Leafs Roster analysis - Defense - Carl Gunnarsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

I will be going through our roster and injured players and we will determine the players role... i.e Kessel (Elite winger) vs (1A winger) vs (1B winger) vs (2A winger)

This is not determining their role for the team, but what they're capable of on a playoff team. I'll only be putting what in my mind are "realistic" options.

Term definitions:

Elite: Top 5 in their position
1A: 1st line/1st pairing/#1 Goalie
1B: Able to fill in 1st line/1st pairing/Average Starter
2A: 2nd line/2nd pairing/Back-up
2B: Able to fill in 2nd line/2nd pairing/Too good for AHL Starter but not proven
3A: 3rd line/3rd pairing
3B Able to fill in 3rd line/3rd pairing
4A 4th line
4B: Able to fill in 4th line
Scratch: 13th player/7th dman
AHL player: Self explanatory

I'll be starting from the net out.

Goaltending

James Reimer 1B
Ben Scrivens 2A

Defense

Cody Franson 2B
Mark Fraser 3A
Jake Gardiner
Carl Gunnarsson
Korbinian Holzer
Mike Komisarek
Michael Kostka
John-Michael Liles
Dion Phaneuf

Forwards

Tyler Bozak
Matt Frattin
Mikhail Grabovski
Nazem Kadri
Phil Kessel
Leo Komarov
Nikolai Kulemin
Joffrey Lupul
Clarke MacArthur
Jay Mcclement
Frazer McLaren
Colton Orr
David Steckel
James Van Riemsdyk

Keep me aware of errors please.

Lucky Leaf

**** the oilers
Jan 5, 2012
Toronto
GPE29d7.jpg

member 147413

A mod contacted me, I'll only be putting up a new thread if/once I get an ok. The older ones ( Reims/Scrivens/Franson/Fraser) will start getting closed.

I'm sorry to the mods and posters if I've caused any issues, I wasn't sure how to approach this idea and it was my mistake for not contacting a mod.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Why do people care so much if this guy has a few threads open for discussion on specific players? It's not really a big deal at all

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Phaneuf + Aulie = "Wow, Aulie is amazing!! Best part of the Phaneuf trade!!"
Phaneuf + Kostka = "Huh?? How did this guy not make the NHL before now?"
Phaneuf + Holzer = "Kid should've been playing NHL minutes last year instead of Komisarek."
Phaneuf + Gunnarsson = "We drafted a gem with this guy!"

Anyone else able to see the trend here? Gunnarsson lost his pony-ride on the Phaneuf pairing and has looked dismal, thanks to a "hip injury" that "just won't go away..."

3A or 3B

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Phaneuf + Holzer = "Kid should've been playing NHL minutes last year instead of Komisarek."

Anyone else able to see the trend here? Gunnarsson lost his pony-ride on the Phaneuf pairing and has looked dismal, thanks to a "hip injury" that "just won't go away..."

3A or 3B

He's looked a lot better since that Ottawa game, and I'm not sure I've ever heard or read that quote, even paraphrased regarding Holzer. The general consensus regarding him is that he should be demoted and Gardiner be called up. Gunnarsson is a solid, steady defensive dman, and still fairly young to boot.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
He's looked a lot better since that Ottawa game, and I'm not sure I've ever heard or read that quote, even paraphrased regarding Holzer. The general consensus regarding him is that he should be demoted and Gardiner be called up. Gunnarsson is a solid, steady defensive dman, and still fairly young to boot.

No one said that about Kostka either.

Gunnar played huge minutes with Beauch when he first broke on to the scene as well.

He is criminally underrated on here. Besides Phaneuf, he's the only guy who can reasonably play in all situations- ES, PP, PK.

He is a 1B/2A IMO. And yes, he has had a bit of a rough season this year before and after the injury.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC

3A or 3B

I'd really like to see Dion and Gunnar paired up again. Gunnar had Dion's back, allowing him to be on the prowl for hits and offensive opportunities.

Skeptix

Jun 5, 2010
No one said that about Kostka either.

Gunnar played huge minutes with Beauch when he first broke on to the scene as well.

He is criminally underrated on here. Besides Phaneuf, he's the only guy who can reasonably play in all situations- ES, PP, PK.

He is a 1B/2A IMO. And yes, he has had a bit of a rough season this year before and after the injury.

People were all over Kostka's d***. Being blind would be a requirement to not have seen that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->