Speculation: Leafs rushed the rebuild

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lou caved to AM on the rookie bonuses

So much this. Time has passed the man by and Matthews and his agent would have eaten him alive. Considering Komarov squeezed him for 3 million per year without even trying, Matthews would have gotten 15 for sure. Luckily Dubas is young, full of energy, has excellent support staff and knows how these young guys think and ended up negotiating a fair deal.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I knew they would.

They weren’t ready to add a huge UFA like Tavares. The timing they had to make a choice and I get it. I said at the time how much I hated the decision.

Here it is now proving to us all why it was the wrong one. Yes he’s a hell of player but he destroyed the cap structure on the team. Leafs should of re signed their core before going after Tavares.

That should of been priority number one not getting another high priced forward. It arguably took away 3 years of us being competitive. Can’t even imagine what the Marner contract will look like either. Fact is also Tavares was a luxury not a need at all.

Doubt Matthews contract looked like this if not for Tavares.

Reported asks for Marner 9X8 and Matthews 12.34*8 in the summer (although Matthews there was a lot of different insider opinions on what the number in the summer was but either way it was 8 years.)
[ING]https://media1.tenor.com/images/19e59b5c8fbf858885d3939e05443681/tenor.gif?itemid=4180958[/IMG]
On second thought you're right. We also shouldn't gave drafted nylander marner and Matthew's because they were too good and excellerated the rebuild timeline

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
[ING]https://media1.tenor.com/images/19e59b5c8fbf858885d3939e05443681/tenor.gif?itemid=4180958[/IMG]
On second thought you're right. We also shouldn't gave drafted nylander marner and Matthew's because they were too good and excellerated the rebuild timeline

The biggest issue is that these guys are just too good, that's where the trouble started. Drafting Nylander was fine, drafting Marner was pushing our luck a bit perhaps but still manageable but drafting Matthews was a huge mistake that we will clearly be paying for for years to come. Had we only drafted Chychrun instead of Matthews we wouldn't have any cap issues at all and our team would be better balanced to boot. But nope, we had to draft Matthews and look where we are - we're too good and our rebuild timeline is accelerated beyond when anyone thought reasonable a few short years ago.

Reactions: Raging Bull

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I knew they would.

They weren’t ready to add a huge UFA like Tavares. The timing they had to make a choice and I get it. I said at the time how much I hated the decision.

Here it is now proving to us all why it was the wrong one. Yes he’s a hell of player but he destroyed the cap structure on the team. Leafs should of re signed their core before going after Tavares.

That should of been priority number one not getting another high priced forward. It arguably took away 3 years of us being competitive. Can’t even imagine what the Marner contract will look like either. Fact is also Tavares was a luxury not a need at all.

Doubt Matthews contract looked like this if not for Tavares.

Reported asks for Marner 9X8 and Matthews 12.34*8 in the summer (although Matthews there was a lot of different insider opinions on what the number in the summer was but either way it was 8 years.)
I hate Leaf fans like you. We haven’t even hit our prime and we’re cup contenders with a team full of drafted players, What more do you want?

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
There's no doubt they did rush the rebuild and made a few mistakes along the way. Such is life with the Leafs though and they're still in a better position than they've been in as of the last couple decades. There's also never been more pressure to perform and win. They have to shed some of the "curse" stigma attached to them this post-season if they're going to instill some belief in a lot of the more realistic fans.

Anyone who say's they've done a perfect job up until now is delusional but again, they've done enough to set themselves up for a championship within a 5 year window. Management and the players have their work cut out for them, won't be easy but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. We could be Oilers fans after-all..Couldn't imagine the state of our fan-base if we screwed up that bad year after year having all those failed 1st overall picks.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The biggest issue is that these guys are just too good, that's where the trouble started. Drafting Nylander was fine, drafting Marner was pushing our luck a bit perhaps but still manageable but drafting Matthews was a huge mistake that we will clearly be paying for for years to come. Had we only drafted Chychrun instead of Matthews we wouldn't have any cap issues at all and our team would be better balanced to boot. But nope, we had to draft Matthews and look where we are - we're too good and our rebuild timeline is accelerated beyond when anyone thought reasonable a few short years ago.
You get it! Hell we probably shouldn't have drafted marner, it he was so small and scrawny he looked 20 years away from being NHL ready, so I guess I can forgive that one, but Matthew's?!!? Stupid stupid move

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs have built one of the strongest rosters in the league with the best young core and we're getting them looked up for many years ahead, and people think we rushed the rebuild. That's just amazing.
yeah, and the worst part for me is the OP saying he was right all along. Edmonton is an example of a rushed rebuild. they're still not even close to competitive, and they have long-term high value contracts to unimportant players. The Leafs are a perfect example of a rebuild done the right way and they're a top 5 team in the league, but somehow that's not good enough. it's the general idea that having too many good players is actually bad, because it will cost you a good player down the line. it's stupid

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
yeah, and the worst part for me is the OP saying he was right all along. Edmonton is an example of a rushed rebuild. they're still not even close to competitive, and they have long-term high value contracts to unimportant players. The Leafs are a perfect example of a rebuild done the right way and they're a top 5 team in the league, but somehow that's not good enough. it's the general idea that having too many good players is actually bad, because it will cost you a good player down the line. it's stupid

The cynical waffle wavers will never be happy. Their glass is always empty.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Wait, how would the Leafs be a better team today without Matthews? You wanted the Leafs to draft Chychrun at #1 overall instead of Matthews? WHAT!?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wait, how would the Leafs be a better team today without Matthews? You wanted the Leafs to draft Chychrun at #1 overall instead of Matthews? WHAT!?

We wouldn't be better but we wouldn't have these annoying cap issues that has everyone up in arms and we could rebuild at a more leisurely pace. I've been waiting for a proper rebuild for about 40 years now, I'm in no rush. It's more important to me that as a fan base we all get along which clearly isn't the case now, first it was the Nylander contract, now Matthews ... before we maybe weren't a good team but at least we all got along for the most part. Was that really so bad?

Reactions: dsred

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know, other teams must be so glad that they don’t need to worry about paying their untalented roster and be forever in Cap Heaven.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I hate Leaf fans like you. We haven’t even hit our prime and we’re cup contenders with a team full of drafted players, What more do you want?
Imagine somehow we have not made the playoffs the last two years and drafted Dahlin and Pettersson. We will still end up facing Cap Crunch but that’s okay bc JT and Muzzin are not as good as the other two.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
How dare Dubas build this team into a contender sitting 2nd in the east conference.We should drag him behind my pick up truck. :sarcasm:

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
We didnt rush it. However, signing Marleau, Martin and Zaitsev to dumb contracts was the bigger issue. Also, i wonder if Dubas wouldve thrown away two 2nd round picks for 4th line centres. Thankfully we got out under the Martin contract. In addition, wouldve preferred to trade our own rentals last year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We wouldn't be better but we wouldn't have these annoying cap issues that has everyone up in arms and we could rebuild at a more leisurely pace. I've been waiting for a proper rebuild for about 40 years now, I'm in no rush. It's more important to me that as a fan base we all get along which clearly isn't the case now, first it was the Nylander contract, now Matthews ... before we maybe weren't a good team but at least we all got along for the most part. Was that really so bad?
Need a hug or something? Or we can just start a Jays thread where they are rebuilding .

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It's going to be a fun 5 years. Was hoping for longer deals.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
In short, you are saying they couldn’t get a deal done in the summer bc teams are all lowballing but Dubas is the Light for them bc he is young and will make a mistake by overpaying Leafs players.
The fact that they(players and agents) are all betting on this year productions, the fact that none of the teams are even offering remotely what their clients want, the threat of OS on July 1st as well as an expected higher cap in 2019 vs 2018 had nothing to do it. Everything evolves around what Dubas and the Leafs are going to do.

I would suggest you read ALL my posts on the subject, they come highly recommended.

I stated previously that there are a combination of factors. Our young GM getting played by agents is one factor, albeit a major one.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Yes, it was bad then and its very good now, who cares if fans don't agree? Pretty boring on here when everyone agrees.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Tavares signing is responsible for driving up Leafs salaries as his becomes a measuring stick for Leafs internal pay scale.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I would suggest you read ALL my posts on the subject, they come highly recommended.

I stated previously that there are a combination of factors. Our young GM getting played by agents is one factor, albeit a major one.
The fact is none of the RFAs signed any deals since they are available starting July 1, 2018. Collectively it means they are all playing hardballs and believe OS can help them gain more leverage.
Now I am not suggesting Dubas signed great deals but they just might be market value. We laughed at the Eichel deal two years ago but now it looks like it was a good deal bc if Eichel is a RFA this season, he would
Have gotten more than 10mil/yr.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lou had a policy of not giving all the bonuses in rookie deals and Matthews was the first.

Doesn't matter if all the GMs would have done the same. Simple fact is Matthews made Lou break his policy.
Didn’t know that till now. Always thought it was being drafted 1st overall, like the NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->