Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Sparks to a 1 year 750k contract

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Are we seriously arguing about a backup being ok vs good? They are backups for a reason. Management went with the cost controlled asset for the very situation this thread is about- the ability to re-sign someone that's been in your organization on the cheap. McElhinney will sign for 1.5+ after this season, something the Leafs cannot afford to do with their situation next season. They thought 2 steps ahead, and even though Sparks has disappointed, he has managed to stay afloat.

Anyways, it's sad that this type of stuff gets so much freaking attention. I'll take Andersen/Sparks over Toskala/Raycroft and Reimer/Bernier, but no, let's piss out pants online over paying a backup goalie almost league minimum.

When two teams in your division (the top two, by the way) can have their goaltenders be out for a long period of time - and not miss a beat - then I do think it stands to reason that you have to have faith in your back up goaltender to do the same thing - do you not agree? and I'm sorry. I don't have that feeling of security with Sparks.

I haven't said anything about Dubas signing Sparks to a cheap contract. it's the league minimum. I haven't argued against it (because whatever), I haven't argued for it (because I really don't care).

what you quoted me on, was me replying to someone how the decision was a good one to keep sparks. It wasn't. that's my opinion. if McBackup wanted 1.2 mill we say goodbye to him at the end of the year - and we find another steady older goaltender who wouldn't mind taking less to be on a good team - while finding/drafting/developing a younger goalie who would be ready to take over as #1. that's all i've been saying.) - and I don't understand how that's apparently a taboo topic simply because it's "the back up" position.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Um no. He would have to clear waivers and he 100% would get claimed. That was a huge factor in keeping him as our backup.
I'd say there is less chance now. As an anecdote to this sentiment, you hear more and more feedback from around the league that goalie coaches think he's horribly flawed and not an NHL goalie...was discussed today on Leafs Lunch as well. I'd say his stock is less now than at the beginning of the year when he was the hot shot AHL top goalie.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Calgary it is this years starter that is worse.
The caps backup is far better he has played in 23 games and is 14-4 with .901. SAN Jose their back up has a worse sv percentage in many more minutes. So perhaps SAN Jose has gotten worse back up goaltending

Noting the Caps backup is far better, and your evidence is.... he has a .901 SV percentage, compared to Sparks 0.902.... the win/loss record, is as much the teams, as the player.... so, maybe not the best argument?

Look, I'm firmly in the camp, that Sparks hasn't been good enough to be depended on. I don't know if he can improve, or not... though his style says no. I don't think it's a bad deal or signing though.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The doctors medically clear a player to play not the coach. Babcock has confirmed that a million times, it's not his decision. He was back on the playing roster as soon as he was medically cleared.

I don't care about your armchair doctor conspiracy theories that he was actually healthy and being held out of games.
Doctor must have missed the big hole he has

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Sparks should have his own book...

"Stinks at any price."

51jqxHuvdoL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Many reporters were questioning why he wasn't cleared when he was taking pucks to the head in practice. It isn't a conspiracy theory.
Exactly. Why that is so hard to understand I can not explain.

Seeking Medical clearence before Andy was ready to come back saved Sparks some embarrassment. Hutch was going to play ahead of him.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Are we seriously arguing about a backup being ok vs good? They are backups for a reason. Management went with the cost controlled asset for the very situation this thread is about- the ability to re-sign someone that's been in your organization on the cheap. McElhinney will sign for 1.5+ after this season, something the Leafs cannot afford to do with their situation next season. They thought 2 steps ahead, and even though Sparks has disappointed, he has managed to stay afloat.

Anyways, it's sad that this type of stuff gets so much freaking attention. I'll take Andersen/Sparks over Toskala/Raycroft and Reimer/Bernier, but no, let's piss out pants online over paying a backup goalie almost league minimum.

Hey you... stop making perfect sense lol

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Many reporters were questioning why he wasn't cleared when he was taking pucks to the head in practice. It isn't a conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Any examples?

I don't remember anyone talking about him taking pucks to the head after he was injured. Other than the pucks that injured him in the first place obviously.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Any examples?

I don't remember anyone talking about him taking pucks to the head after he was injured. Other than the pucks that injured him in the first place obviously.
He was taking shots, Shilton and someone else talked about at practice. I'm not saying he was taking them to the head but they were surprised he was taking real shots if he had a concussion .

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

Leaf fans meltdown in 3...2...

Leafs Nation lament means Dubas big brains working well
Losing lights out at AHL goalie like Sparks?
Typical Leafs Nation "Lets lose young up and coming players to other teams so they can hoist the cup elsewhere" hell
Need to keep the future Vezna trophy winner, unless you find the Leafs hogging skill and talent a big problem, as many in Leafs Nation seem to, and would like to redistribute the Leafs excessive skill, like Karl Marx

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm not a fan of Sparks, and wish we had kept McBackup. I even think Hutch would be a better guy for the backup job this season. But, even still, re-signing Sparks now with a cheap cap-hit is the right move.

I mean, he's here. He's in the organization. Why wouldn't you give him an extension? No reason to let another backup goalie go, after losing 2 at the start of the year. Dubas can still go out and find someone better, if there is someone better at our budget. So who can complain?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leafs Nation lament means Dubas big brains working well
Losing lights out at AHL goalie like Sparks?
Typical Leafs Nation "Lets lose young up and coming players to other teams so they can hoist the cup elsewhere" hell
Need to keep the future Vezna trophy winner, unless you find the Leafs hogging skill and talent a big problem, as many in Leafs Nation seem to, and would like to redistribute the Leafs excessive skill, like Karl Marx

Sparks wont be lifting any NHL hardware of his own merit. He is the ultimate benefactor. The system works for those who control know how to work the system.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas is doubling down on his decision despite it not working out so well for the Leafs as Sparks posts a 3.09 GAA and .902 sv% with a 7-5-1 record.

This as McElhinney has a record of 17-7-2 this year with a 2.31 GAA & .921 sv% and making $850k.

Going with Sparks over McBackup likely going to cost the Leafs home ice in the playoffs and that could be the difference between winning and losing a round.

What's the rush to get Sparks resigned now, as Leafs might be seeking a better backup next year?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Going with Sparks over McBackup likely going to cost the Leafs home ice in the playoffs and that could be the difference between winning and losing a round.

I keep hearing this, but how about the number of games they didn't start on time, or looked awful playing uninspired hockey!? Sparks has 5 losses
Some take any chance they can to take a shot at Dubas

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Interesting stats
I'm not a Sparks fan and never have been, and I don't even think he'll be around next year, or if he is, not for very long

Leafs lack goaltending depth and he's here for now

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I keep hearing this, but how about the number of games they didn't start on time, or looked awful playing uninspired hockey!? Sparks has 5 losses
Some take any chance they can to take a shot at Dubas

Some of those 7 wins for Sparks came as a result of Leafs scoring 7 and 6 goals to compensate for the 6 and 5 goals against he surrendered.

If you need to win games 7-6 in OT or 6-5 so the goalie can record a win, I see that as weak goaltending despite the end result.

I would have hoped Leafs would have explored more options as backup including Mike Hutch perhaps and waited until the offseason to commit another year to Sparks. Personally walking away and not qualifying Sparks to keep him might also have been a reasonable outcome. IMO

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Some of those 7 wins for Sparks came as a result of Leafs scoring 7 and 6 goals to compensate for the 6 and 5 goals against he surrendered.

If you need to win games 7-6 in OT or 6-5 so the goalie can record a win, I see that as weak goaltending despite the end result.

I would have hoped Leafs would have explored more options as backup including Mike Hutch perhaps and waited until the offseason to commit another year to Sparks. Personally walking away and not qualifying Sparks to keep him might also have been a reasonable outcome. IMO

Why not use the actual numbers instead of "some".

He's had a below 0.930 save percentage and allowed more than two goals in only two of his seven wins (0.867/4 goals and 0.806/6 goals). However, in one of his losses he posted a 0.929 and the team in front of him couldn't score more than one (and just barely put 20 shots on net). So netting those out, the Leafs' offense has only earned him two of his 15 points (i.e., they earned him four but cost him two in one of his losses). Take those points away and he has 13 points in 13 starts, which is pretty average for a backup.

Why would this contract mean they're done exploring other options in net? I would bet there will be a few goalies coming into camp next year on buriable <$1 million contracts

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why not use the actual numbers instead of "some".

He's had a below 0.930 save percentage and allowed more than two goals in only two of his seven wins (0.867/4 goals and 0.806/6 goals). However, in one of his losses he posted a 0.929 and the team in front of him couldn't score. So netting those out, the Leafs' offense has only earned him two of his 15 points (i.e., they earned him four but cost him two in one of his losses).

Why would this contract mean they're done exploring other options in net? I would bet there will be a few goalies coming into camp next year on buriable <$1 million contracts

So why the rush to sign Sparks now?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
So why the rush to sign Sparks now?

Why not get it done when his value is at an all time low? It's not like he can get much cheaper than $750k. If anything the risk (no matter how small) is he finishes the season strong, or god forbid Andersen goes down and Sparks turns into Matt Murray. Then we're looking at a couple $ million. Additionally, the more contracts Dubas gets done the more certainty he has about what the team can afford for Johnsson, Kapanen, and Marner.

It's a nothing contract with virtually zero risk to the team.

Reactions: meng666

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->