Leafs Roster analysis - Defense - Jake Gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

I will be going through our roster and injured players and we will determine the players role... i.e Kessel (Elite winger) vs (1A winger) vs (1B winger) vs (2A winger)

This is not determining their role for the team, but what they're capable of on a playoff team. I'll only be putting what in my mind are "realistic" options.

Term definitions:

Elite: Top 5 in their position
1A: 1st line/1st pairing/#1 Goalie
1B: Able to fill in 1st line/1st pairing/Average Starter
2A: 2nd line/2nd pairing/Back-up
2B: Able to fill in 2nd line/2nd pairing/Too good for AHL Starter but not proven
3A: 3rd line/3rd pairing
3B Able to fill in 3rd line/3rd pairing
4A 4th line
4B: Able to fill in 4th line
Scratch: 13th player/7th dman
AHL player: Self explanatory

I'll be starting from the net out.

Goaltending

James Reimer 1B
Ben Scrivens 2A

Defense

Cody Franson 2B
Mark Fraser 3A
Jake Gardiner
Carl Gunnarsson
Korbinian Holzer
Mike Komisarek
Michael Kostka
John-Michael Liles
Dion Phaneuf

Forwards

Tyler Bozak
Matt Frattin
Mikhail Grabovski
Nazem Kadri
Phil Kessel
Leo Komarov
Nikolai Kulemin
Joffrey Lupul
Clarke MacArthur
Jay Mcclement
Frazer McLaren
Colton Orr
David Steckel
James Van Riemsdyk

Keep me aware of errors please.

leafspring*

1B FOR NOW. defensive inconsistancies need to be worked on. no hurry,and is a quality player that is simply not being rushed.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Gardiner has the ability and skillset to be a Niedermayer-type defense man, but he needs to get bigger and stronger in order to be a forceful player in his own end.
He currently doesn't play hard enough on the puck for Carlyle-hockey.
This is a perfect example of a great player with limited ability to fill a role on the roster.

I would say for right now Gards is a 3A dman but if he bulks up and starts playing better defensively, he'd easily be a 2A.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
I voted 2A and I though I was being pretty ****ing generous considering he's not even on the team right now, christ.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He's not a 1A because he's in the minors. Hard for him to be a #1 defenseman playing in the AHL.. He's got concussion issues but he's not a 1A yet.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
He can't even outplay komisarek for a press box job to prove he deserves to be on the team. And Unlike frattin nonis and carlyle doesn't think enough of Gardiner to move a player to make room for him. THat should tell you something there

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
He can't even outplay komisarek for a press box job to prove he deserves to be on the team. And Unlike frattin nonis and carlyle doesn't think enough of Gardiner to move a player to make room for him. THat should tell you something there

Carlyle has Holzer in the lineup (even after his bad games), that should tell you something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad