Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah, I think Zaitsev is about as good as he's going to get. And same applies to Hyman. Leo had one good offensive year, and then came back down to earth - he's pretty much been the same level of player since coming to the NHL.

An athletes body is in their physical peak in that 22-26ish age range. There obviously some exceptions, but those seem to be more outliers. Can't say I agree that there's been zero mileage on his body - he's been an athletes his entire adult life.

Maybe he improves a bit after getting accustomed to the NHL next season, but I do think what we see is what we get with him.

So you think a player only improves because he gets physically stronger? Do you give no credence to experience? Learning the pro game, the angles to take, the other players, the coaching staff, the goalies means nothing in terms of game improvement?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yea but we'd be better off spreading that offensive threat to another line. Teams already need to stack their best defence against Hyman-Matthews-Nylander. Spread the skill to roll 3 offensive threats and a 4th line that can score.

Agreed fully about depth in scoring is key, though again, ideally the Leafs will be able to introduce enough talent where guys like Hyman will be able to play lower in the lineup while still having depth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So you think a player only improves because he gets physically stronger? Do you give no credence to experience? Learning the pro game, the angles to take, the other players, the coaching staff, the goalies means nothing in terms of game improvement?

Absolutely experience matters, but much of an Athletes performance does come down to pure physical abilities. I'd take the 20-24 year old version of Ovie/Crosby/Stamkos than the 26-30 year old versions. Fact is most forwards in the NHL have played their best season (at least offensively speaking) by 26. The Marleau of 38 isn't anywhere near as good as the Marleau of 22, etc.

Hyman should be viewed as a guy right in the middle of his prime, rookie status or not last year. Doesn't make him a bad player, I think he's a useful one, but he's not going to be able to improve majorly from what he is.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Absolutely experience matters, but much of an Athletes performance does come down to pure physical abilities. I'd take the 20-24 year old version of Ovie/Crosby/Stamkos than the 26-30 year old versions. Fact is most forwards in the NHL have played their best season (at least offensively speaking) by 26. The Marleau of 38 isn't anywhere near as good as the Marleau of 22, etc.

Hyman should be viewed as a guy right in the middle of his prime, rookie status or not last year. Doesn't make him a bad player, I think he's a useful one, but he's not going to be able to improve majorly from what he is.

Agreed with offensively speaking players usually have their prime years a little younger. Defensively though I think they peak much later. They learn how to cheat, know how to react to certain players, they gain that crucial experience to let them take advantage of situations they didn't know they could before.

Hyman might not improve drastically offensively but even if he does a little bit, he's a pretty good quality top 9 player who can slot into a lot of different lines. Defensively and on the forecheck, I think he's going to be a beast.

Jun 27, 2005
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. There is method to Leafs madness with Hyman's usage.

While the Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander trio is still productive at 5v5, Hyman's own personal production puts a strain on the full potential of the line, if he would be replaced with a player that scores more goals and sets up more plays then that has consequences.

The more points Matthews and Nylander score the more their new contracts coming out of ELC will cost the Leafs in terms of Cap/Salary. Putting a drag on potential output, puts a drag on asking price in terms of comparables when Leafs management negotiates next deals.

ie. if Matthews (with Hyman pinned to his hip) produces at 80% of McDavid offensively, then Auston next contract could be 80% of Connor new deal as a comparable. If Leafs could save save +1 mil a year cap X 8 years on both Matthews and Nylander that would be huge in terms of team competitiveness and cap management strategies.

Once resigned Babcock can turn his ponies lose and let them run, and Hyman will take his useful place further down the roster as a checker and Pker full time. ;)

I get what you are saying but it doesn't work that way. Every agent in the world knows these things and will say if Matthews with Hyman get's 80% of McDavid then he would get 110% with JVR so we want $14M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad