Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Sparks to a 1 year 750k contract

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
The worst that can happen with this is that Marlies might get back the best goaltender in the AHL.

There's absolutely no reason not to sign this contract.

Um no. He would have to clear waivers and he 100% would get claimed. That was a huge factor in keeping him as our backup.

Reactions: Oley49

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Huh? Sparks never backed up Hutch. He was injured on January 2nd, the day before Hutch's first start with the Leafs on January 3rd and wasn't medically cleared until January 13th when he returned as the backup in the same game that Andersen returned from injury.
When did I say he backed up Hutch. I said he was healthy and did not play. Babs took him off of the injury list the same day that Andy was coming back.

Sparks was practicing with the Leafs more then once before he was back in as a backup.

Reactions: DarkKnight

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Hes 7-5 with .902 sv%. Which is the same as both CGY goalies. He is getting better as yr goes on. His biggest flaw is rebound control..he let's far too many juicy ones. If he can figure that out he will be a lot better. I know his last game all but 1 goal were screens and tips, and the one where I D left a guy all alone. Hes no Freddy but he isn't as bad as many say

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Um no. He would have to clear waivers and he 100% would get claimed. That was a huge factor in keeping him as our backup.

If he doesn't do a good job this season he's certainly not 100% getting claimed

They have a full NHL backup season of experience with him now and have a much better idea of what he is at the NHL level

I very much presume that he's going to have some competition in camp next season and he's going to have to earn his spot or he's getting waivers

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
When did I say he backed up Hutch. I said he was healthy and did not play. Babs took him off of the injury list the same day that Andy was coming back.

Sparks was practicing with the Leafs more then once before he was back in as a backup.

The doctors medically clear a player to play not the coach. Babcock has confirmed that a million times, it's not his decision. He was back on the playing roster as soon as he was medically cleared.

I don't care about your armchair doctor conspiracy theories that he was actually healthy and being held out of games.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The doctors medically clear a player to play not the coach. Babcock has confirmed that a million times, it's not his decision. He was back on the playing roster as soon as he was medically cleared.

I don't care about your armchair doctor conspiracy theories that he was actually healthy and being held out of games.

Doesn't take a Doctor to see he's not very good which is really what it comes down to.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Don’t mind this. By no means an endorsement, or guarantee of any kind for next year.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
it was never the right move to make at the time.
the only people who ever thought that was beating the "ooh but he's young !" drum or the "oh but he's the AHL goalie of the year!" drum. to which - per usual, I said (and asked)

Why does it matter?
the only reason that it matters - is that the organization/you see Sparks as someone to take over Andersen when his contract expires - thus you are grooming him for that role. which would be fine, but does anything in Sparks's game scream to you "future #1 top 5 goalie" to you? (i mean even taking into account that goalies develop stupidly weird and long, do you even see glimpses of that in his game right now?)

the right move was to keep McBackup for a year, then get another veteran goalie (obviously younger than McBackup) after while we either trade for/develop a backup who could be the Future #1 Goalie of this team when Andersen leaves/prices himself out.

now in regards to his contract - i stand by my original statement. whatever. it's obvious that Dubas was gonna stand by him and we'll see how his game improves. but i still don't think that this is the right goalie that a team with the aspiration that the Leafs have - should have. Or - even if he was - there's nothing to his play that has indicated that he's earned that benefit of the doubt now. He's simply just 'okay'. and i don't know if that's really a good thing.

Are we seriously arguing about a backup being ok vs good? They are backups for a reason. Management went with the cost controlled asset for the very situation this thread is about- the ability to re-sign someone that's been in your organization on the cheap. McElhinney will sign for 1.5+ after this season, something the Leafs cannot afford to do with their situation next season. They thought 2 steps ahead, and even though Sparks has disappointed, he has managed to stay afloat.

Anyways, it's sad that this type of stuff gets so much freaking attention. I'll take Andersen/Sparks over Toskala/Raycroft and Reimer/Bernier, but no, let's piss out pants online over paying a backup goalie almost league minimum.

Reactions: mavis

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
If he doesn't do a good job this season he's certainly not 100% getting claimed

They have a full NHL backup season of experience with him now and have a much better idea of what he is at the NHL level

I very much presume that he's going to have some competition in camp next season and he's going to have to earn his spot or he's getting waivers

From who? Hutch isn't doing too hot in the AHL. .902 for a backup ain't bad. And 7-5 isn't great but could be worse. He definitely has gotten better as the season has worn on. He used to lose his net and over play, hes not now. As said, it's the rebound killing him..and our defense. Look last night Freddy made like 5 or 6 10 bell saves and but hes a Vez candidate. We give up too many high quality chances. If hes screened, or there is a deflection OR it's a snipe how he supposed to save it. People are just pissed we lost Curtis. I wasnt. Dubas made the right call..at some point you have to go with the younger guy..cheaper (which we need now), and it may take some time, even a full year and summer but he will be fine.

Scott and Woll are several years away. I cant see us moving Sparks and what not in a trade because of our depth their now, its weak. He would get claimed 200%. You put him on a real good D team and people would be saying hes great because his numbers would be better.

The issue is D, too many high % chances, not enough boxing guys out to give him a clear look. And if he let's a weak one in, well he hardly plays, and hes a rookie. People last yr said Freddy stunk..while I said he should've been Vez nominee, and by years end he should've. This yr if he gets snubbed the NHL is rigged

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
He is so fundamentally bad that he will likely not get claimed.

Sure thing. Not. His biggest flaw is rebounds, that's how most get in on him. Should I remind you ...look at last night too many high quality chances that we gave up. Most goals recently on him have been screens and deflections, the odd stinker, but when you never play and you're a rookie it's hard. I recall last yr people saying Freddy was garbage etc etc, while I said he was Vez quality and by years end he should've got nominated over Rinne. Anything that goes in people complain.

More than once I've seen, double deflection, guy left alone in front, snipe, and people are like he sucks...um what? He needs to clean up his rebounds yes, and move a bit less, but the huge issue is our team D. You cant give up point blank chances

Last night freddy stole that game. The score wasnt indicative of the play..especially in first. But freddy is vet, and having a vezina calibre year. Do that to a rookie what do you want.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
From who? Hutch isn't doing too hot in the AHL. .902 for a backup ain't bad. And 7-5 isn't great but could be worse. He definitely has gotten better as the season has worn on. He used to lose his net and over play, hes not now. As said, it's the rebound killing him..and our defense. Look last night Freddy made like 5 or 6 10 bell saves and but hes a Vez candidate. We give up too many high quality chances. If hes screened, or there is a deflection OR it's a snipe how he supposed to save it. People are just pissed we lost Curtis. I wasnt. Dubas made the right call..at some point you have to go with the younger guy..cheaper (which we need now), and it may take some time, even a full year and summer but he will be fine.

Scott and Woll are several years away. I cant see us moving Sparks and what not in a trade because of our depth their now, its weak. He would get claimed 200%. You put him on a real good D team and people would be saying hes great because his numbers would be better.

The issue is D, too many high % chances, not enough boxing guys out to give him a clear look. And if he let's a weak one in, well he hardly plays, and hes a rookie. People last yr said Freddy stunk..while I said he should've been Vez nominee, and by years end he should've. This yr if he gets snubbed the NHL is rigged

I've got no problem with Sparks, I've defended him in the Sparks thread numerous times and the decision to make him our backup but it would be incumbent on management to bring in another cheap backup type to give Sparks some competition if he does **** the bed next off-season

Nobody, especially a backup should be assured of there job before training camp, he needs to fight for it and deserve it

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
His role on this team is rather irrelevant ATM, but an injury to FA changes everything.
Insurance is a necessary evil unfortunately.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd rather have somebody better, but I'd rather have Kapanen and Johnsson than a better backup. The playoffs are the only thing that matters and when we're in the dance we ride Freddy until we die. A $2m backup isn't going to win us a playoff series.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why does age matter over ability?

good question. McBackup had the ability but everyone was happy tossing him over a cliff because Sparks was younger. then dismiss it as "it's okay - because Sparks is younger and it was the right choice... because he was younger."

I've been saying it all year. I think it would have behooved the team more had we had a more veteran presence as the backup. i would have someone who had the ability - and has been around the block a bit - over someone who hasn't.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Considering how much a babcock likes to ride his starter (and shows no signs of stopping) plus the Leafs cap crunch next season, having a dirt cheap backup seems like a necessity.

They certainly don’t have the dollars available to buy a premium option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->