs are certainly on a roll right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Buffalo are 2-6-2 in the last 10.

Dahlin is out

Goalies Hutton and Ullmark practically identical records, Ullmark has a better sv% and shootout record

Weird things usually happen in Buffalo when we play there.

Would love to see the Leaf crowd going crazy because we are burying them.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sorry, but I gotta disagree, the boys usually don't play as well offensively or defensively the second game so if you need your goalie to steal one for you, Freddy can do that much better than Hutch. Even when we had a 4-1 lead over the Habs in the 3rd period, Hutch couldn't even finish that game with a win.

Yes that has been true so far but the Sabres are also playing B2B and they have been slumping. We also do not have much luck in Buffalo. If Sabres are going to get a split, better chance they win at home than on the road IMO.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Yes that has been true so far but the Sabres are also playing B2B and they have been slumping. We also do not have much luck in Buffalo. If Sabres are going to get a split, better chance they win at home than on the road IMO.

Okay, I see your logic and it makes sense but I think it has been decided that they will go with Hutch in Buffalo.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I remember when guys like Brodeur and Kiprusoff were money to play 70 games every year and there was never any question about how they'd play in the playoffs.

We need these points, and Andersen can handle playing a b2b.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I remember when guys like Brodeur and Kiprusoff were money to play 70 games every year and there was never any question about how they'd play in the playoffs.

We need these points, and Andersen can handle playing a b2b.
Like, you already know sire. Thangs and times have changed and these suckas is soft nowadays. Remember when in the old days and dirt mayne, even some 5 years ago mayne, these fools was playing like that 68 game still, cause they WANTED TO mayne. Like they didn't wanna miss anythang, they wanted that 71 and be the team all the time brah. Like they was the leader of that club. Like luongo and dirt, and I didn't even like luongo (mayne that captain dirt with the vanucks was LAUGHABLE), but mayne they wanted to play yeah. Brodeur and dirt. Roy. Mayne, they tough monkeys mayne. The best goalies is the ones who never wanna miss a thang. Like for them, its an automatic they play if they healthy and only in the back to back sometimes a sucka can come in with no strap on and play like the hutch is now tomorrow gon play. But yeah mayne... you already know that. Wish we'd see sometime a sucka again who only plays. Like them roys haseks belfours brodeurs and dirt. They was winners FOR REAL MAYNE. FOR REAL.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
9 pts in 16 games for a league min contract for a guy w experience is pretty good. But he's not better than JVR right now even if he's struggling a bit this season. I honestly think Gauthier, Spezza, Engvall, Timashov, and Moore should be on a rotational basis once everyone is healthy. But we should keep them all right now. Only ones who are redundant and should see the door are petan and shore.

JT, Matty, Marner, Willy, Kerfoot, Kapanen, Mikheyev, Hyman, Johnsson. I think I got everyone on the top 9. Moore should probably play regularly, adds a lot of grit. Spezza and Goat can rotate. Engvall and Timashov can rotate until one grabs the position by the horns (which imo will be Engvall, at least for now). Yea Spezza has been decent but he's also 36 years old. If we want him to be fresh and blasting away in the playoffs we need to manage his games played. I think it's the smart thing to do and it wouldn't surprise me if Keefe goes for something like this w Spezza and Goat, because even though it's an atypical approach, I think he's willing to try new things if it logically may make sense. Thankfully doesn't seem like the type to only do something in a way just for old time's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad