Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Calvin Pickard [1 year/$800,000]

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So what do you propose he should have done as a RFA? Don't sign and sit at home for a year? How does that help him.
tell the management he doesn't want to re-sign and they either trade him or they release him

i don't know how not signing and sitting at home for a year would help him. since you came up with that idea maybe you can figure out how it will help him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Waiver eligible + UFA next offseason with Sparks being an RFA. Best case is they trade McBackup, one of those two clears and punt the decision down another year.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
tell the management he doesn't want to re-sign and they either trade him or they release him

i don't know how not signing and sitting at home for a year would help him. since you came up with that idea maybe you can figure out how it will help him.

You don't seem to understand how RFA's work. They don't have to trade him or release him just because he asks nicely. Why would they give up an asset for nothing?

If other teams want him, they can claim him on waivers when he goes down.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He is an RFA, he can't sign with another team unless they offer sheet him - which since he was a waiver pickup for the Leafs, I doubt teams are lining up for.

If he doesn't sign with the Leafs, he doesn't play hockey this year.
he can demand a trade and would probably will get one. he can sign with that team and have a better opportunity to become an nhl backup

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Sweet. I love Mac but there's no way you keep him with Sparks and Pickard both needing waivers next year. Hope one of them can allow Andersen to get some decent rest down the stretch next year.

McBackup had fantastic numbers last year and did his job. If Andersen was overplayed it's not because the backup didn't allow him a chance to rest.

Reactions: Cotton

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You don't seem to understand how RFA's work. They don't have to trade him or release him just because he asks nicely. Why would they give up an asset for nothing?

If other teams want him, they can claim him on waivers when he goes down.
so what happens if he refuses to sign? then what? also, teams don't qualify players quite a bit. that's an example of losing an asset

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Being an RFA takes away pretty much any leverage an AHL goalie could possibly have..
yup, he did the best he could signing a 1 way deal, the Leafs either play him or trade him somewhere else. Either way, he will get his NHL shot.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Certainly very possible he could be claimed on waivers. It's hard to predict with #2/#3 goalies because it depends highly on the goaltending situations of 30 other teams. An injury, a flopping backup, a waiver exempt backup, all factors that could come into play.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
so what happens if he refuses to sign? then what? also, teams don't qualify players quite a bit. that's an example of losing an asset
As an RFA, Toronto own his rights...if he refuses to sign, the Leafs can trade his rights...or he can sit out the year.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

If he refuses to sign he probably plays in Europe for a year until he's a UFA.

Or he signs, competes for the backup job. If he loses and goes on waivers, he'll get another NHL shot when any team can claim him.

Reactions: kevrondl

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
i don't think toronto would want to just keep him sitting out the year.
Maybe, but him refusing to sign/demanding a trade doesn't look to appealing to other teams either. Either way, he's got his wish...by signing a 1 way deal, the Leafs either play him or trade him...he'll get an NHL shot.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe, but him refusing to sign/demanding a trade doesn't look to appealing to other teams either. Either way, he's got his wish...by signing a 1 way deal, the Leafs either play him or trade him...he'll get an NHL shot.
Assuming he's not traded before training camp starts in September, I can see Babcock giving him a fair shot and who knows if he can earn the #2 spot behind Andersen.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Assuming he's not traded before training camp starts in September, I can see Babcock giving him a fair shot and who knows if he can earn the #2 spot behind Andersen.
I'm good with competition, hard to argue with Cmac's results last season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad