Speculation: Leafs rushed the rebuild

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Other than all these player friendly contracts that have been handed out recently the only mistakes this team has made was not trading JVR, Bozak, Leo at the deadline and Gards this past off season. Leafs would be flush with picks and prospects but now our depth is gonna suffer in the medium and long term.
Asset management can knock years off your team.

JVR walk
Gardiner walk
Kadri is he an own rental to walk?
Muzzin if he won’t re-sign that’s a 1st + Grundstrom

Doesn’t seem like much to people because it’s sneaky spread out but it adds up.
If you know you aren’t keeping guys due to Cap management, deal them for players that work in your Cap structure.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Rebuild wasn't at all rushed. We're by all accounts one of the deepest most talented teams in the NHL, and absolutely ready to compete for the Stanley Cup at the moment.

The RFA contracts have been bungled though, no doubt about it. Some combination of not getting these done early (e.g. Marner especially has had his value skyrocket since the summer), and bending during the Nylander negotiations - setting the standard that the Leafs WILL overpay and WILL set new market rates for RFAs.

Wheels02

Jun 8, 2018
I think some of you are
underestimating Nylander, Marner and Matthews. What if they really do end up being THAT good and they succeed expectations? What if we win a cup or two in the next few years or heck even this year? Get back to me in a few years and then complain if you want, but we are in a position to win in the foreseeable future.

The culture of the Toronto Maple Leafs has changed for the better. Remember if we lose some players it's OKAY. We are now a desirable place for guys IN THEIR PRIME to go.

We need some positivity here

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I knew they would.

They weren’t ready to add a huge UFA like Tavares. The timing they had to make a choice and I get it. I said at the time how much I hated the decision.

Here it is now proving to us all why it was the wrong one. Yes he’s a hell of player but he destroyed the cap structure on the team. Leafs should of re signed their core before going after Tavares.

That should of been priority number one not getting another high priced forward. It arguably took away 3 years of us being competitive. Can’t even imagine what the Marner contract will look like either. Fact is also Tavares was a luxury not a need at all.

Doubt Matthews contract looked like this if not for Tavares.

Reported asks for Marner 9X8 and Matthews 12.34*8 in the summer (although Matthews there was a lot of different insider opinions on what the number in the summer was but either way it was 8 years.)
Rushed it?
They've made the playoffs both years since drafting Matthews. They've added two 4th line centres. Then the best UFA perhaps of all time is available and WANTS to come to Toronto? An elite #1 C. There are teams begging to have one #1 centre and we have two.
What are you supposed to say? No Thanks John. Even though we're making the playoffs, we feel like if we sign you we may lose some grinders. Sorry.

Reactions: Its not your fault

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Canucks fan here in peace. I'm shaking my head at this thread. You have too many good players? Gee, sounds terrible. We *wish* we had your problems.

Reactions: Erdinger

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Should this team win the cup. This board will get so many bumps of posts from people freaking out and spouting nonsense. Rushed the process lol.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The rebuild was rushed for sure.

We have a tiny 5 year window with below average D and 1 LW. Non-contact wingers.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Kadri 09’ draft
Rielly 12’ draft - instead of Michael Dal Colle
Nylander 14’ draft - instead of Jake Virtanen
Marner 15’ draft - instead of Jesse Pularvi
Matthews 16’ draft - instead of RNH or Nail Yakupov
Tavares 18’ FA - instead of Loui Erickson for 6m

Yep. I've edited this to show all the things the Leafs *could* have done instead (players they could have picked/signed instead). The Leafs have made good decisions and have built a contender. This is what it looks like. Enjoy!

Reactions: Paradoc

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I wish Travars who is not the highest paid player in the league went to San Jose who over in turn pays an extra 2 million for him. Making Matthews take a 12.5 million dollar deal. We still have no Muzzen or Travars.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

We have a tiny 5 year window with below average D and 1 LW. Non-contact wingers.

Pittsburgh says hi. They won two recent cups with Letang and a bunch of scrubs on D.
A "five year window" sounds pretty nice to me.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yep. I've edited this to show all the things the Leafs *could* have done instead (players they could have picked/signed instead). The Leafs have made good decisions and have built a contender. This is what it looks like. Enjoy!
That’s what good management does. I’m sure if they ever have cap issues they will find a way to get around it.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Canucks fan here in peace. I'm shaking my head at this thread. You have too many good players? Gee, sounds terrible. We *wish* we had your problems.
Like what the heck right. We are embarrassing to read as a thread. So much negativity every possible scenario that could go wrong is going to go wrong for us so we have to get all up in arms when none of us have any idea what's going on. The sky's going to fall and people just want to be there to be like see I was right I guessed somthing like this would happen make me GM of a team I'm a real gud pro.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Asset management can knock years off your team.

JVR walk
Gardiner walk
Kadri is he an own rental to walk?
Muzzin if he won’t re-sign that’s a 1st + Grundstrom

Doesn’t seem like much to people because it’s sneaky spread out but it adds up.
If you know you aren’t keeping guys due to Cap management, deal them for players that work in your Cap structure.

You need to take chances to win the Cup.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
You realize the old days of rebuilding doesnt work anymore right? You are basically looking at a 5-7 year window at best if everything falls in place.

People are going crazy up in here

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
The only mistake was making dubas gm. Everything was going great until he ruined our future with the Nylander and Matthews deals.

Dubas was also the same idiot in charge of the Kessel deal, which everyone ignores

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Below average D with Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin, sitting top 5 in GA. :rolleyes:

How on earth does anyone in their right mind try to say our defense isn't good enough? Complete nonsense. THEY'RE TOP 5!

Reactions: SprDaVE

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
The only mistake was making dubas gm. Everything was going great until he ruined our future with the Nylander and Matthews deals.
Ruined isn't the word.
He overpaid so we have less player options going forward.
Our cup chances in the next 5 years go from 25% to 20%.

Dubas was also the same idiot in charge of the Kessel deal, which everyone ignores
We had to get rid of Kessel.
and we got Kapanen.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Man, we should have got lottery picks and rebuilt along the Edmonton model. We would still have to manage the cap, but at least we could look forward to the draft.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Below average D with Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin, sitting top 5 in GA. :rolleyes:

How on earth does anyone in their right mind try to say our defense isn't good enough? Complete nonsense. THEY'RE TOP 5!
I guess you are unaware of the goalie being the factor ?

Not to mention simple facts .... nothing matters but simple things like this:

1) Do we have a team to beat Boston ?
2) Do we have a team to beat Tampa Bay ?

Muzzin really helps with 1). 2 ?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Some people are just crazy.

Our D right now is probably top 10 in the league how it sits today. This is not including some really good dmen in the AHL and throughout the system that are developing. Pair that with the teams offensive talent, there is no reason why this team cannot compete for a Stanley Cup over the next 5 years. Also keep in mind that we still have some offensive pieces in the minors that are developing and will be NHL caliber bottom six forwards in the next year or two.

To say we rushed is inexcusable. Stupidest thread I have seen on these boards in a long time.

We currently sit in the top 5 in the NHL how we are built. That isn't rushing a rebuild when you still have the 3rd youngest team in the NHL and are still top 5.

Give your heads a shake people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad