Speculation: Leafs rushed the rebuild

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Leafs87, Feb 5, 2019.

1. LEAFANFORLIFE23

LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

Personally I don't like wingers taking faceoffs especially on the PK, Hyman isn't bad at it but I'd still rather have a natural center taking those draws because with a winger taking faceoffs you will ALWAYS be at a disadvantage.

Glendening fixes that

2. Ragnar Lothbrok

Ragnar Lothbrok Registered User

Leafs made the playoffs last year with Bozak as the #2/3 centre. I swear Tavares' Legend grows everyday in Leaf land - remind me again what has Tavares actually won ?

hotpaws likes this.
  3. Leafs87

Leafs87 Mr. Steal Your Job

That 4th line we can fill cheap with a good player in the offseason rather than paying Glendening 2 mill when we’re already bleeding in the cap department

Usually 4th line quality UFAs are available and you might even find a vet who wants a cup shot come in dirt cheap.

Just duct tape it through the playoffs. Please no more knee jerk reactions like signing that Matthews deal. No reason that couldn’t wait if that was Matthews best price. An offer sheet would be almost impossible for a team to realistically facilitate and come out ahead.

You can’t just think of this season and I especially wouldn’t because there’s too many holes on the team keeping them from true contention. Plus there’s many other better teams even Tampa within our own division, then there’s always Boston this year. Making the leafs clear cut best would literally gut the future.

Just ride it out in the playoffs and see what happens maybe they get lucky. I doubt many predicted Pits the first year they won

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. LEAFANFORLIFE23

LEAFANFORLIFE23 Registered User

That's the thing as far as the east goes there aren't nany better teams there is Toronto and Tampa and that's pretty much it.

As far as the west goes there isn't a team I don't think they Can't beat.

Tampa, Tampa is the obstacle

5. The Podium

The Podium Registered User

I thought Goat has been fantastic the last 10-15 games. Not a fan of Lindholm though.

6. Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske 안양종합운동장 빙상장

And people wonder why we have bad reps on the main boards...

7. Sherpaderp

Sherpaderp Registered User

Why are people suggesting they're going to trade Nylander to get kapanen or Johansson? That's not going to happen. If they have to depart with when of those guys, so be it. Every top team in the league has to depart with guys they don't want to. Such is life under the salary cap.

8. Notsince67

Notsince67 Papi and the Lamplighters

JT has been the best forward. Most consistent and brings it every game. Only a blind person would think differently.

9. Its not your fault

Its not your fault Registered User

Everyteam plays the game to win besides tanking teams and they tryed to curb that with lottery picks. We lost to a team that is trying to win. This happens the sky's not falling.

10. HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL Window open for 5 years

Nylander to blame there

11. daveleaf

daveleaf Registered User

You guys kill me. So we rushed the rebuild....and a few years back it was being said Toronto fans could not handle a rebuild. The irony!!

Leafs are fine. You guys like to reach for straws and throw arrows at guys. If anything, this team was devoid of medium to lower round successes in the draft from previous regimes. Sure we had Reily, Kadri and Nylander but what else? JVR for Schenn?

This takes time. Once Dermott takes another step and Sandin and Lilly progress a little further we are what we are. A very very strong centre and forward core and a little weak on the back end. Zaitsev should not be on the ice under a couple of mins in a game and that was evident in Montreal. Dubas will have to find a home for him as well as making the d-core better. Other than that....this is our team and I think they can win a cup in the near future. They have to grow now and become playoff tested.

12. daveleaf

daveleaf Registered User

I agree. Some people seem to lack the insight of what a quality veteran player can bring to this team. Marriner has been great but JT has gotten to spots where a play can be made, like Saturday night. JT was a great add.

13. hotpaws

hotpaws Registered User

only a blind person doesn't see who's driving that line and creating the majority of the scoring chances as well as the player who's above the puck in he O zone in a position of support if/when the puck turns over and goes the other way

14. hotpaws

hotpaws Registered User

JT basically hangs around down low near the net like he always has while Marner creates the play , they benefit each other and that has nothing to do with JT being a vet .

the ot goal Sat night was created by Marner sucking two guys to him and opening ice for JT to be open when he drove the net , beauty shot but without Marner creating the play the goal doesn't happen

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. Matthews34

Matthews34 Registered User

I have to agree with this. If Matthews is worth 11.63 million now how much is he going to be worth if he actually wins a trophy or two over the next 5 years? 16? 18? 20? Matthews will not be a Leaf at the of his contract. Anybody who says this is a team friendly deal and not massive over pay on the part of Dubas is delusional.

16. Ragnar Lothbrok

Ragnar Lothbrok Registered User

I think Matthews is gone to Arizona after this deal. But, hey at least we'll have an old and overpaid Tavares. /s

17. GoonieFace

GoonieFace Registered User

There is no overpay or underpay. He paid him what he had to pay him. Trying to lowball your potential franchise Centre is not a good tactic.

Not sure why everyone thinks they know better and could have negotiated a better deal.

SAMCRO44 likes this.
  18. Leafs87

Leafs87 Mr. Steal Your Job

Tampa is better. They’re almost like a better version of us. Although when our stars mature I think we can go toe to toe.

Boston and Washington are a diffiuclt matchup for Toronto too

19. 2022 Stanley Cup

2022 Stanley Cup Registered User

Student
    Serious question. If you were playing a game like NHL 15 when the Leafs fully bottomed out and you looked at that roster the day you opened the game in September 2014 and then compared it to the roster currently in NHL 19, how many people would be upset with that? It's basically a 4.5 year difference so I'd say a 5 year plan worked out so far. Also, I don't believe "rushing" a rebuild is how it workd when it puts a team in a clear 5+ year championship window. I'm going to have to disagree with the OP.

20. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

It's not going to happen.

21. Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13 Registered User

By then we will have McDavid coming home. Using your logic here.

22. Trapper

Trapper Registered User

Leafs just need to complete the build. It’s not rushed but not finished IMO.

You build down the middle, on D and in goal.

Currently:

Down the middle (success)
    Matthews
    Tavares
    Kadri
    4C Lindholm/Goat/Glendening? it’s good

D (weak on the right side, ability to shut down opponent cycle and withstand physical element in question).

Left D
    Rielly
    Muzzin
    Gardiner
    Dermott
    Hainsey

Right D
    Zaitsev
    Oz

Goal (success)
    Andersen

Wingers (good blend of skill, aggression, forecheck, physical, speed is lacking).
    Too many passive or white collar wingers.
    Marleau,Nylander,Marner,Johnsson,Kapanen.
    While some do their best to forecheck, they are much too light, easily knocked around and beaten in puck battles down low and on the wall. 1 or 2 need to change. Missing blue collar, hard ahead drivers.

Support in Hyman/Brown/Moore is fine.

23. dsred

dsred Babcock- Flushing seasons away since 2008

Would you negotiate with Lou if you knew you had a new softie as a GM coming p?

24. horner

horner Registered User

The only thing we should have done last was trade jvr and bozak.

To me we werent ready for the playoffs.

Could have used those assets to grab a dman.

dsred likes this.
  25. LindrosLeafs88

LindrosLeafs88 Adjustments??? “Diig inn” Sponsor

I for one miss the days of being a borderline bubble team and trying to figure out the cap problems.. should’ve tried harder to keep guys like Clarkson and bolland at 5+

Monsieur Gustave H likes this.